Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-07-2014, 04:53 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Blue Dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 383
Residential refrigerator door fix.

Hello all,
Picked up my 38RL today. B.Young RV did a fantastic job fixing the residential refrigerator tipping and door issues.

The freezer door they just put on the half of the strap that Redwood is leaving off. They did find a gray one instead of using the white. For the tipping problem they put a padded brace across the top in the compartment so it can no longer tip. Can't get a picture because it's behind the trim but it is very stable. Then on the refrigerator doors they put a clip at the bottom of each door. Attaching a picture of these. Works slick. If Redwood would incorporate this into production one problem is solved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.9 KB, 32 views)
__________________
Yale & Tammy
2014 F-350 4x4 crew cab, SRW, 6.7, 3.55's, 18K PullRite
2014 Redwood black and Gold 38RL, king slide in slide, 5.5 Onan
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:53 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Blue Dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 383
Pic of bottom of the door
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.9 KB, 20 views)
__________________
Yale & Tammy
2014 F-350 4x4 crew cab, SRW, 6.7, 3.55's, 18K PullRite
2014 Redwood black and Gold 38RL, king slide in slide, 5.5 Onan
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
johnboytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,054
That would be wife - approved - much prettier than the velcro or plywood

keeping it from opening while underway will lessen the chance to tip too !

but still not sure what you mean about the freezer strap ? we don't have anything on the freezer at all
__________________
Ours: '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT followed closely by '14 Jeep 4 dr Wrangler.
Hers: '13 Explorer Sport - AWD 365hp twin turbo scooter!
Previous: '13 Ford F350 CC Platinum and '13 38GK
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Blue Dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
That would be wife - approved - much prettier than the velcro or plywood

keeping it from opening while underway will lessen the chance to tip too !

but still not sure what you mean about the freezer strap ? we don't have anything on the freezer at all
Sorry I thought most people had the mysterious clip on the front of the freezer door without anything to clip in.
Here is the strap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (252.2 KB, 12 views)
__________________
Yale & Tammy
2014 F-350 4x4 crew cab, SRW, 6.7, 3.55's, 18K PullRite
2014 Redwood black and Gold 38RL, king slide in slide, 5.5 Onan
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Blue Dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 383
Here is a wider angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (251.2 KB, 7 views)
__________________
Yale & Tammy
2014 F-350 4x4 crew cab, SRW, 6.7, 3.55's, 18K PullRite
2014 Redwood black and Gold 38RL, king slide in slide, 5.5 Onan
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
Traveling
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 910
Yale, I am wondering about the refrigerator latches. Do the doors still close on their own, or do you have to "push" them closed. Normally on the refrigerator like this one, the doors (during normal use) sort of close on their own when you shut them (as if they were magnetic). I worry that those clips will make them have to be "pushed" close, or they will be slightly open because of the resistance from the clip.

I am pretty excited about the padded brace at the top, but not too sure I want the clips.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Blue Dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
Yale, I am wondering about the refrigerator latches. Do the doors still close on their own, or do you have to "push" them closed. Normally on the refrigerator like this one, the doors (during normal use) sort of close on their own when you shut them (as if they were magnetic). I worry that those clips will make them have to be "pushed" close, or they will be slightly open because of the resistance from the clip.

I am pretty excited about the padded brace at the top, but not too sure I want the clips.
Trust me, you want the clips. You can't even tell they are on there. It might take a little more effort to close but not much if any at all. This fridge has a seal that goes between the two doors so it takes a little effort to close anyway. You won't even notice the clips. If anything it takes more effort to open, but again not much. My wife loves them so far.
__________________
Yale & Tammy
2014 F-350 4x4 crew cab, SRW, 6.7, 3.55's, 18K PullRite
2014 Redwood black and Gold 38RL, king slide in slide, 5.5 Onan
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
johnboytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,054
My concern is that those are the type of clips they put on my 38gk's pantry that opened and it STILL opens....

If I were you, I would still put velcro across the two fridge doors as the shifting may still push it open - but you'll find out whether or not it's needed
__________________
Ours: '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT followed closely by '14 Jeep 4 dr Wrangler.
Hers: '13 Explorer Sport - AWD 365hp twin turbo scooter!
Previous: '13 Ford F350 CC Platinum and '13 38GK
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dogs View Post
Hello all,
Picked up my 38RL today. B.Young RV did a fantastic job fixing the residential refrigerator tipping and door issues.

The freezer door they just put on the half of the strap that Redwood is leaving off. They did find a gray one instead of using the white. For the tipping problem they put a padded brace across the top in the compartment so it can no longer tip. Can't get a picture because it's behind the trim but it is very stable. Then on the refrigerator doors they put a clip at the bottom of each door. Attaching a picture of these. Works slick. If Redwood would incorporate this into production one problem is solved.
Oh no! The dreaded plastic clips that continuously break on my closet door, dish drawer, pantry, and trash can drawer

Maybe they will work better on the fridge given it pretty much closes in a consistent approach, unlike the closet door, but carry some spares!
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:10 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Blue Dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 383
I'll keep an eye on it. I had these clips in my motorhome and not one time did I ever have an issue. I sure like these better than a Velcro strap and a fridge that rocks back and forth 6-8". I'll report back on the success or failure of this mod.
__________________
Yale & Tammy
2014 F-350 4x4 crew cab, SRW, 6.7, 3.55's, 18K PullRite
2014 Redwood black and Gold 38RL, king slide in slide, 5.5 Onan
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.