Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 05:52 PM   #1

Issue with desk drawer

Our slide desk drawer does not seem to slide in all the way any more and we would like to remove it to see if there is something in the way behind it. We called customer service and they said that the drawer could be removed by tipping it up or tipping it down. We do not find that it does either one. Is there some trick or way to remove the drawer or slide it out of the drawer guides so that we can see back in there? Thank you.
Douglass Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:32 PM   #2

Usually on the drawer guides there is a black pointy plastic lever near the rear. Pull one up and push the other down and it should release for you. Being that it is the desk drawer it will be much heavier than a smaller kitchen drawer so you might need an extra set of hands to help support it while you pull it out. When re-installing push the sliding part back into the opening, then push the desk drawer back into the glides. Should be easy. Done it many of times myself.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:19 AM   #3

When I was under there looking at our desk drawer on our 36RL I noticed stop blocks at the rear which prevent the easy removal of the drawer. If you have the Fireplace you can remove the four screws holding it in place, then have access to the back side of all those drawers. Been there done that several time.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:10 AM   #4

Yep your catch is likely broken in the back. Pull the fireplace and remove the catch mech.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:18 AM   #5

Probably the latch. Just had to replace mine and got them on Amazon.

Steve
Old 07-01-2016, 04:48 AM   #6

Not sure if this is the cause, but we experienced this situation because the horizontal cabinet frame piece just below the desk drawer came unattached to the side frame. There's a pocket screw from the horizontal frame board to the side frame that broke out. It was easy to miss, but did not allow the desk to fully seat in the retracted position. I fixed it with an 'L'-bracket by removing the lower file drawer. I'd take a picture, but the unit is in storage. If this is your problem, you don't have to remove the desk, but you do have to remove the drawer by the small black lever on the glide as mentioned above.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
When I was under there looking at our desk drawer on our 36RL I noticed stop blocks at the rear which prevent the easy removal of the drawer. If you have the Fireplace you can remove the four screws holding it in place, then have access to the back side of all those drawers. Been there done that several time.
Thank you and all the others who gave us suggestions. We did end up removing the fireplace in order to access the back of the desk drawer. The latch was not broken but had become "stuck" in the closed position. We have had this happen on another drawer and we were able to open it back up and found that giving it a bit of silicone spray helps it to open and close properly. We were happy to find that this procedure took care of the problem we had and the desk, it closes completely now. Next time we need access behind there we will know what to do. Thank you again for the advice.
Douglass Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #8

I'm of school that the folks that put these things together are not any smarter than me & they care way less on the outcome, so on most everything if I can't fix it some one else will certainly earn their money fixing it after I've tore it apart. My point is some one on these forums has done it & with more pride than any dealer that wants to keep it for weeks, months to fix a minor issue, so ask here first.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:01 PM   #9

Right on Danny. I look at it this way: Even if I don't know what I'm doing, I probably know as much as the assembler who put it together. And since it's mine I want it to be right, not some yahoo if just sticks it back together to get it back out the door.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 11-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #10
HTX

Unsticking the writing desk

After reading this thread I pulled the fireplace but still can not open the long desk drawer. I see the two catches and they are operating as designed but something else is keeping the drawer from opening. It will go out maybe a quarter of an inch and stop. I think it is possible the lid may be slightly elevated causing it to catch on the backside of the cabinet face.

If anyone has had that problem and found a fix please let me know how you did it.

HTX

PS. I did find a disconnected subwoofer back there.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:36 PM   #11

I guess I would pull the drawers on either side of the fire place, then see if I could reach up on the side to reach the lid, or use something to reach up and get on top of the cover and see if it can be pulled down enough to get the drawer open.
I know you do have to be very careful that the lid seats all the way down, because if it's up a little, closing will force it down, but once in it will pop back up and leave you in the situation you find yourself in.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #12

I could be the lid. I noticed if I had something in there too high, it would catch. Last time I was able vigorously shake it enough that stuff moved and the lid closed.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #13

Pound your fist along the bottom of the drawer with hopes that whatever has raised the lid falls down.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 AM   #14
HTX

I've tried all three suggestions. You can't get your hand over the top from the sides just not enough room. So far shaking the drawer has done no good, I think because there is just not enough play to do any good. Pound on the bottom with the two side drawers out has not work either. But I have not tried pounding on it in the center now that the fireplace has been removed. I have hope lol! I'll let you know.

Thanks for the responses

HTX
Old 11-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #15

Seems like a road trip over a rough road might be in order!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:03 AM   #16
HTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Seems like a road trip over a rough road might be in order!
Yeah that one did not work either. I am anchored but I did pay to move the damn thing 70 miles inland for Harvey and the back when power was restored in my old spot. Drawer is still closed.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:09 AM   #17
HTX

With the fireplace out some vigorous shaking on the bottom of the drawer fixed my problem. Now a new question about the sub woofer I found when the fireplace came out.

I'm no audiophile but do like good sounds. The idea of putting my sub, now located in the top left cabinet over the TV is appealing. Neither location is great but has anyone else put one back there or even found one behind the fireplace?
Old 12-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #18

As far as I know all of the older RW's had the sub woofer behind the fireplace. I bought mine used and some Bozo had dropped the wire from the unit down into the fireplace. I never liked the sound in my unit so I just installed a soundbar with a separate wireless sub woofer that I placed behind the recliners. I believe sub woofers are always placed on the floor as it would likely create a lot of rattling if in an overhead cabinet.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #19

We didn't even get a Sub-Woofer with ours, plus we didn't really care for the JBL sound bar. We ended up getting an LG sound bar with wireless sub-woofer. I put our sub-woofer at the end of the sofa.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #20

The later RW models do not have the speakers mounted in the ceiling do they?
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote