Old 11-04-2015, 10:53 PM   #1

Inverter AND converter charging?

I have a question I can't seem to find a direct answer for in the forum. I am wondering on how my unit is charging the house batteries.

Back story: 2015 38RL w/ residential fridge. Factory lead acid batteries changed to AGM maintenance free long time ago. Even if they are maintenance free, I wanted to crack open the battery boxes after a year just to make sure there wasn't any mechanical issues (bugs, wire chaffing, cats, etc.)

On shore power, I turned off my INVERTER to facilitate removing the batteries. I saw the voltage was still 13.2 volts even with the inverter off. I clicked off the CONVERTER and voltage dropped to about 12.6 - about what I would expect for a battery under no load.

So... I have this super fancy INVERTER with computer controlled, battery temperature sensing, battery type programable, super duper maintainer and yet, the basic CONVERTER is charging as well.

Can I just turn off the CONVERTER at the 120v circuit breaker and let the INVERTER take care of the batteries?
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
The convertor supply all 12v power and charges the battery's. The invertor is fed off the batteries and supplies 120v to the residential fridge only
Old 11-04-2015, 11:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
The convertor supply all 12v power and charges the battery's. The invertor is fed off the batteries and supplies 120v to the residential fridge only
I am sure the INVERTER charges as well when on 120v shore power. It can even be programed for battery type, amp hours and charge rate. It also shows charging status (bulk, absorb, equalize & float) as well as charging current.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:54 PM   #4

If your equipment is like mine, it is a Magnum 1000 pure sine inverter/converter combination with a transfer switch. Yes, it works as a converter. You can turn off the second converter and let the Magnum carry the load.

I did notice when looking at the specs (sometime ago) that the Magnum will not charge as fast as the on board converter.

On second thought, it will charge the batteries but I'm not certain that it will provide power for the 12v system. Give it a try by turning off the breaker to your on board converter. I'm fairly sure mine worked with it off....not positive though!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:40 AM   #5

UPDATE: I have been reading the manuals for the Magnum MMS1012 INVERTER and the Progressive PD45920 CONVERTER. From what I can tell, they are both battery chargers BUT the Magnum INVERTER is not designed to provide constant load current once the batteries are charged.

With that in mind, I think I will let the Magnum INVERTER charge the batteries when they are low because of it's advanced charging method but once it has topped off, I'll click on the Progress CONVERTER to cover the normal 12v load of the coach.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-05-2015, 02:25 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilFawlty View Post
I am sure the INVERTER charges as well when on 120v shore power. It can even be programed for battery type, amp hours and charge rate. It also shows charging status (bulk, absorb, equalize & float) as well as charging current.
You are thinking of the main convertor which has the digital readout. The residential fridge invertor has no readout and supplies 120v off the batteries when not connected to a pedestal and has a transfer switch that will run it on 120v when connected to power it runs straight to the 120v plug that the fridge is plugged into and feeds nothing else 1000w
Old 11-05-2015, 02:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
You are thinking of the main convertor which has the digital readout. The residential fridge invertor has no readout and supplies 120v off the batteries when not connected to a pedestal and has a transfer switch that will run it on 120v when connected to power it runs straight to the 120v plug that the fridge is plugged into and feeds nothing else 1000w
Shane,
No, the Magnum, at least in my rig, has a digital display that shows the voltage, charge rate, set the type of batteries etc. It is in the closet with the gen prep, slide and awning switches. It also allows the on/off function of the inverter. When trouble shooting a problem with it last year, Magnum had me run through a series of tests using the display.

The main converter may have a display but it is on board and mounted in the basement and not visible.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:45 AM   #8

Ours is the same as Ken's except our remote for the Inverter is mounted on the outside wall from the slides and other switches. The main converter/charger doesn't have a meter, but it does have a Red LED that indicates different status I believe.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:51 AM   #9

Our Magnum INVERTER in mounted in the basement on the front wall. Its remote is in the command center with tank level monitor, water heater switches, etc.

The Progressive CONVERTER is built into the power distribution panel along with the 120v circuit breakers and 12v fuses. There is a blinking LED light to show its status.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:01 AM   #10

Apparently we are talking about the same thing only different