Old 09-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #11

I have been doing some floor duct maintainance and am noticing foil tape at some seams is letting go have been retaping on a as needed basis

Also noticing some return air leaks too but it's in the ceiling living areas drawing air around light cutouts too can tell by dust on old lights when I put led s in.

Leaks r opening up with age and heat from sun.
Proteus
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:32 AM   #12

Best tool for adding additional return ducts is an oscilating tool with a fine tooth half-round saw attachment.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

'18 GMC Denali 3500HD CC, 4x4, DRW, DuraMax, Allison, Curt Q25 w/OEM Prep, Intellihaul Cameras, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #13

To check my ducts and other hard to see places, I bought an endoscope on Amazon. Couple this with a cell phone and a snake, you can see most anywhere. They can be cleaned with hot water and alcohol, so you can even send it down the toilet to find a blockage.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott & Vicky View Post
To check my ducts and other hard to see places, I bought an endoscope on Amazon. Couple this with a cell phone and a snake, you can see most anywhere. They can be cleaned with hot water and alcohol, so you can even send it down the toilet to find a blockage.
I have the same scope also comes on very handy. Very cheap to purchase as well
Old 10-04-2018, 03:20 AM   #15

We found that the A/C return air intake is located on one side of a truss and the return air duct is on the other side of the truss. They cut slots thru the truss so the unit could breathe but they are way too small. Widening them is the only way to get enough return air to the unit. In our case, adding extra intakes won't help because the restriction is the truss.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:22 AM   #16

Sorry for the late reply but I am having lots of issues getting the forum to accept a post from me. Sent the admin a message
Old 10-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Mary View Post
We found that the A/C return air intake is located on one side of a truss and the return air duct is on the other side of the truss. They cut slots thru the truss so the unit could breathe but they are way too small. Widening them is the only way to get enough return air to the unit. In our case, adding extra intakes won't help because the restriction is the truss.
Wow! That's just a big bowl of wrong.
shrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Mary View Post

guess i need to look up there into duct not much hope of fixing what is sealed into upper ceiling but it seems every time i look at a item to fix there is a little something to repair.

always

karl b.
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #19

One thing I have noticed on our 38rl while trying to find why air flow isn't what it should be is I have noticed that when I remove the vent covers and stick my hand in the ductwork that the four air ducts forward of where the unit is located in the living/kitchen area there seems to be a huge amount of air movement going toward the front of the trailer where if you do the same with the vents towards the back of the trailer there is not nearly as much as going the other way. It almost seems that it would be better if the air conditioner was located at the rear of the trailer where it could blow all the air in one direction instead of splitting it two ways.
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #20

I've done all the improvements that have been discussed here on my RL - like cutting the collars and cleaning the filters, etc..

Last year, I added two additional return air intakes to each A/C using same factory grilles, etc. The additional volume of air was noticeable on the rear unit, but the improvement on the front unit was minimal. Turns out that the return air ducts are minimally sized and then the wire bundles passing through the ducts and the sprayfoam invading all the joints cuts down on airflow further. Seems like the add'l ducts would need to be closer to the unit, but then the noise will probably also increase.

Also have the lame airflow to the bedroom issue. It seems like the restriction (or leakage) is on the pressure side somewhere between the bathroom and the bedroom. Good pressure in the bathroom and then minimal flow from the bedroom ducts. While cutting the bedroom collars, I noticed that the air ducts continue forward and into the closet. That's a good 6 feet of additional duct beyond the last outlet. Not sure if they are even sealed above the closet ceiling.

Anyone ever seal off the ducts after the bedroom outlets, or add outlets in the closet ceiling at end of the ducts?
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

'18 GMC Denali 3500HD CC, 4x4, DRW, DuraMax, Allison, Curt Q25 w/OEM Prep, Intellihaul Cameras, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote