Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 11:14 PM   #1

8000.lbs axles,electrice brakes

Just a heads up to all that may have the LCI brakes. I inspected my brakes and found that the grease seals failed on the 2 passenger side brakes and also found that the mounting bolt for the magnet had lost its retainer nut on the back side of the backing plate. the magnet bolt took out the drum and the wire that runs around a pully. I only have 6000. miles on my rig. the good thing is that LCI has shipped me all new brakes , drums and seals. LCi said the retainer nut should be torqued to 50 ft. lbs. but my torque chart is showing 120 ft. lbs.
LCI passenger side brake.jpg

LCI brake cable and pully broke off.jpg
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:11 AM   #2

That's about the same mileage I got out of mine before finding all 4 contaminated with grease.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #3

I messed with the drum brakes on our previous TT for years. No more, with the disk brakes we had put on at the rally!
Old 08-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #4

IMHO grease fittings on the axles was possibly the worst thing ever. one to many pumps and the seals are gone, or rather, the grease is forced past the seal. Had to replace one on our 2016 when we first got it. I did not even bother to have the people who think this is a good idea messing with it. Discs in our future. FWIW if you want to replace backing plate, shoes and all, Amazon has a pretty good price for a set of two (one axle) complete set, four or five bolts and two wires and you have new brakes, assuming the drums are still good, which mine were. Repack bearings by hand, messy but at least you know what you have. Too much riding on this system to take any chances for me.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:23 PM   #5

LCI 's spindles have a off set size so the chance of buying another brand that will match the backing plate bolt pattern on the spindle is slime . e-trailer sent me 2 Dexter backing plates and no fit so sent back and LCI sent me 2 complete sets backing plates and drums free of charge.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET156 View Post
LCI 's spindles have a off set size so the chance of buying another brand that will match the backing plate bolt pattern on the spindle is slime . e-trailer sent me 2 Dexter backing plates and no fit so sent back and LCI sent me 2 complete sets backing plates and drums free of charge.

WOW ,I didn't think LCI was going to step up but that great news! Also didn't know there own brand of axels has a proparitary bolt pattern !
Old 08-27-2018, 01:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET156 View Post
I only post my experience, the brakes from Amazon worked perfectly, bolt pattern and all. Glad LCI stepped up for you.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #8

Another service item moving up the priority list brakes bearings seals drums resurface

brake overhaul

karl b.
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote