Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #1

We have a 2012 36FL. Ive washed and waxed it regularly, paint is now fading on the top of the front cap and the lower deck on rear cap. I have the standard beige/white paint. We even paid big bucks to have body treated with something "guaranteed" to prevent thiswhen first bought. Anyone else having paint issues. I wouldnt expect fade this soon, especially since we arent that often exposed to direct sunlight.
Thxs
Edited by: martaz
martaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

My 2012 RL did same thing. Had to have front cap replaced.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #3

Well, Redwood only Okd dealer to rub out front/rear caps which they did. Although it looks new I had already done this before, it looked new then as well but only lasted a few months then faded again, worse than ever. I guess I now have to battle with the manufacturer. Just over a year old and already fading, even with the extra Trident finish protection and regular maintenance by me. Another issue among the many, many, many I have had with this poor quality rig. It is the most troublesome I have ever owned, easily surpassing my other rigs issues, all combined, over their entire life, and its well under two years old!
If I could do it over I would think long and hard before buying a Redwood product.
martaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #4

had mine 3 weeks and the problems started day 1 . its headed back to the factory Monday.
pipeliner798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #5

Martaz,

I had the same issue with my 2012 FL. Took it and had oxidation buffed out and then waxed. It looked as good as new when I picked it up. Within 2 weeks the oxidation had returned. My dealer says the only solution now is to paint the frontcap. Sure hope they can match up the paint to the color of the fiberglass.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #6

We have a 2012RW which we have had for 2 and half years and the paint has faded on both the front and rear caps. I have buffed out the paint several times. The day we picked up our Redwood we have live in it full time. We are thinking on taking our unit in and have the caps repainted and pay for it ourselves. This way we know it will be done right.
Camphost
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #7

I agree with thinking long and hard. The lack of quality control and engineering errors is beyond belief. When I tried to talk to the RW rep he said "it is what it is". Well what it is is sad. We have the right to expect decent quality and engineering. We got neither. Don't tell me to be nice. Anyone should know the hot water goes on the left and the right speaker should be wired to the right side. I hope you get your paint fixed.
rayrussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrussel
I agree with thinking long and hard. The lack of quality control and engineering errors is beyond belief. When I tried to talk to the RW rep he said "it is what it is". Well what it is is sad. We have the right to expect decent quality and engineering. We got neither. Don't tell me to be nice. Anyone should know the hot water goes on the left and the right speaker should be wired to the right side. I hope you get your paint fixed.
You know for the money you have to lay out for one of these units you would think they would have a quality and engineering program match. There quality program can't be that good with the amount of problems you read about on this forum.
Camphost
Old 09-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #9

Sorry about your problems. We have had our 36RL for a little over a year. Had a few minor problems that the dealer took care of initially, a couple later on that I took care of myself with material from Redwood. This is our third full time rig since I retired in 2002. First was a Montana Big Sky, second was a Carriage Carri-lite, our third is this Redwood 36RL. I have had fewer problems with this Redwood that I had with the other two. I don't care what you buy, there is the possibility of getting a bad one. I have been at a restaurant where I get a bad meal or service. One time doesn't mean that I will never visit that restaurant again. I will be a little more cautious, but will give them another chance. Bought a new Chevy 3/4 ton in 1978. It was in the shop numerous times in the year we had it with mainly transmission problems. Finally got rid of it, but had other Chevy's since, and am currently driving a Chevy 3500 DRW. There are some Redwood owners that have had problems, but I think there are many more that are very satisfied with their unit. A person has to look at and live life realistically.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

Right. I realistically expect:
Entry door keyless entry system to operate (replaced twice)
Shower to be plumbed correctly
Shower door to be caulked
Surround sound to be wired correctly
Entry steps not to be bent
Wheel finish not to be stained by corrosive material
Sewer discharge connection to be accessible
Sewer hose storage to be accessible
To have a few towel bars
For the hardware and trim to match
For the carpet not to buckle when the slides close
To be able to open the frig door when the slides are closed
To be able to operate the surround sound system which sits low in the cabinet and behind an oblique glass which is out of range to the system remote control
For the entry door threshold not to bend and rock back and forth to the point it is almost broken and a tripping hazard
For the wood putty to match the wood stain
For the walk in closet not to be unbearably hot and stuffy
For my e-mails to customer service to be returned

These are a few of the things I consider realistic.
rayrussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #11

Honestly, we still should try to remember that this is a luxury "optional" item and that even on the sticks and bricks I've built over the years the punch list has been long

There are probably a few people in the middle east, etc... or in a third world country like New York ( )

that would love to have to put up with these problems....

johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #12

Don't know who you have been e-mailing or talking to @ Redwood, but they have been great to me, always respond to e-mails very promptly and offer repairs or material without question!!! This is my 4th 5er and have had issues with all, but no manufacturer as eager to take care of the problems as Redwood.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #13

I had to get in touch with the production manager to get anything done. Had it 3 weeks , it leaves to go back to factory at redwood expense and they say it will be back In a week. They put us up in a nice cabin until its back. just hope it comes back right.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #14

I would have to put your list into several categories.

Keyless entry system: This is not a Redwood product. It is either an RV Lock product or some other brand. The problem is actually the product manufacturers problem and can not be blamed on Redwood.

Shower Plumbing
Shower Door caulking
Surround sound wiring
Carpet buckling
Wood Putty: These are problems Redwood should correct.

Bent entry steps
Wheel finish: There is a good probability that these were caused in transit or at the dealer, and should be handled by them.

Sewer discharge connection
Sewer hose storage
Towel bars
Frig door opening
Walk in closet: These are items that should have been considered before purchase. If a person didn't like the way they were, and couldn't put up with or correct them, then they shouldn't have purchased.

Hardware & trim
surround sound
entry door
e-mails: I wouldn't want to categorize without knowing cause or actually seeing problem.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #15

rcflame how would you list my problems? middle leveling jacks won't come down, shower leaked everywhere, fridge got so hot if you touched the wood it would burn your hand due to them leavinga ppiece of wood they should have cut out and fan didn't work, when pulled slide in the trim around fridge was too long and ripped all the lineoium up, one speaker on surround sound won't work, have to slam the door so hard it shakes the trailer and wakesup entire park, the trim ffalling down, all this in first few days of owning it.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #16

pipeliner
Some of your problems would be on Redwoods back. Some possible exceptions would be the leveling jacks, refrigerator fan and the speaker. This would depend on what the cause of the problem was, whether it was installation or a product defect. What I was getting at in my categorization was no all problems are Redwoods. Some belong to the dealer, some to the product manufacture, and some to ourselves for choices we made.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #17

yea, I know. I just think the quality isn't where it should be. They came and got mine this morning and its headed back in the production line.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame
..... and some to ourselves for choices we made.
? How are we to blame?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #19

In my opinion Redwood has a 2+3 year warranty on their fifth wheel trailers. The first 2 years they cover 100% of warranty repair even If it is the leveling jacks, refrigerator fans and speakers or any other defect. Redwood should cover the repairs not the product manufacturer. If Redwood continues to have problems with their suppliers they need to change them. I also agree that if you order your unit you should know what you are getting before you pay for it.

Camphost
Old 09-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame
..... and some to ourselves for choices we made.
? How are we to blame?
Brad - might want to check out Roger's previous well written summation regarding a litany of issues. Some of the issues listed, if a concern, should have been identified prior to purchase - accessibility of black outlet, hose storage, lack of towel rails.

Like you we changed the bed cover and if RW had supplied towel rails the "Boss" would probably have changed them anyway.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote