Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #1

Hitch for short bed

Hi,
This is truly a newbie Question!
With the 2018 3901WB which we are proud owners of will I need a sliding hitch in a Ford short bed or will the trailer allow for the use of a stationary hitch.
I welcome any advice.
Thanks!
Miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #2

I purchased the Pullrite SuperGlide with the rail kit. I can run no rails and have a flat deck, and I have no worries that my rear window will get hit.
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #3

where are you located, I have a pull rite superglide that I will let go for a song just to get it out of the garage !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #4

Before I upgraded to a long bed truck, I also used the Pullrite. Everything is automatic and no getting out of the truck to lock and unlock. The only thing negative I can say about the hitch is that it takes two guys (or a winch) to remove it from your truck when not in use.

I sold mine to my friend and he leaves it in the truck most of the time....
Old 07-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
Before I upgraded to a long bed truck, I also used the Pullrite. Everything is automatic and no getting out of the truck to lock and unlock. The only thing negative I can say about the hitch is that it takes two guys (or a winch) to remove it from your truck when not in use.

I sold mine to my friend and he leaves it in the truck most of the time....

When I take mine out, it comes out in pieces....
1- the head
2-the slider part
3- the way tubes
4- the base
5- each base rail...

that makes it much more manageable.....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:35 PM   #6

My truck has a demco auto slide. it uses standard rails and as the trailer turns past 20* it also starts going back from the cab. the pull rite seams to be very common at the dealers , more so then demco. I haven't noticed any bang or odd noise from the hitch like some owners complain about. Its heavy , some place around 250+ lbs to take it out you can break it down into 2 large parts the head and base come apart with one large pin , no tools required. I think they have two different mounting systems , rails and OEM pucks if I recall. One leaves the bed clear and the rail system does not. Both are about the same money.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:21 PM   #7

I guess Mark and I are the only ones on the board using the demco.

You might get by with a stationary hitch but why? Get an auto slider and you never have to think about it.

I know some of the spots I have backed into with my monster the last thing on my mind was cab to corner clearance. And I don’t mean thati wasn’t worried because i have a slider, i mean i was so worried hitting something with the back, sides, top, or front of the truck i never thought about the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tangoparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #8

We use an Andersen Hitch and love it. We have a short box, but because the ball from the hitch is set back toward the tailgate it gives enough room for the camper to easily clear the back cab. They provide an adapter kit to convert your kingpin to accept the ball from the hitch assembly. The pros are many, the cost, for one, $550 on Amazon, it doesn't kink if on uneven terrain like a conventional hitch, it's light (one person can easily remove it from the bed), the strength (check out the video on andersenhitches.com), easily attaches to either a rail system or a gooseneck ball in your bed. We've been using it for three years and have been coast to coast and still love it.
ShawnAZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #9

Same as Shawn. Have a Mega Cab Short Bed Ram and an Andersen. I have never gotten the nose close to the cab. Pulled all over most of the country and no issues. And just because 1 person can carry it does not mean it is flimsy. It has a 24K rating.

Rick
Old 07-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #10

Slider?

I have a B&W hitch in a short bed GMC. This is a non slider and I have never had a problem turning past 90 degrees. The design of the front cap allows for clearance. I have the GM puck system and this leaves the truck bed clear when the hitch is not installed. I highly recommend this option when anyone is getting a new truck. At least in the GM there is no hassle installing the hitch and it is very solid when clamped down. There is also the center hole for a gooseneck ball. The B&W is far superior to the Reese I had before on my last truck. Super easy to hook and unhook. It has the head and base in two separate pieces so 1 person can easily lift it. Hope this helps.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #11

We have a short bed 2015 Dodge Larmie Larado dually, we have been using Pullrite sliding hitches for 15 years, bought conversation rails to install my old hitch in our new Dodge when we purchased it 3 years ago. You can purchase rails that will install in your ford. We have never had a problem with our hitch and its been pulling our current Redwood for over 120k miles
Old 07-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLJDM View Post
We have a short bed 2015 Dodge Larmie Larado dually, we have been using Pullrite sliding hitches for 15 years, bought conversation rails to install my old hitch in our new Dodge when we purchased it 3 years ago. You can purchase rails that will install in your ford. We have never had a problem with our hitch and its been pulling our current Redwood for over 120k miles
120,000 miles on your Redwood ??? That is simply amazing !!

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:05 AM   #13

We have a theory, since we are retired, are paying for the Redwood, might as well see the country that I defended for over 40 years.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:11 AM   #14

Thank you for your service Colonel!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #15

5th wheel touching tow truck when turning short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
Hi,
This is truly a newbie Question!
With the 2018 3901WB which we are proud owners of will I need a sliding hitch in a Ford short bed or will the trailer allow for the use of a stationary hitch.
I welcome any advice.
Thanks!

I have a 2014 36re and a 2010 Dodge Mega Cab short bed with a manual slider but previously had a stationary one. Without the slider at sometime you will get into the back of the cab, I know because I did but I saw what was happening and stopped just in time. It only scrubbed the very corner of my truck but if I had not stopped to check there would have been a total different story.
My 2014 36re has only been pulled about 3000 miles but due to health I am needing to sell it. Anyone interested please contact me. It has been stored under a complete shed since new.

Albert in Alabama
a20345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:10 AM   #16

No slider here. Reese factory from Ford. 28k works great.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #17

short boxes

There are several hitch options for short boxes. We chose the clean bed technology and preferred the full weight of the hitch over the C/L of my axle. I don't believe going aft of the center line is desirable for any sustained period of time. I also prefer the auto sliding ability of a hitch. To my knowledge, that leaves Demco and PullRite as the only true auto-sliders. Although, both use a gear system, I believe the PullRite is in a league of it's own and is also on the higher end of costs. There is always adequate space when making even the tightest of turns and plenty of clearance over the rails. Our whole unit is removable leaving the truck bed clean and having no rails. We also have a Trail-Aire hitch pin with an air-bag helping to cushion the bumps and bridge approaches. I also had MorRyde install their IS and disc braking system and installed 17.5 inch rims and Goodyear G-114 tires. The fact is, road hazards are everywhere and tight turns inevitable, yet despite the most well equipped hitches, best tires, pin boxes, suspensions, etc., nothing will guarantee outcomes. Much of it still has to do with your comfort level and your ability to exercise good judgement, and that includes your weight and speed traveled.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #18

We have a GMC with a standard (6.5') bed and are hauling 3901 WB
We installed the demco auto slide and love it.. no getting in or out of the truck, and better yet, no "chucking".. I think a minor advantage to the demco is that if you get your rig where you want it and your truck and coach aren't perfectly straight, you can back off the "capture rails" on the hitch and pull away..
But.. I much as I like the unit, I don't think it's necessary. The nose of the unit is radiused enough so I believe there would be no contact with a fixed hitch.. so, you really don't need the auto slide .
Bigrisky is offline   Reply With Quote