Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379
I'm just curious and this might be helpful for the factory as well as the potential buyer.

For all of you that currently have Redwoods or Blackwoods...what little annoyances would you like to see changed in your trailers. We're all grownups and I think we all understand that these units can't weigh as much as our brick and stick homes but there's also those little things that would add convenience.

Also keep in mind that the engineers have to balance these trailers so going down the road with 1000 gallon grey water tanks simply wont work. However...once our new dream home comes to us, we also see those little things that wouldn't add much cost or weight to our rigs

Just wondering



__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Grandpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 304
It would be nice to have a couple of LED lights under the stepsinside the unitto help avoid a night time accident. We have the 36RL and it gets pretty dark in that sucker at night.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
TravelinAnderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 539
One thing I'd like to see on our 36FL has already been addressed and that is side windows in the slide out. When we're traveling through Indiana I may see if the factory can retrofit some in for me.
Another window issue I'd like to see changed concern the front windows on either side of the sofa. They are fixed pane windows and it would be nice if they opened to aide in air circulation.
Some windows above the kitchen door and table, up near the ceiling, to let a little more natural light in would be nice too.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa
It would be nice to have a couple of LED lights under the stepsinside the unitto help avoid a night time accident. We have the 36RL and it gets pretty dark in that sucker at night.
Well that seems like an easy fix

__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
One thing I'd like to see on our 36FL has already been addressed and that is side windows in the slide out. When we're traveling through Indiana I may see if the factory can retrofit some in for me.
Another window issue I'd like to see changed concern the front windows on either side of the sofa. They are fixed pane windows and it would be nice if they opened to aide in air circulation.
Some windows above the kitchen door and table, up near the ceiling, to let a little more natural light in would be nice too.
That's a good idea but I'm not sure they can add a window or 2 without adding framing in the wall as well. But it might be worth the question.
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
5th_Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,121

I'd like to see some changes to the sales/ordering process. Here is a previous post:



A simple list of the available options, descriptions, and MSRP would bring them light years ahead. I only found out about the optionsafter Andy emailedme the MSRP option sheet. Did you know that although the RL does not come with ottomans, you can special order them from the RE or FL?I never knew you could order "custom order" additional COAX for theWinegard SK-3005 or add/remove cabinets or windows. Our Redwoods are designed for two coach batteries, but they only are built with one. If you want a 2nd matching battery installed while it's on the line, sorry... that option is not available. Go figure...



Eventually, how about a "build your own" site like the car companies have. For instance, if you chose the "Onan Marquis Gold LP Generator" option, it would pop-up "Requires Generator Prep" option and "Requires 40lb Propane Tanks" option.



You can imagine some of the problemsthey have to resolve after delivery... like those who order the "3 Burner Cooktop w/3 Drawers" in lieu of the oven, and then don't orderthe "Convection Microwave" option. Or ordering the 2nd Power Awning and the Slide Awnings at the same time. Or how about forgetting to order the G614s option... Yikes.



The point is, there are many fussy people like us that research and build our own custom units on paper anyway, and then involve the dealer only as the "gateway" to the factory. More information, descriptions, photos of the options, and pricingwould free up the Sales Managers to make more contacts and resolve real problems.
__________________
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2019 RAM 3500 Limited 8', CC, 4x4, DRW, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Curt A30 w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
I'd like to see some changes to the sales/ordering process. Here is a previous post:



A simple list of the available options, descriptions, and MSRP would bring them light years ahead. I only found out about the optionsafter Andy emailedme the MSRP option sheet. Did you know that although the RL does not come with ottomans, you can special order them from the RE or FL?I never knew you could order "custom order" additional COAX for theWinegard SK-3005 or add/remove cabinets or windows. Our Redwoods are designed for two coach batteries, but they only are built with one. If you want a 2nd matching battery installed while it's on the line, sorry... that option is not available. Go figure...



Eventually, how about a "build your own" site like the car companies have. For instance, if you chose the "Onan Marquis Gold LP Generator" option, it would pop-up "Requires Generator Prep" option and "Requires 40lb Propane Tanks" option.



You can imagine some of the problemsthey have to resolve after delivery... like those who order the "3 Burner Cooktop w/3 Drawers" in lieu of the oven, and then don't orderthe "Convection Microwave" option. Or ordering the 2nd Power Awning and the Slide Awnings at the same time. Or how about forgetting to order the G614s option... Yikes.



The point is, there are many fussy people like us that research and build our own custom units on paper anyway, and then involve the dealer only as the "gateway" to the factory. More information, descriptions, photos of the options, and pricingwould free up the Sales Managers to make more contacts and resolve real problems.
I think that's a good point. I didn't know a second awning was an option if it weren't for this forum. And additional options would add $$$ to the dealers. If the dealers are making more $$$than they'll also get more dealers.
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
Member
 
DoddsCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 47
I would like to be able to access the front cargo compartment while the RV is hitched to my truck. Some RV's have a split access door on the front compartment so you can access the compartment.
__________________
2012 Redwood 36RE, 2009 Ford F250 diesel
DoddsCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Member
 
Flyfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 50
Here are a few modifications I will be making. While I don't mind having a project or two it would have been nice if they were already included or at least options on our 36RE.
1. Built in storage for extra sewer hose
2. Temporary labels on switches until we learn what switch goes to where.
3.Owner name plate on the front door
4. Door bell
5. Retaining device on pantry drawers to prevent interior damage to the door while on the road
6. Towel bars in the bathroom
7. Someplace to set a glass of wine when seated on the living room couch or the recliners. We may take one of the recliners out and add a small table in it's place.Might replace or modify the ottoman to act as a coffee table.
8. Rack for stem ware

Bottom line here is we love our coach and if we didn't do a darn thing to it we would still be happy campers. It's kind of fun making some additions and changes just to make it our own and to fit our life style.
__________________
Brett and Jan
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Happy Camper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 429
The switch labels would be great - I just made my own. I added the cup holder to the wall beside the couch. We, too are very happy with our 36RE.
__________________
Happy campers - Kerry and Jere. 2010 Dodge 3500HD DRW with 5K ultimate airlift airbags and 2012 Redwood 36RE.
Happy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
mhs4771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,367


I plan to take our unit to a local Service Center that Ideal with, they specialize in re-builds and mods. I want to have a small access door installed above the genny compartment (already checked with Redwood and no problem having it done, they just won't do it at the Factory). There is almost 2 feet of dead space there and will work perfect to storage of power cables and extention cords. You can get to it nowfrom the battery compartment, but ifanything slides towards the curb side you'll never be able to reach it.
A lot of the little mods are what make it "Your's". A towel rack installed at the Factory, might not be where we would like one. We're already making our list of mods, but it should be shorter than our Montana, since many of the major options we're have done at the Factory so we don't have too.
__________________
Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771

I plan to take our unit to a local Service Center that Ideal with, they specialize in re-builds and mods. I want to have a small access door installed above the genny compartment (already checked with Redwood and no problem having it done, they just won't do it at the Factory). There is almost 2 feet of dead space there and will work perfect to storage of power cables and extention cords. You can get to it nowfrom the battery compartment, but ifanything slides towards the curb side you'll never be able to reach it.
A lot of the little mods are what make it "Your's". A towel rack installed at the Factory, might not be where we would like one. We're already making our list of mods, but it should be shorter than our Montana, since many of the major options we're have done at the Factory so we don't have too.
I'll have to look at the extra door but it sounds like a great idea
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
mhs4771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,367


Because we don't have a Genny in the Montana, that part of the front storage is where all our water hoses and power cables are hung on the wall and several totes with misc articles in the bottom. So I'm looking for places to store those items. Some things can be put into the in-bed tool box once I deliver the dual Hondas to their new owner. I just wish Redwood would give you the option of LED lighting instead of all those Halogens that they use. We don't do a lot of boondocking, but still try to keep the current draw down to help prolong battery life, not to mention the large amout of heat that can be generated by those lites.
__________________
Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
KR2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 959
I would like to change the lighting, add a bar, if it was possible I would add the slide in a slide, a third air conditioner ( which I will add anyway), heat pads for the holding tanks, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things but I will know more when we get it home.
__________________

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
I would like to change the lighting, add a bar, if it was possible I would add the slide in a slide, a third air conditioner ( which I will add anyway), heat pads for the holding tanks, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things but I will know more when we get it home.

They putheat duct right in the tank area so you don't need heating pads.
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
KR2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 959
Oh yes I do that heat duct won't keep the tanks from freezing when it gets to the mid teens and lower for an extended perioof time, I found this out a long time ago, when they test these rigs for their artic packages they fill all of the tanks with room temperature water and turn on the furnace while the rig is in dometic's real world test freezer, the rig will pass muster if everything works during the 24 hour test. So if you consider the fact that you have 239 gallons of water with a constant heat source for 24 hours the water will not freeze but if the test were any longer in time I promise it will freeze.
__________________

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
COLJDM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 567
We installed (glued) hand towel rack and washcloth rack to opposing sides of shower wall nearest sink in our 36FL. We toyed with the idea of gluing a towel bar on the door but my wife decided to use the open storage in the cabinet next to the toilet and rolled up the towels and placed washcloths in a small basket. I agree on the naming of switches perhaps a post it note could be used untll our memory kicks in! We have a small table between the recliners in our coach, it came with the unit and small tables at either end of the couch also came with the unit, those are quite helpful. Years back I purchased a glass stemware holder from West Marine (teak wook, and pricey) but it worked well in our last rig. We elected to purchase stemless wine glasses for our new coach. We also installed an undercounter coffee maker under the cabinets above the left side of the sink. There is a electrical receptacle there and the cord can be placed in the coffee maker cord storage when not in use. We are thinking about having some LED strips installed on the interior steps to act as a night light/guide when we have guests staying with us.
__________________
John and "Sam"
COLJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #18
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLJDM
We installed (glued) hand towel rack and washcloth rack to opposing sides of shower wall nearest sink in our 36FL. We toyed with the idea of gluing a towel bar on the door but my wife decided to use the open storage in the cabinet next to the toilet and rolled up the towels and placed washcloths in a small basket. I agree on the naming of switches perhaps a post it note could be used untll our memory kicks in! We have a small table between the recliners in our coach, it came with the unit and small tables at either end of the couch also came with the unit, those are quite helpful. Years back I purchased a glass stemware holder from West Marine (teak wook, and pricey) but it worked well in our last rig. We elected to purchase stemless wine glasses for our new coach. We also installed an undercounter coffee maker under the cabinets above the left side of the sink. There is a electrical receptacle there and the cord can be placed in the coffee maker cord storage when not in use. We are thinking about having some LED strips installed on the interior steps to act as a night light/guide when we have guests staying with us.

You've brought up 3 points that others have brought up too. #1 LED lights on stairs #2 wine glass holder and #3 labels on switches. These should be easy fixes
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
KR2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 959


I will also be adding a lot of extra insulation to the tank area for better winter tank protection.
__________________

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
John317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011

I will also be adding a lot of extra insulation to the tank area for better winter tank protection.
Have there been problems with freezing?
John317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×