Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2019, 02:28 AM   #1

Water coming from light fixture in ceiling

We have water dripping from living room ceiling light. It rained today while we were gone and we also had A/C running. Could either of these be the issue? We never had it leak before. We have had the RV for three years, bought it used, it's a 2012.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #2

Time to get up on the roof and have a good look around...if you are not experienced at what to look for find someone who is....Look for cracks in any of the self level (lap sealant)....or any flaws in the roof membrane...Remember the roof is sloped on this end of your trailer so water may be getting in somewhere and traveling to the light fixture......also the AC units may need to be tightened down....as their seal / gasket does compress eventually....

Wes
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #3

leaking ac seal

When our 2015 31sl was new, we had water coming into our island light fixture. Turned out the seal around the ac wasn't caulked. Easy fix and no long term damage.
Kalispellcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #4

I would also check your antenna. The cable seal on mine did not have any sealant and water was getting in to the a/c duct and then ran down to a light fixture that happened to be installed in the duct.
shartflhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #5

Leak

Mine did same thing. Turned out it was the roof vent cover cam off. Not the vent cover but roof vent. It’s about 5 to 6 inches round should be two of them , one front and one back.it came unscrewed and wyer came down my living room light. ..hope that’s helps you.
Alradil1@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #6

Check the attic vents mentioned, if replaced add a drop of thread lock to it when replacing & to the one left on also.
Also check the shaft that raised the batwing tv antenna, mine leaked, took it apart & added some dielectic silicone grease to the orings & stopped it.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #7

Thank you for your responses. It took some work to figure out what was leaking. It wasn't anything with the A/C. Turns out there was a very small cut in the roof from a tree branch or something that must have hit it and water leaked in there. The cut was so small it took a lot to find it.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:53 AM   #8

Fan

Your blower is on low speed or you have vents that are closed. In this heat you cannot run the blowers at low speed. Your unit is icing up. You need as much air passing through these units as possible. Also make sure the filters on the return vents are clean.You need to turn it off and let all the ice melt.. it might defrost faster if you turn off the ac but turn the blower on manual fast speed.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Thank you for your responses. It took some work to figure out what was leaking. It wasn't anything with the A/C. Turns out there was a very small cut in the roof from a tree branch or something that must have hit it and water leaked in there. The cut was so small it took a lot to find it.
Thats great you found the leak....When I worked at the dealership we would offer a roof inspection and minor touch up for $80....When i say minor touch-up ...I mean a little dicor (lap sealant) here and there....where ever some pulled back...or cracked...basically maintenance....we would clean the area effected with a little cleaner and apply the dicor.....I used to take care of the inspections my self as my techs never seemed fussy enough...I had some stickers I used to place where ever something needed some attention and one of the techs would take care of it...I can honestly say that I rarely went on a roof and did not find a problem (or potential problem) some where....RV roofs are prone to failure....its the nature of how they are constructed and materials used...At the very minimum (I feel this is too long) every 6 months a good look is needed....I go 3 months on my RV's sometimes less....and have a look when ever I am up on the roof...The heating and cooling (expansion and contraction)....flexing of the coach....age... all play hell on the roof....And what is the killer of an RV ? Water intrusion...I guess its great for RV sales....Wes
2015 38RL / 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote