Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #1

Rubber Gaskets On Slide Outs

Awhile back in 2016 while traveling, had a gasket on my LR slide out separate at top corner where top overlaps the side gasket and tear, I bought some garage door gasket material as it is similar type rubber material and tried every kind of glue made for rubber over weeks of travel and was unsuccessful in creating any kind of bond that would hold for any length of time.
Tiara RV in Elkwood Ind tried to repair trying to do me a favor and put a new piece of rubber on and glued but it only worked for a couple of days. Long story short, finally got to Florida, went to Alliance coach in Wildwood Fl, and they replaced entire gasket and all is well. Mechanic told me they use Super glue to adhere the rubber, I had tried a couple of those with no good results.
Well here I am parked in Titusville Fl, and checking and treating my slide gaskets, notice my other LR slide separating at corner where top gasket is bonded to side gasket. I start to panic not again, then I remember, while at Tampa Rv show in 2015, I purchased a product called Max 1, that states "the only glue you will ever need".
I keep it in my fridge as it extends life of product, so I got it out cut two squares of rubber applied some of the glue bonded them together, and within seconds, was unable to pull them apart, I climbed up to my slide gasket and applied a small amount of glue to the separated gasket, I then reinforced with a small piece of rubber overlay, and the result was fantastic this was two months ago and still bonded tight.
This product is called MAX 1 it bonds anything, I've even used it to fix my wife's favorite paring knife when the blade came out of the plastic handle.
The web site is Max 1 Instant Glue | The Only Glue You'll Ever Need, it is a German made product with many uses.
My problem is I just have to remember I have it and use it, great product.
Hope this helps someone with similar problem or even something else that needs bonding.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:35 AM   #2

I will have to get me some... I just noticed that my LR is doing the exact same thing....

Hope all is well with you and Karen, and both you are having good health ! Looking forward to seeing you 2 again...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #3

Same here Joe, hope you had a great time in Orlando.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:55 AM   #4

Replacement Gaskets

My 2013 36RE needed gaskets replace on some of my slides. I took it to a RV repair and they wanted almost 3k to replace them all. So when I got home I did some research and this is what I found out. The Kitchen and Dinning slideout require AP 018-2030-168 Double EK D Base, 2" x 3-3/16" over the top and down the sides. This is shipped straight so has to be shipped by truck. RV supplies wanted a fortune to ship this, I found it on Amazon and with Prime it is free shipping. It comes in 14' lengths for $172. This seal is shaped like a U with the D seal bracket on both sides so you are replacing the inside and outside wiper at the same time. It spans thru the wall to attach on the inside and outside walls. For the Bedroom slide it took a whole different wiper. I found on Amazon, AP Products 018314BLK Wiper Blade, this is the same part number as AP 018-314-Blk which is a 1/2 Inch Width x 2.75 Inch Height wiper with bracket for the D seal. The wiper blade on this is 1 1/4" wide and on Amazon for $155.18 for 35'. This works for the two sides of the Bedroom Slide. For the top and bottom of the Outside Bedroom slide you will need AP 018-413-BLK also on Amazon for $158.60 for 35'. The inside of the Bedroom slide takes the same wipers and D seal as the outside. Now for the D seal, the same size D seal works on all sides inside and out for all slides and that is AP Products 018-312-EKD Black 1" x 15/16" D-Seal. This comes in 35' at Amazon for $88.79. The sealant you use to put on the outside edge of the D seal is GEOCEL 2300 CLEAR Construction Tripolymer Sealant 10.3 oz. Cartridge. This is one of the few sealants that will stick to the rubber gasket and side of the RV. The best price I found on this was from Conspec Materials Inc in Tampa Fla at $6.99 a tube (www.conspecmaterials.com), you will need almost 1 tube per slide for the outside D gaskets. The hardest part of replacing all these gaskets is removing the old sealant after you have removed the D seal and I found for the Kitchen and Dining slide removing the staples they used to attach the seal to the wall an adventure. When installing the U shaped seal for the Kitchen and Dining I believe it would be easier if you had a helper inside to align the seal. The inside will have the self sticky tape on it so I didn't put in staples to hold it once in place I just pulled the tape cover off and left it at that. If it comes lose I will dig out my air stapler and put some in. It was a lot cheaper replacing these myself and I have done it by myself, a helper would have been real nice. I hope this information helps others that need to replace your gaskets and can't afford to pay the big price tag the RV Repair places want to do it.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:24 AM   #5

That some good cost saving information! I have added to my Amazon Saved Links.. Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 08-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #6

How long did it take you from start to finish to complete all the slides?
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #7

This is an Edit of my post before correcting it. My 2013 36RE needed gaskets replace on some of my slides. I took it to a RV repair and they wanted almost 3k to replace them all. So when I got home I did some research and this is what I found out. The Kitchen and Dinning slideout require AP 018-2030-168 Double EK D Base, 2" x 3-3/16" over the top and down the sides. This is shipped straight so has to be shipped by truck. RV supplies wanted a fortune to ship this, I found it on Amazon and with Prime it is free shipping. It comes in 14' lengths for $172. This seal is shaped like a U with the D seal bracket on both sides so you are replacing the inside and outside wiper at the same time. It spans thru the wall to attach on the inside and outside walls. For the bottom of the Outside Kitchen and Dining slides you will need AP 018-413-BLK on Amazon for $158.60 for 35'. For the Bedroom slide it took a whole different wiper. I found on Amazon, AP Products 018314BLK Wiper Blade, this is the same part number as AP 018-314-Blk which is a 1/2 Inch Width x 2.75 Inch Height wiper with bracket for the D seal. The wiper blade on this is 1 1/4" wide and on Amazon for $155.18 for 35'. This works for the two sides of the Bedroom Slide. For the top of the Outside Bedroom slide you will need AP 018-413-BLK also on Amazon for $158.60 for 35'. The inside of the Bedroom slide takes the same wipers and D seal as the outside. Now for the D seal, the same size D seal works on all sides inside and out for all slides and that is AP Products 018-312-EKD Black 1" x 15/16" D-Seal. This comes in 35' at Amazon for $88.79. The sealant you use to put on the outside edge of the D seal is GEOCEL 2300 CLEAR Construction Tripolymer Sealant 10.3 oz. Cartridge. This is one of the few sealants that will stick to the rubber gasket and side of the RV. The best price I found on this was from Conspec Materials Inc in Tampa Fla at $6.99 a tube (www.conspecmaterials.com), you will need almost 1 tube per slide for the outside D gaskets. The hardest part of replacing all these gaskets is removing the old sealant after you have removed the D seal and I found for the Kitchen and Dining slide removing the staples they used to attach the seal to the wall an adventure. When installing the U shaped seal for the Kitchen and Dining I believe it would be easier if you had a helper inside to align the seal. The inside will have the self sticky tape on it so I didn't put in staples to hold it once in place I just pulled the tape cover off and left it at that. If it comes lose I will dig out my air stapler and put some in. It was a lot cheaper replacing these myself and I have done it by myself, a helper would have been real nice. I hope this information helps others that need to replace your gaskets and can't afford to pay the big price tag the RV Repair places want to do it.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #8

As for time doing the work, I am still working on them. It is so hot here in Arizona I can only work for a couple hours in the morning and evening when it cools down. The first day I did one side of the Kitchen slide that spans thru the wall and put on the D seals for the one side inside and out, did the top and both side D seals and that was about 2 hrs of work. The next day I took off the two sides of the Bedroom slide and D seal for the top. I installed a new D seal on the top and then sealed just the top of the Bedroom slide then sealed all sides outside on the Kitchen slide, that took about 2 hrs. I didn't install the sides on the Bedroom yet because I had ordered the wrong size wiper. In the above post I have the correct sizes. Over all I have put about 4 hrs in to it. When I get the right wiper for the Bedroom sides I will put them on with new D seal and seal them. Then the Dinning slide all I have to replace is the outside D seals and seal them, that will be the easy one. The time eater is the one spanning thru the walls for the Kitchen and Dining slide. The factory installed them with the sticky tape on the outside and stapled the inside. Getting the sticky tape off is a bear and pulling the staples is fun because of the tight space to get into. I found the best way to remove the sealant and sticky tape is to use a razor blade scraper. I found one that was a simple single replaceable blade.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:33 AM   #9

Learned tonight the bottom of the Kitchen and Dining slides is not the part I quoted above, I thought they had the track for the D seal but they don't. They are just a plain wiper held down by a metal track. Also tonight I worked on the Dining slide replacing the D seal on top and both sides. I don't know what happened to the top D seal, it was like it was melted and gooey, I had to use tar remover to clean up the mess. I can't figure out what would have turned the seal to goo, like a chemical was spelt on it, but I know that didn't happen. Anyway it is clean and new D seal in place, next I will seal them.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:46 AM   #10

Geo, do you stand/kneel on the top of your slides to do the replacement? I've never been brave enough to do that yet. Following this closely as that is probably in my future at some point. We also have a slide-in-slide and I assume same part numbers just different lengths.
Iceman1777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:12 AM   #11

I replaced my upper slide out seals a couple of years ago. I did some of the work kneeling on the slide out roof, and experienced no problems.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #12

I knelled and lied down on top of the slide also Iceman, I believe you might be able to just open the slide a little bit and then use a ladder to get up but you would have to shield the ladder from the slide to keep from scratching it up, also move the ladder a lot as you move along the side. I just preferred to climb up and get on the slide and do the work.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #13

Geo,
Would these gaskets work on my 38GK living room/kitchen slide out? If so is the D gasket that looks like a U one piece? And my span is 16 ft. I suppose that means I need two 14 ft gaskets. Can this gasket be cut? Meaning can I detach the front of the U from the back? Thank you. Annie.
Annie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #14

The U shaped gasket is all one piece, when you replace one you pull the inner and outer seal out in one piece. the inner wiper and outer wiper are connected by a thick rubber making up the U shape. I wouldn't cut it because it needs to be installed as one piece. See this other thread we talked about this, I have pictures in it and you will be able to see if they match what you have on yours. http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...seal-5066.html
Old 04-14-2019, 04:13 AM   #15

Thank you for your quick response and info.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:07 AM   #16

Our Livingroom/kitchen slide in our GK needed to be replaced. My son replaced them for us and did a great job. Shortly afterwards we got a thunderstorm, no leaks!
Then today our son in a new max fan to replace the standard fan in the bathroom. Looks and works great. When we return from up north he's going to look at the spare tire winch. Great son, and a very good repairer taking pride in his work! We r lucky. Thanks for the info on the seals. Worked out great for us.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:05 PM   #17

Geo9350, may I please ask a few questions about your seal job...? Would you be so kind....you are the first person online that I have found that sounds like you have ALMOST the same system as me! YEAH!!! I thought I was crazy. Sincerely, guraqt in North Carolina
guraqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:38 PM   #18

guraqt yes ask if you like, I will try to answer the best I can, I am in the Philippines at the moment and don't have the RV right in front of me but in a post in this question I have a link to another question I posted in with information on the numbers and where to buy the gasket along with pictures see https://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...seal-5066.html. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:18 AM   #19

Under my kitchen/TV slide is a long rubber seal that seems to be attached by many screws. Mine is torn at several places. It looks like it is H shaped but I cannot tell for sure as mine is torn so badly. What kind of rubber seal do I order and how hard is it to fix? My redwood is a 2012 36RL.
gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:21 AM   #20

The Kitchen and Dinning slideout require AP 018-2030-168 Double EK D Base, 2" x 3-3/16" over the top and down the sides. This is shipped straight so has to be shipped by truck. RV supplies wanted a fortune to ship this, I found it on Amazon and with Prime it is free shipping. It comes in 14' lengths for $172. This seal is shaped like a U with the D seal bracket on both sides so you are replacing the inside and outside wiper at the same time. It spans thru the wall to attach on the inside and outside walls. The D seal, the same size D seal works on all sides inside and out for all slides and that is AP Products 018-312-EKD Black 1" x 15/16" D-Seal. This comes in 35' at Amazon for $88.79. The sealant you use to put on the outside edge of the D seal is GEOCEL 2300 CLEAR Construction Tripolymer Sealant 10.3 oz. Cartridge. This is one of the few sealants that will stick to the rubber gasket and side of the RV. The best price I found on this was from Conspec Materials Inc in Tampa Fla at $6.99 a tube (www.conspecmaterials.com), you will need almost 1 tube per slide for the outside D gaskets.