Old 03-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #1

Production Quality Control at Factory

After reading about all of these quality control issue(s) on this forum I'm beginning to question my decision on ordering a new Redwood 5er, which is touted as being an upscale residential quality travel trailer. After viewing a utube video of other 5th Wheel travel trailers in production, I was amazed on the "world record speed" these things are "slapped together" on the production line(s) & if this method of production is an industry standard, it's no wonder that there are so many issues reported. Am I being too unreasonable and or has anyone taken the Redwood factory tour to see how our units are produced ?
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #2
Site Team

We have taken tours of the Redwood factory as well as the Montana factory. The production methods are are very simialiar. I would expect other factory production methods would also be similiar. The RV industry as a whole is not known for the best quality control. Some are better then others. I think the difference is how much emphasis a company places on quality control. I believe Redwood does do an above average job of quality control and does make a quality coach. Having said that, there is room for improvement. Some coaches get out of the factory with defects but the majority are well built.

Of the several thousand people who have bought Redwoods, most are not on the forum. When people do have problems they look for help and a place to vent. So what you see on the forum is not typical of Redwood ownership. When you go to pick up your new coach do a thorough PDI with the dealer. I hope you have a great experience with your new Redwood. We really enjoy ours and have had just a few minor problems. Currently just wrapping up a two month trip as snowbirds trying to avoid the cold.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt View Post
We have taken tours of the Redwood factory as well as the Montana factory. The production methods are are very simialiar. I would expect other factory production methods would also be similiar. The RV industry as a whole is not known for the best quality control. Some are better then others. I think the difference is how much emphasis a company places on quality control. I believe Redwood does do an above average job of quality control and does make a quality coach. Having said that, there is room for improvement. Some coaches get out of the factory with defects but the majority are well built.

Of the several thousand people who have bought Redwoods, most are not on the forum. When people do have problems they look for help and a place to vent. So what you see on the forum is not typical of Redwood ownership. When you go to pick up your new coach do a thorough PDI with the dealer. I hope you have a great experience with your new Redwood. We really enjoy ours and have had just a few minor problems. Currently just wrapping up a two month trip as snowbirds trying to avoid the cold.

Thanks much for the info., makes sense.
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #4

We have also toured the Redwood production facility. It is eye opening to say the least. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and was able to answer everyone's questions. One of the things that we found out during the tour was that Redwood's policy was after so many (I think 4 or 5)units were built each day the employees could go home for the day. Personally, I think a policy of that nature causes quality control issues because the employees are thinking,"the sooner I get these done,the earlier I get to go home"! This was mid 2014, not sure if that policy has changed. All in all though, the employees seem to be dedicated. If you ever get a chance to tour the facility you should, it will allow you to learn a great deal about how these are constructed.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
We have also toured the Redwood production facility. It is eye opening to say the least. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and was able to answer everyone's questions. One of the things that we found out during the tour was that Redwood's policy was after so many (I think 4 or 5)units were built each day the employees could go home for the day. Personally, I think a policy of that nature causes quality control issues because the employees are thinking,"the sooner I get these done,the earlier I get to go home"! This was mid 2014, not sure if that policy has changed. All in all though, the employees seem to be dedicated. If you ever get a chance to tour the facility you should, it will allow you to learn a great deal about how these are constructed.
EXACTLY ! ....... this would explain why they (workers) seem to be literally running to & fro , rushing their work. How the heck can someone do quality precise work this way on such expensive coaches? Just saying.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #6

Redwood is built to be an affordable answer to the fiver market. Take other brands, much more in cost, but is quality control any better?
I have owned six rv units and 4 manufacturered homes since 1981, same type issues with all. What matters is does the manufacturer take care of the problems in a reasonable manner.

Just heed.the warnings posted on this forum, not as complaints but as advise. I have refitted my fiver with advise from here a few times, and have learned a lot of what I thought I already knew!
Six year old aussie shepard (Remy)
Semi retired, looking for somewhere to go
Hard to stay home with this much stuff
redwoodin with remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #7

We have also had many different RV from low end unit we started with to our Last MH which was higher end and all had many issues. Its not one brand its industry wide. We have learned to expect issues and watch very carefully for the problems and to catch them before they become a larger issue.

2015 RL38
2008 Ford F450
RWJSIM2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #8

I agree with Blenhardt! This forum is a place to find help with issues and has not been used by those without problems to praise the Redwood. I would not pre-judge the unit you ordered by what is said here, however if you read these posts it will help you become aware of any issues that could pop up and how to deal with them.

After three years of ownership we are sure we made the right buying decision!
Old 03-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #9

We are also very happy with our unit. There were issues but they were all fixed or noted as something to keep an eye on in our file passed on to Redwood by the dealer.

2 things are very important...
1. A very thorough PDI... don't let the dealer rush you! Lots of stuff on this forum about what to look for... fit and finish... 2 batteries... ALL systems work.
2. A good dealer where you buy and hopefully plan to have service done... after care by knowledgable staff is paramount.

Best of luck and many happy days with your new unit.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #10

I agree with the many posting here. All the other manufacturers probably operate the same and have the same issues. What I would like to commend Redwood for is there support after the fact. Redwood has always stepped up to the plate when it comes to warranty service. That probably means more to the purchaser than if the little issues get corrected before delivery. YOU CAN!....I REPEAT.....YOU CAN DEPEND ON REDWOOD TO DO THEIR BEST TO SATISFY THE PURCHASER!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote