Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Dro67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 130
Help with winterizing!!

My husband is recovering from knee replacement surgery done last week and we've got cold weather coming to Texas. We have a friend who will do what we need but is it really necessary if the temps are just at or slightly below freezing at night and 40s in the daytime?? If we just drain the tanks and open all the faucets would that be ok? Friend has a Montana Big Sky and says he has a switch that drains the lines.... do the RWs have that??
Appreciate your help!!!

Toni
__________________
Eddie & Toni
2 Bichons - Allie & Katie
2014 38RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax
Dro67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro67 View Post
My husband is recovering from knee replacement surgery done last week and we've got cold weather coming to Texas. We have a friend who will do what we need but is it really necessary if the temps are just at or slightly below freezing at night and 40s in the daytime?? If we just drain the tanks and open all the faucets would that be ok? Friend has a Montana Big Sky and says he has a switch that drains the lines.... do the RWs have that??
Appreciate your help!!!

Toni

Toni,

If you want to you can just turn on your furnace and don't worry about it for a few days. If you're hooked up to electric, just turn on your fireplace.

If you have any questions at all "Private message" me and I'll give you my cell phone number. I'll walk you through preparing the Redwood for the cold snap. Really....it's easy and I'll be happy to help you.
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
0nTheRoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,092
Eddie & Tony,

First of all, I pray Eddie will have a quick recovery!!

With temp dipping at or below freezing a night you may be ok not draining tanks or disconnecting water, especially if the temps get up into the upper 30's or 40's during they. When we are faced with dipping temps below freezing I just let the water drip in the kitchen while temps are at or below freezing. If I know temps will get down into the mid to lower 20's, or teens I'll disconnect the water and stow the water line in the basement and disconnect/stow the sewer line. Assuming you'll be in the coach you'll be using the furnace so the warm air will help keep the internal water lines from freezing. If you won't be in the coach, leave the furnace on anyway but perhaps at a lower temp to avoid freezing.
__________________
SOB
0nTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Dro67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 130
Thank you guys for the quick replies! This forum is wonderful. We are not full timers. Our RW is in covered storage. Eddie says he drained the tanks and opened all the faucets but not any antifreeze because we are hoping to use the camper again after Christmas if he's up to it. So it should be ok without the antifreeze???
__________________
Eddie & Toni
2 Bichons - Allie & Katie
2014 38RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax
Dro67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #5
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro67 View Post
Thank you guys for the quick replies! This forum is wonderful. We are not full timers. Our RW is in covered storage. Eddie says he drained the tanks and opened all the faucets but not any antifreeze because we are hoping to use the camper again after Christmas if he's up to it. So it should be ok without the antifreeze???
There's enough water in the hot water heater that you shouldn't have a problem for a little cold snap.

You could reach under the trailer and find a blue and red water line with a shut off on each one. Those are the "Low Point" drains. With all the faucets open and those open, the entire system will drain out with exception to the ice maker (if you have one) and the hot water heater.
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro67 View Post
Friend has a Montana Big Sky and says he has a switch that drains the lines.... do the RWs have that??
Appreciate your help!!!

Toni
I am very jealous!
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:34 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Dro67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
There's enough water in the hot water heater that you shouldn't have a problem for a little cold snap.

You could reach under the trailer and find a blue and red water line with a shut off on each one. Those are the "Low Point" drains. With all the faucets open and those open, the entire system will drain out with exception to the ice maker (if you have one) and the hot water heater.
I'll do that in the morning! Thanks Dave!
Toni
__________________
Eddie & Toni
2 Bichons - Allie & Katie
2014 38RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax
Dro67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
Site Team
 
piper guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,767
One other biggie would be the Washer if you have one.
__________________
Vaughan & Tracy 2013 RW 36RL, 2013 F350 DRW CC, 2016 Focus. MorRyde IS, MorRyde pinbox, disc brakes, Comfort Ride Hitch. "Life is to be embraced, Grab it with both arms ! "
piper guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 119
I have to say...again that this forum and the members in it are an outstanding group that, I believe, want to assist other folks. Thank you.

I know I'm old and blind and was cold as ice, but I'll be darned if I can find my low point drains under my RW. I was dual tasking last night between still troubleshooting my battery charging issue and trying to located these low point drains.
Life is grand! :-)
__________________

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn
2014 RW 38RE
USN Retired
RAMN8TER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
0nTheRoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,092
Typically the low point drains are locate directly below the convenience center on the RE/RL/FB models. Look under the coach on the outside of the frame, you should see both a blue & red PEX line with valves on them. There is generally a third hose, whits, which is the fresh water tank overflow.
__________________
SOB
0nTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.