Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

Cable tv Reception

I get a signal to the bedroom but not to the living room TV.
2013 RL. A splitter issue? Where is it? Also have a roof dish system but no not use.
Trouble shooting suggestions appreciated.
Nitzer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:06 PM   #2

Here is the way mine is wired. You will find that every one has a different story here so the best thing to do is get a cable tracer at Home Depot.

In the convenience center I have 3 connections. 1 for cable 1 for satellite that goes to the living room. 1 for satellite going to the bedroom. The cable runs through a splitter in the bedroom above the TV. The broadcast TV also goes through that splitter and they run both living room and bedroom. THE POWER TO THE ANTENNA NEEDS TO BE OFF for the cable to work. The power antenna is used when no cable is attached and I want over the air broadcast.

Either way you need to go to the Menu on the TV, Select the Input desired, then do an automatic channel search for the channels to show up.

Mine took the better part of an entire day running down and then labeling the cables and making sure they were attached as desired. That said I also had to fight the two satellite receivers. Hope that helps.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #3

I have a somewhat similar issue. Bedroom works fine, but the living room gets an intermittent signal. I went looking for the splitter and figured it must be behind the bay. So I emptied my basement and removed the curved wall that encloses the back of the bay and...nope. The TV cable runs into a mass of cables that runs to the power center/fuse/breaker box inside the front door. I figured the splitter might be behind there. But now I'm going to go look above the bedroom TV first.....

2019 3901WB
glenwolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #4

I have same problem. However do not know how to fix either. 2017 38RL. Was told splitter is in ceiling at one of light fixtures. Probably loose connection. My RV is in storage till November. Let us know if that helps.
Trailer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitzer44 View Post
2013 RL. A splitter issue? Where is it? Also have a roof dish system but no not use.

Is this something new?
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:18 PM   #6

I had the same problem with intermittent reception with cable. Had a cable company change out all connectors and that took care of my issues. Most connectors were loose or grounding out. That was on a 2019 34RL.
Res1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res1952 View Post
I had the same problem with intermittent reception with cable. Had a cable company change out all connectors and that took care of my issues. Most connectors were loose or grounding out. That was on a 2019 34RL.
I found one loose one and that seemed to improve things a bit. Well not really improve just change the way it happens. My plan is to do as you did, but I'd like to locate that splitter before I call him out.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:53 AM   #8

2013 36rl

I have had similar issues. I found three things: 1.) splitter in the area above bedroom tv that can be an issue and we replaced it. 2.) the tv outlet in the basement, on the front door side and 3.) we had a bad connector behind the curb side wheels on the outside (sort of below where the living room tv is located. The later had received heavy wear and tear from the debris coming from the wheels). The connection literally broke apart when we inspected it. We cleanly cut both wires and replaced with waterproof connector. That solved our issue. Hope this helps someone. It was painstaking to trace and locate the problem.
jethompson724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #9

The splitter you are looking for is behind the pot lite in the bedroom near the tv. I have had a lot of similiar issues with my 2013 36RL.
NUMBERSPLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
I have a somewhat similar issue. Bedroom works fine, but the living room gets an intermittent signal. I went looking for the splitter and figured it must be behind the bay. So I emptied my basement and removed the curved wall that encloses the back of the bay and...nope. The TV cable runs into a mass of cables that runs to the power center/fuse/breaker box inside the front door. I figured the splitter might be behind there. But now I'm going to go look above the bedroom TV first.....

2019 3901WB
Not sure how close they are on the newer RV's, but in our 2015 39MB. The splitters are above the second living room ceiling light from the rear on the door side.

Rick
Old 08-19-2019, 10:08 PM   #11

Just a quick thought if you have your power turned on at the antenna it will cause the cable TV to not work correctly. Make sure the power is turned off the green light should be off
Old 08-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitzer44 View Post
I have a 2015 38RL with 3 tv's I ran a new line to each tv so I have a dedicated line from my Dish to each tv. I traised out all of the existing lines used some of the existing lines and all work well now. most of the wires connect in the bedroom cabinet ceiling. It was not a hard job.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #13

I also have a 2013 RL and have had many issues with the wiring. Initially I obtained the wiring diagrams and GTXRAS is correct in that there is a splitter in the living room at the back behind the lite which connects to the satellite.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #14

I can't find anything above the bedroom TV. There really isn't a place for it that I can find but I didn't (and I'm not going too) pull ceiling panels. I'm going to start pulling light fixtures. Given the position of the TVs it should be close to the front door. Maybe in the bedroom, maybe in the living room.

Wherefore art thou splitter?
Old 08-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #15

you need to take down the pot lite fixture to the right of the tv in bedroom. You can then feel around for cables and splitters.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:19 PM   #16

Remove the light fixture above to the right of the bedroom TV & fish around in the attic, I found a splitter, gray wires, for the cable that was wired incorrectly with loose fittings, also a splitter for the satellite, orange wires, system & a white cable from the antenna to the booster.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:45 PM   #17

Angry poor TV signal

I took our 3881 ES apart and found a splitter near the exhaust fan in bathroom and one underneath behind the carpeted panels amongst the mess of wires. Every connection was loose! we have upgraded to a King Air antennae to improve signal. we will see how it goes. Just another issue with Redwood and poor quality control at factory and dealer.
mpleitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:39 AM   #18

Don’t forget about the mess of cable and splitters that you will find below the floor and behind the fresh water tank located between the axels. You have to drop the Coroplast on the bottom of the trailer to access them. Remember that if you fight with the coroplast to get access, it’s not going to fit the way it came from the factory because they put it in from the top down and you have to remove and install it from the bottom up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA2678D4-4C98-42F9-A1CF-9142A0FC998A.jpg (170.6 KB, 8 views)
Pez de Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:38 PM   #19

I have a 2020 4001 LT. I can not find the turn off switch for the antenna booster. Not in the service bay, not by any TV. Anybody know?
kart racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:02 PM   #20

Do you have the KeyTV system in your coach? Not sure when they started using that system in the Redwoods.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote