Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #1

Cable to TV

I have a 2016 Redwood. When I picked it up at the dealer, they have all three TV sets working and on. When I drove it home and set the 5th wheel up, I connected my satellite to the exterior RV hookup. Only the living room TV will work. The bedroom and exterior TVs will not show the signal. Is there a switcher between satellite and cable tv connections?

Why can I not get the bedroom and exterior TVs with my satellite?
rhand48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #2

Here is how mine wound up being cabled. I have a 2017 built in February 16. Keep in mind I do not have the outside TV. It could just be mirroring (cabled to) one of the others inside.

If you are talking about a roof mounted satellite, mine feeds all of the Tv's with a dual receiver on the antenna feeding a separate receiver at each TV. The connection in the outside convenience center has two separate connectors. One for the living room and one for the bedroom. I think that is really for a portable type dish like a tailgater that only has one feed.

If you look on the back side of the cable connection behind the convience center access door, the cables should be different colors and hopefully that will help you at the TV end. Most of what I have read said that it is really a crap shoot and each trailer could be different.

I also assume that you are using the channel search mode on your TV with the correct input selected. Also make sure your power antenna is turned off as it will block satellite/cable when turned on. My switch has a little red indicator light next to a cigarette lighter outlet near the bedroom TV.

Let us know how it works out. After several hours tracking all of mine down, I labeled them at both ends.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #3

Thanks for your information. I have a remote satellite setup. I am going to do some checking this week to trace the cabling.
rhand48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhand48 View Post
Thanks for your information. I have a remote satellite setup. I am going to do some checking this week to trace the cabling.
In my case, the way the trailer is cabled now, a remote satellite would only power one TV. Hopefully others will chime in with what they have found.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:16 AM   #5

Our '16 MB has two external ports for Satellite, one to a receiver in the Living Room and the other port to a receiver in the Bed Room, with nothing to the outside TV.
Now with our Slimline Dish on the roof I have a single coax to the Bed Room attached to a DirecTV Splitter, then three coaxes going to my three receivers.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #6

is the convience center where the satellite hook ups are outside? i just bought an awesome 2013 Redwood in mint condition. 36RL. what an upgrade to a montana. Just got it this October, used it once. cable tv at campsite works fine but dealer could not tell me what the 2 orange cables are in the cabinet above tv are. i would imagine one is satellite hook up
tcf60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcf60 View Post
is the convience center where the satellite hook ups are outside? i just bought an awesome 2013 Redwood in mint condition. 36RL. what an upgrade to a montana. Just got it this October, used it once. cable tv at campsite works fine but dealer could not tell me what the 2 orange cables are in the cabinet above tv are. i would imagine one is satellite hook up
Hey - I had the same feeling when we bought our 2014 Redwood 36RL and handed the keys to our 2007 Montana 3400RL to the new owners! Here are the two in a campground waiting for the Montana buyers to arrive.

You are correct, the orange cables are for satellite. At the living room TV you should have one from the roof (1 stripe black tape), one from the convenience center (2 stripes black tape), and a third that goes between TVs. The satellite feeds should be direct. The cable TV feeds go through the antenna system and have some splitters. Attached is the wiring diagram, but they have been known to not always be consistent. PS - the Library tab up top will lead you to a few drawings for that 36RL as well as some other goodies.

Congratulations on that coach!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04-13-2013 Mills Creek Camp-018.jpg (359.7 KB, 19 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite.pdf (10.5 KB, 43 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #8

Coax cables not connected

We just purchased a new 2017 Redwood 36 RL. All of our 3 TV's work off the antennae, but not one worked on the cable connection. After some investigation, I discovered that there was only one coax cable connected to the backside of the three ports on the "off-doorside" location in the basement and that was the orange coax connected to one of the satelite inputs. Not only is nothing else connected, I can't even find the other coax cables, they're simply missing. Subsequently, I then connected the end of the orange coax to the cable port and then connected the orange coax cable in the living room entertainment center to the TV. I now have cable signal to that TV. The other 2 TV's still have only antennae signal. It's a total screw-up and I can thank some dude working that day at the Redwood assembly plant for this failure. Where was their head? Of course, it's under warranty, but quality control in final assembly is the problem here and someone should have caught this and sent a message to this dude to get it right. We have had other issues, including a water leak in the bedroom slide, but all this will involves a sacrifice on our part, that will include time and moving our unit to a dealership for warranty work. All that said, we do like the Redwood in so many other ways, that once these things get remedied, we should be set. Here's hoping!
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:46 PM   #9

Woodman1, I believe that you still need to push the button to 'off' on your antenna/tv booster to be able to use cable. It is 'on' when the little green light is on. Also make sure that once you have the booster off that you check to make sure your tv is set to cable and not over the air and to rescan for channels. Should work. Antenna boosters are usually near the bedroom tv somewhere, either beside the tv or close to it in a cabinet.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #10

Coax cables not connected and missing

Regarding the booster switch in the bedroom: I've worked with the booster switch in the bedroom; that is not the problem nor does it make any difference whether it's on or off. The problem is that we are literally missing cables. On the "off doorside" basement access, where you connect the water, cable, etc., there are three (3) coax cable ports. Of these 3, there are 2 at the top that are paired for satelite and 1 that is lower that is for cable. These are all male coax port terminals that require a cable from the backside (behind the panel where the furnace, water pump, etc. are located) to distribute the signal throughout the 5th to other terminals. My point is, there is only one orange coax cable that is attached which is intended for satelite. We are literally without 2 other cables, and they are nowhere to be found, it's not just a matter of disconnections or booster switches. It will require a tech to figure out how to get two more cables to this station and then feed those coax cables to the right spots. IMO, they'll need to pull of the underbelly to get access and who knows?, maybe they'll discover them bundled up, loose or just lying somewhere. Unless I'm missing something, the logic of an empty port finding a signal path without a cable, would be difficult to comprehend.
Fusion backup monitor
Old 12-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #11

Woodman1, I understand now that there is physically missing coax cables. Crazy to say the least, As these coaches do under go system tests, etc even if their PDI building isn't up and running yet. I doubt that they would be near the underbelly, but rather somewhere behind the intended location. Perhaps not stripped or a coax end not crimped and screwed on, but it should be close by behind in the basement. Removal of the basement wall to get back there is relatively simple, just a few screws holding the wall in place. might be behind the water heater or furnace, but they should be there somewhere. I agree that RW screwed it up by not having it as intended, but it might not be that hard to figure where the coax is either. But it should be a warranty issue and be covered by RW. Sorry you are having troubles.

Chris
Old 12-26-2016, 03:20 PM   #12

I know it doesn't help you, but the satellite/cable runs have been a problem since the first RW rolled off the line, as Piperguy/Vaughn says "what do the Amish know about television or electricity".
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #13

Pulled off the panels in the basement to get access to the underside. Found the coax cables on the opposite side of the coach. They're cut off and bare, with no connecting ports, but they're also about 10 ft. too short. Should be relatively easy fix with new connectors and extra cables. Question is, how did anyone at Redwood miss this?
Fusion backup monitor
Old 12-31-2016, 03:08 PM   #14

Woodman1, Glad you found your mystery cables. Probably more frustrating than anything. Shouldn't be too difficult to strip and install coax ends and couplers and run them to your desired coax plates. Not sure of the year of your RW, would any of this be covered by your warranty??

Chris
Old 12-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #15

Yes it would be covered under warranty. But, there's a waiting period to have warranty work done and since it's not that hard to correct and not a big ticket item, will probably fix myself and start enjoying cable throughout the coach. Thanks
Fusion backup monitor
Old 12-31-2016, 04:47 PM   #16

Thank goodness you found them! It sucks on one hand you have to do that, but good on the other hand that they were there.

Use the satellite grade connectors.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:39 AM   #17

Fortunately, finding the cables was a huge find, even though they were short and lacked connectors. Despite knowing the cable issue would be covered under warranty, I decided not to wait and go through all the hassle and inconvenience of taking our 5th to a dealership. I bought a crimper, a couple of connectors, cable, and cutter for about $35, fixed everything myself in about 60 minutes, I'm slow. I'll send RW a list of problems, pics, and copy of my parts receipts and see if I get any reimbursement. We'll see! Bottom line, all three TV's now work off of cable or antennae.
Fusion backup monitor
Old 01-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #18

Can't speak for new management, as its not the same Redwood company that we dealt with back when, but they always covered my costs on issues we had done locally by sending them a receipt, providing we had discussed it with them.