Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #1

Black water sewer valve replacement?

My black water valve I'm thinking needs replacing? The cable to open and close it has a lot of play in it and before it was incredibly hard to open. Luckily, I am pretty sure that it is open at this time. I'm thinking that I am going to have to remove the under covering to access the actual valve location? Also what is the exact replacement and I am thinking that I will replace all three while I am at it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 2013 36RE
Old 12-31-2016, 01:14 AM   #2

You only replace the gate/blade portion by removing 4 bolts not the entire valve. Once you lower the underbelly you may find the cable runs at weird angles to the valves & might be able to reroute them to work easier. They typically use cables that are much too long so they twist & curve to get to the valve.
Have you tried using a big squirt of dish soap in the black tank & about a 1/4 cup of cooking oil in the grey's? I do this periodically & all valves work fairly easy & don't leak, it's easier than removing the underbelly.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:04 AM   #3

if you are leaving your black valve open due to it being broken. Be sure to use the flush a lot or you will wind up having a pyramid in the tank. Also they sell a kit with the cable , valve and handle. so all you need to do is pop out the 4 scews and insert the new one. Don't make the mistake like most of us have NO WD40. It will hurt the seals.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Keep in mind that they use a standard cable and as was already said, it weaves all over the place and zip tied. If just one of those zip ties come loose, you'll experience slack in the cable. The underbelly is easy to take down with a screw gun or cordless drill. If I remember correctly it will take a 3/8 socket.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #5

Do you happen to know the replacement? I have been having difficulty finding out the direct one?