Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 05:53 AM   #1

Batteries are Dead

Well this sucks, I went out to check on the RW in storage and the batteries are all dead. I plugged in the truck and the power would still not come on. Guess there are all dead so now I am stuck in storage and unable to get the trailer on to the truck. I don't want to remove all 4 batteries if at all possible and dont have access to a generator. I was thinking of running jumper cables to the battery and seeing if it would be enough to move the jacks so I can get it on the truck. Any ideas ? I may have to go rent a generator. Just want to get the Trailer hooked up and to the campground to see if batteries will charge back up. If not will have to get 4 new batteries since I let them go completely dead.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:17 AM   #2

Just a guess, If you have a residential fridge, kill the fridge and inverter if possible. Disconnect all the batteries except 1.

Try charging the one battery. Or just purchase 1 cheap battery to get going.

When my batteries failed I was able to get the trailer on and off by plugging in 110VAC. If you do this, the inverter must be on but keep the refrigerator was off.

Also, make sure all the connections are tight in by the batteries. I had many loose connections.

Good Luck
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #3

Just a thought, are you sure the battery switch is not turned off? Do you have a tester to check the batteries to be certain that they are dead? Some Redwoods are still being wired in such a way that the battery disconnect doesn't actually cut power to the jacks. I had the factory service center rewire mine so everything is cut off when the switch is off.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #4

We were at a campground that had lost power and our batteries were dead. We used jumper cables from the truck directly to the batteries...we were then able to put the slides in and retract the jacks.

Bob
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #5

Looks like the jacks or the slides are not affected by the battery disconnect switch. They will still work even with the switch in the off position. No wander they are dead. Good news is they seem to be taking a charge now that I have them hooked up to power. I used one of the power jumpers sets for a car and it was enough to get the jacks up and hooked to the truck this morning. So all is good now.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:28 PM   #6

Just remember in the future you have two choices: Rewire the Battery Cutout Switch to disconnect everything, or pull a battery cable.
With these new units there are just two many little things drawing current to kill a battery in a few weeks sitting without power.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #7

What M&A said...
I could guarantee my batteries were dead no matter what I turned off....

Redwood doesn't believe a battery cutoff should cut off the batteries
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:59 PM   #8

When we bought the RW we were using it fulltime so never had a issue. But in Jan bought a house since work situation changed and now it is in storage. I will pick up one of the automotive disconnect switches that connect right on the battery that way I can shut them off completely when not using. Luckily it looks like they are not toast will have to see how it goes.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Just remember in the future you have two choices: Rewire the Battery Cutout Switch to disconnect everything, or pull a battery cable.
With these new units there are just two many little things drawing current to kill a battery in a few weeks sitting without power.
Third Choice, wire in another cut off switch.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Another great option if you store your trailer where you have access to power is to attach a battery tender.it will charge the batteries to max and then shutoff automatically. I use one on my bike. before I got it I was replacing batteries every 6 mths. With it I get a couple years out of a battery
Old 06-07-2016, 11:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Another great option if you store your trailer where you have access to power is to attach a battery tender.it will charge the batteries to max and then shutoff automatically. I use one on my bike. before I got it I was replacing batteries every 6 mths. With it I get a couple years out of a battery
Shane, I have been told that these new converters/inverters have the same technology and will not overcharge or boil the batteries. So far, and I have only had my trailer since late March, I have not had to add water to the batteries. I have just been plugged into normal 50A service most of the time.

I have the digital surge protector hooked to it and it only shows 1A draw on 1 leg most of the time. I also installed 2000W pure sine wave inverter that has a charger in it (probably should have chosen the non-charger one). It is now my primary converter/charger and the factory one is really no longer in the system. The paperwork that came with this inverter says it is automatic and will not overcharge. The dealer told me the newer factory ones also will not overcharge.

I also tried to see how quick I get a drain if I leave it unplugged with the battery switch off. The jury is still out on that one but I am sure there is still a drain, I just am not able to get a handle on how fast the batteries are discharged.

I have two Golf Cart batteries in mine.

BTW I have 7 battery tenders for all of my toys but could probably use a few more.

Larry
Old 06-08-2016, 01:27 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
If I was storing the trailer over the winter l would disconnect the batteries an put a battery tender on them there are a lot of phantom loads in the trailer LPGA alarms clocks basically any of the led devices
Old 06-08-2016, 03:47 AM   #13

I am thinking of putting in a slide out tray in the Battery compartment. This way I could take out the battery box with the 4 batteries and keep them charged at home. the storage I have does not have access to elec so I can keep them charged. Or I could look for a better location for storage.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
Well this sucks, I went out to check on the RW in storage and the batteries are all dead. I plugged in the truck and the power would still not come on. Guess there are all dead so now I am stuck in storage and unable to get the trailer on to the truck. I don't want to remove all 4 batteries if at all possible and dont have access to a generator. I was thinking of running jumper cables to the battery and seeing if it would be enough to move the jacks so I can get it on the truck. Any ideas ? I may have to go rent a generator. Just want to get the Trailer hooked up and to the campground to see if batteries will charge back up. If not will have to get 4 new batteries since I let them go completely dead.
That has happened to me. I used my truck's jumper cables to charge the RV batteries. It took one good hot coffee and the jacks worked. As others recommended check that battery disconnect and battery connections.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #15

I had the same problem with my 2015 38RL. Rewired the cutoff and that solved the problem, but i sure had to jump the coach's batteries from my truck a lot until the rewire.
I got 2 new batteries from RW to replace the ones that had discharged to zero so often they were shot.
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #16

I will be working on the battery and compartment next week I am putting in a slide for the battery box. It will have quick disconnects so I can remove the box with all 4 batteries and take them home and keep on charger during off season. I am also putting a second shut off switch on the outside of the box I should them not have this issue going forward.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #17

You must be a MAN if you are going to carry four batteries on a tray

but glad to hear they are putting more than the 2 wimpy batteries that were in my front compartment and one for the res fridge !
the coach has 2 large starting batteries and 4 TWO foot tall coach batteries !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
You must be a MAN if you are going to carry four batteries on a tray

but glad to hear they are putting more than the 2 wimpy batteries that were in my front compartment and one for the res fridge !
the coach has 2 large starting batteries and 4 TWO foot tall coach batteries !

I will have to have help to move them into the truck but only plan to do this in the winter when trailer is not being used . We will see how heavy it is and if my plan will work.