Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-29-2018, 01:03 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 30
Basement Wall Modifications

Does anyone have pictures and/or tips on how to create more access through the basement wall to the utilities? The little 10" door doesn't allow for a visual inspection let alone getting two hands on something.

Was thinking about hinging the utility side wall to the other and cutting the wall vertically closer to the wet well, to hinge it around the ceiling light in the basement. It fits really snug though. Did see in past posts that there was talk about adding 24" x 24" door. How did it work out?
ShawnAZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
travelin' texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,918
I removed the screws in 2 of the 3 panels, left the panel with the Dirt Devil screwed in, & stapled industrial strength Velcro to the edges, I can have it completely opened up in about 30 seconds, that's after I've moved all the crap from in front of them.
I also moved the water filter closer to the opening & mounted it more securely, I can now reach it easily,. I drop a towel below the filter, place a gallon zip lock bag or plastic grocery sack over the filter, remove the filter & I rarely spell anything behind the wall
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 30
Velcro is an idea, thank you. My big panel will hit the ceiling light only allowing me to open panel a few inches though. I may have to move ceiling light or cut panel in two.
ShawnAZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
XCMARK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 240
The previous owner of our RL38 removed the 10x10 redwood access panel and cut out a 15" x 24" and installed a large access panel with hinges to gain access to the filter and pump. its large enough that I can get my head in and swap out the pump with out removing the wall.
__________________
Mark & Melissa
2015 Redwood RL38 , Kodiak disk brakes , 17.5" tires , 8K Morryde IS
XCMARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:17 PM   #5
Site Team
 
hoosierguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnAZ10 View Post
Velcro is an idea, thank you. My big panel will hit the ceiling light only allowing me to open panel a few inches though. I may have to move ceiling light or cut panel in two.

If you pull out the bottom of the panel first, you can rotate the panel out. Should be fairly easy to do.
__________________
Guy & Phyllis
2012 RW36RL,DualA/C,KodiakDiskBrakes,TrailAir Tri-Glide,GY_G614's,Mor/RydeSRE4000,HDShackles/WetBolts
2011Dodge3500Laramie,CrewCab,4x4,SRW,Michelins, LongBed,6.7LCTD,3.73,PullRiteSuper5th20.5KHitch, BlueOxBedsaver

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
If you pull out the bottom of the panel first, you can rotate the panel out. Should be fairly easy to do.
The wall rotates out fine, but the entire basement has to be cleared out. Just trying to make it easier so when I'm on the road I don't have to tear everything out at an RV park to check plumbing or change out filter.
ShawnAZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCMARK View Post
The previous owner of our RL38 removed the 10x10 redwood access panel and cut out a 15" x 24" and installed a large access panel with hinges to gain access to the filter and pump. its large enough that I can get my head in and swap out the pump with out removing the wall.
What did they use to bind the carpeted material on the wall after cutting the larger opening? Do you have pictures?
ShawnAZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
travelin' texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,918
I only change the filter about every 6 months & if on a rare occasion the pump is needed I have to open the suction valve but can reach both through the original opening.
As to removing everything to remove a wall panel, pull out the bottom to about 45 degrees, it easily clears the light & fits through the door. I do that about twice a year to clean up under there, check things out back there & get rid of some of the crap that I've accumulated, so not a big deal.
On my FB that's where the Christmas stuff is stored, behind the center section under the stairs, perfect fit.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:38 PM   #9
Site Team
 
hoosierguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnAZ10 View Post
The wall rotates out fine, but the entire basement has to be cleared out. Just trying to make it easier so when I'm on the road I don't have to tear everything out at an RV park to check plumbing or change out filter.
I plumbed out canister filter the 2cd year of ownership. That was a non-starter for me. I use an inline filter and RV water softener external to the trailer.

All the "stuff" that I carry in storage is in see through storage boxes which makes it easy to clear the storage area if I need to work on anything.
__________________
Guy & Phyllis
2012 RW36RL,DualA/C,KodiakDiskBrakes,TrailAir Tri-Glide,GY_G614's,Mor/RydeSRE4000,HDShackles/WetBolts
2011Dodge3500Laramie,CrewCab,4x4,SRW,Michelins, LongBed,6.7LCTD,3.73,PullRiteSuper5th20.5KHitch, BlueOxBedsaver

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:28 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 69
I hope this isn't against the rules here, but over on the other Redwood forum, someone replaced their whole wall with wood, and had a generous size door where the water filter is. It shows it in the "owner modifications".
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Jeff&Karen39MB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 305
After changing the water filter the first time and using several versions of the Japanese language trying to fit through ridiculous opening provided by Redwood, I removed the wall and cut out and made a larger door, covered with a new piece of Automotive carpet, problem solved door measures 24 by 24 with two slide latches, now I have all the room needed to access anything behind wall.
Really simple to do and all it took was a piece of 1\2 plywood, 20 inch piano hinge, piece of Automotive carpet, (2) slide latches, (1) was already provided by Redwood to close the original opening that was a useless as you know what on a bull hog, staple gun with staples and can of 3M spray glue (optional) I liked that it secured carpet to wood and I was able to fold and staple ends on back of door.

Don't forget to save the little piece of wood they use as a door stop, you can reuse that on your new opening.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:13 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
ET156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 132
If you look in modifications you'll see how I did mine. I have full access to the water filter and the heater area. I put the wall sections on hinges.
__________________
Ed & Annie full timers
2016 39MB
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 split tranny, auto ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:15 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat View Post
I hope this isn't against the rules here, but over on the other Redwood forum, someone replaced their whole wall with wood, and had a generous size door where the water filter is. It shows it in the "owner modifications".
Was it on redwoodrvowners .com? I went through the three pages of Owner Modifications and didn't see anything related, but I may have missed it.
ShawnAZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 69
Here ya' go:

https://www.redwoodrvowners .com/inde...=30&Itemid=277
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:08 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 69
Looks like the link doesn't work. On that site, click on "owner modifications" on the left side, then "general exterior", it's the third one down.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:21 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat View Post
Looks like the link doesn't work. On that site, click on "owner modifications" on the left side, then "general exterior", it's the third one down.
Goat, he did an incredible job! Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing.
ShawnAZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET156 View Post
If you look in modifications you'll see how I did mine. I have full access to the water filter and the heater area. I put the wall sections on hinges.
ET156, lol, you did the fine work on the other site! Incredibly beautiful work.
ShawnAZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
After changing the water filter the first time and using several versions of the Japanese language trying to fit through ridiculous opening provided by Redwood, I removed the wall and cut out and made a larger door, covered with a new piece of Automotive carpet, problem solved door measures 24 by 24 with two slide latches, now I have all the room needed to access anything behind wall.
Really simple to do and all it took was a piece of 1\2 plywood, 20 inch piano hinge, piece of Automotive carpet, (2) slide latches, (1) was already provided by Redwood to close the original opening that was a useless as you know what on a bull hog, staple gun with staples and can of 3M spray glue (optional) I liked that it secured carpet to wood and I was able to fold and staple ends on back of door.

Don't forget to save the little piece of wood they use as a door stop, you can reuse that on your new opening.
Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking in the engineering department. I'm looking to add two more 10" filter cannisters, and there is no way I'm going to try and fight the little window.
ShawnAZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:50 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 347
As I use a water softener, I put the filter canisters out side before the softener. I did remove the wall to replace the pump on my 2014 in January 2014, and used velcro to put the panels back. never a problem removing them, and they have never fallen down. I built an insulated box to put the filters and softener in and it comes apart and rides in the back of my truck. Temp has been down to 15 without a problem.
__________________
Elliott & Vicky, and Sadie the GSD copilot
2014 36RE, Onan, Titan disc brakes, 17.5 inch Sailun H tires, lots of other options
2013 RAM 3500 CC, LB, DRW, Cummins, AISIN, 4x4
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×