Redwood RV Owners Community

Redwood RV Owners Community (https://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/)
-   General RV Questions (https://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Coldest temperature (https://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/f10/coldest-temperature-3546.html)

Kaidocl 10-26-2015 10:53 PM

Coldest temperature

What is the coldest temp you ever stayed in your RW? Winter is coming and the are calling for snow on Wednesday I'm squirted and have heathed hose plus heat tape on what shows on the drain pipe .

On my last 5er I made it with same set up to -30 then I had to compensate with 2 electric heathers. Didn't get colder then -45 that year.

Grizzby 10-27-2015 08:05 AM

We've been in single digit temps. Very seldom use the furnace, use two elect space heaters...will occasionally run the furnace to keep water lines from freezing when it gets real cold. Usually just remove water hose at night also when it gets below freezing. We NEVER plan to stay anywhere where there is extended cold weather...Dallas Texas is cold enough.

RWJSIM2003 10-27-2015 10:47 AM

We have been in the 20's a few time last year. I have a heated water line and have used a small trouble light in the water bay that is on a 35 degree plug. I have also used the same plug for a small heater that I used in the MH water bay. Your temps are much lower than I want to be.

https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovator...ors+model+tc-3

atom ant 10-27-2015 10:49 AM

Lorenz, is your rig skirted?

Dave&Ginny 10-27-2015 12:45 PM

I had my Redwood in Blizzard conditions well below zero and high winds. The biggest worry we had was keeping the basement warm. I had a radiator type heater in there and kept the furnace and fireplace on. When I traveled, I kept the water heater on so it wouldn't freeze, the generator on so the fireplace and the radiator in the basement operating.

To flush the toilet in the coldest weather........use windshield washer fluid with alcohol added to it (not Jack Daniels).

travelin' texans 10-27-2015 01:02 PM

Also been in blizzard conditions & the only problem was the park faucet froze, my hose was heated & wrapped & we rented a 100# propane bottle, 1 30# bottle would last about a week. Also used a small electric heater in the living & we stayed very toasty.

RWJSIM2003 10-27-2015 01:20 PM

I have Thought about wiring in two outlets one in the living room and one in the Bedroom that I could plug a cord from the power pole to the side of the RV. This would run the two outlets only off the pole 110 outlet so that it would not draw from the 50 amp power to RW. Currently in the winter when we are parked I run a cord in by the slides to run a heater. We do not pay monthly Elec at our home park so we use ELEC heaters instead of the Furnace when temps get to low for the Heat pumps.

Shane Wood 10-27-2015 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaidocl (Post 57210)
What is the coldest temp you ever stayed in your RW? Winter is coming and the are calling for snow on Wednesday I'm squirted and have heathed hose plus heat tape on what shows on the drain pipe .

On my last 5er I made it with same set up to -30 then I had to compensate with 2 electric heathers. Didn't get colder then -45 that year.

Where are you staying to minus 30
I have used 200w heat lamps near the tanks and valves in a sob up hunting in minus 40 and they worked good. If living in it all winter I would consider skirting the trailer and the 200 w heat lamps inside the skirting by the holding tanks

mhs4771 10-27-2015 06:45 PM

minus 45, no thank you, if it gets to plus 45 we're heading to warmer climate.

Kaidocl 10-27-2015 07:49 PM

Yes I'm skirted I have the bad habit to speak to my phone and it doesn't always spell what I meant. I'm staying in rock springs wy for winter and it gets very very cold. I got weather graph from last 2 years recorded on my weather station. My last 5er really didn't give me any problems let the cold water drip all night in every sink and shower that kept pipes inside from freezing but in this RW the windows are much bigger. We got small snowflakes This morning !

Enroute 10-28-2015 06:17 PM

I have been in temps down to -22 degrees and the coach did ok -- no skirting on the coach. Had 2 - 100lb bottles of propane and the coach would typically burn through 55-60lbs in a week leaving the temp set at 65 degrees. Did offset with quartz heaters and the fireplace. Thankfully I only had to do this for 2 years and now I am in warmer weather for the winters....

Kaidocl 10-28-2015 07:03 PM

That's the answer I was hoping for. thanks! I'm hooked up to 200lbs tank i just hope the RW holds up to a thru test.

Kaidocl 01-18-2016 11:12 PM

so I made it to -12 no problems... at -13 water in bathroom froze.. at -20 kitchen and shower froze.

no mayor issues besides that. I'm happy with RW.

rob_fla 01-19-2016 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaidocl (Post 60764)
so I made it to -12 no problems... at -13 water in bathroom froze.. at -20 kitchen and shower froze.

Wow, way too cold for me, we are staying south until the weather warms up some :)

johnboytoo 01-19-2016 07:55 AM

Wow, and nothing leaked after it warmed up ?!?

Our 38gk's shower controls and icemaker line both burst in MUCH warmer weather than that !!!

JerryL 01-19-2016 09:21 AM

-16, no skirting.

Grizzby 01-19-2016 09:51 AM

Alls well that ends well! Hope you guys have continued success with those temps. We'll "struggle" with lows in the mid twenties in the Dallas area...come on spring!

RWJSIM2003 01-19-2016 04:20 PM

Glad it going good but no way I am going to that cold of weather. I complain about the 30's and 40's here in OR. Best of luck hope spring comes early.

atom ant 01-19-2016 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaidocl (Post 60764)

yikes! is that counting wind chill?! Hope its not -17 overall - I have to be out your way tomorrow and snow in the forecast! :rolleyes: Wind is something else today east of you!

Kaidocl 01-19-2016 09:38 PM

no wind chill included, weather wind meter froze and broke , here constant wind 10mph to 50mph.. ordering new anemometer Friday then I will be more accurate.