Redwood RV Owners Community

Redwood RV Owners Community (https://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/)
-   Redwood Care and Feeding (https://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   What Did You Do To Your Redwood Today? (https://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/f13/what-did-you-do-to-your-redwood-today-3374.html)

Grizzby 03-08-2016 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroutTravelers (Post 62640)
Funny, just bought the wire brush and flat black Rust Oleum,too. It has been raining here in California where I have been staying ever since......

Are you going to apply the paint by spray or brush/roller?

Ford truck guy 03-08-2016 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retired educators (Post 62524)
Ford truck guy, do you have any pictures of the replacement you did? Bruce

Sorry it took so long , I forgot I was asked to do this...

Way tube bolts-
https://i.imgur.com/32GCrxjl.jpg

head bolt -
https://i.imgur.com/vlEWruZl.jpg

Elliott & Vicky 03-08-2016 09:18 PM

Maybe it's my ;ack of knowledge, but I've found that SS bolts are weaker than hardened bolts, especially in shear conditions. Am I correct?

markw 03-08-2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliott & Vicky (Post 62675)
Maybe it's my ;ack of knowledge, but I've found that SS bolts are weaker than hardened bolts, especially in shear conditions. Am I correct?

I seem to think you're correct.

Mark

Ford truck guy 03-08-2016 10:00 PM

That is true , was not thinking that there was such shear possibility on them... perhaps I need to rethink this..??
Only looking at the corrosion aspect at first.. the truck plows my snow and is up and down the salty roads all day and night during storms.. :banghead:

coloradolivin 03-10-2016 11:43 PM

Got the disc brakes finished, really fun project, thanks to Ron for all the support !! Pulled both sides of the vinyl insert in the gutter rail since the paint was peeling off. Installed black all the way down and it really looks fine going through the different colors of paint. Got a roll of it from Windish, they shipped that day and I received the next. That was suprising. :blush: Did some sealing around some areas with Lexel. Discovered the streetside fender was cracked, again. Think I will put about 3 layers of grey duct tape over it, that should look swell. Lubed the schwintek slides. Taking it to a local RV place, they will install the second patio awning on it next week.

ET156 03-10-2016 11:53 PM

there are other types of nuts and bolts that can be used and they are rust poof. I used them onboard ships for the life saving equipment. they cost more but are well the $$. they do come in different grades also. Most fastener shops carry them. they even come in self tappers.

ET156 03-11-2016 12:02 AM

Be careful of what type of screws you us with the aluminum. some type of metal will corrode the aluminum pretty fast . If you use steel as a brace under the wheel well it would be wise to put a peace of rubber between the two. I did this to my RW the same week that I took delivery. I did not do it to my prior Rv and with in a year I had to repair the holes in the aluminum. Hope this will be of some help to all.

riciren 03-11-2016 03:40 AM

Replaced shackles with MORryde 2 1/4 heavy duty shackles with wet bolts and brass bushings. Replaced Interstate batteries with Excide Edge AGM batteries. Had tires in truck and Redwood filled with nitrogen. Relocated water filter to convenience center. Added Caterpillar 1U-9891 Hydraulic Oil Additive, of course this was done in a period of 3 days time not today.

Rick and Mindy 03-12-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riciren (Post 62790)
Replaced shackles with MORryde 2 1/4 heavy duty shackles with wet bolts and brass bushings. Replaced Interstate batteries with Excide Edge AGM batteries. Had tires in truck and Redwood filled with nitrogen. Relocated water filter to convenience center. Added Caterpillar 1U-9891 Hydraulic Oil Additive, of course this was done in a period of 3 days time not today.

Can you post a picture of the water filter re-location, I would love to see how you did that.:)

riciren 03-12-2016 07:34 PM

first our Redwood is a 36FL with original located behind access door in basement. I used original housing and bracket, 2 elbows 1/2 schedule 40 male by female, and 2 nipples schedule 40 4" https://C:\Users\riciren\Documents\Redwood\Filter.jpg

riciren 03-12-2016 07:37 PM

picture i guess did not upload

riciren 03-12-2016 07:45 PM

filter

1 Attachment(s)
Hope this workded Attachment 1947

Shane Wood 03-12-2016 08:14 PM

That looks great nice job

atom ant 03-13-2016 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riciren (Post 62890)
Hope this workded Attachment 1947

That worked! and nice work! Sure makes it easier than sliding in there on your butt to get to the old location.

travelin' texans 03-13-2016 04:42 PM

About 2 years ago I made a couple heavy mounting brackets from my old Euro bed frame & mounted our water filters closer to the little doors in the basement & now don't have to crawl in there, one hand operation, easy peezy! They mounted it on a little block of wood with 1 screw, I have 8 & 10 year old grandsons that could've done it better.

Ford truck guy 03-13-2016 09:23 PM

Well , today I GOT THE iTCH real bad...

I de-winterized the trailer... Opened it up, extended all the slide, washes it.. Flushed the entire fresh water system... Check all tires... Filled the HW tank... And then sat in there and watched tv for about an hour. ;);)

We are getting ready for our first trip possibly next weekend !! :-)

Char & Steve 03-13-2016 10:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Put the Mor-Ryde 4000 kit on today along with the shackle and wet bolt kit. Timken bearings, seals and Joy Ride shock kit going on this week if I get to it.
Here is a picture of a few of the nylon bushings that came out with about 6000 miles on them.

Steve

Shane Wood 03-13-2016 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Char & Steve (Post 62948)
Put the Mor-Ryde 4000 kit on today along with the shackle and wet bolt kit. Timken bearings, seals and Joy Ride shock kit going on this week if I get to it.
Here is a picture of a few of the nylon bushings that came out with about 6000 miles on them.

Steve

#9 they must have rotted out from all that salt you use up there:rofl:

Ford truck guy 03-13-2016 10:18 PM

Looks good ! I am curious to see how easy your Joy Rider installs.... I will be looking for lots of info soon ! ;)