Redwood RV Owners Community

Redwood RV Owners Community (https://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/)
-   General RV Questions (https://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   I made a big mistake (https://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/f10/i-made-a-big-mistake-2857.html)

Dave&Ginny 04-08-2015 02:05 AM

I made a big mistake
 
Last week I was looking at my generator and since I got tired of stooping down, I raised the nose of the trailer high. Even though the refrigerator was empty, I had it on.........I left it like that for about 4 days. OOPS...... The heat exchanger is toast!

I've gotten quotes ranging from $1400-$2000. My next unit will have the residential refrigerator.

RWJSIM2003 04-08-2015 02:23 AM

That sucks especially since you are talking about trading it in. Sorry to hear that

Rick and Mindy 04-08-2015 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny (Post 46354)
Last week I was looking at my generator and since I got tired of stooping down, I raised the nose of the trailer high. Even though the refrigerator was empty, I had it on.........I left it like that for about 4 days. OOPS...... The heat exchanger is toast!

I've gotten quotes ranging from $1400-$2000. My next unit will have the residential refrigerator.

I don't knowif those quotes are just to change out the heat exchanger or the entire refrigerator but that sounds low to replace the refrigerator. I've tried removing heat exchanger on a smaller Norcol and couldn't even remove it so went with a new unit. if it was me I would see about buying a residential and getting someone to hookup an inverter for me. It probably would cost a lot less. That's going to be my plan when the Norcold quits...........or sooner.:)

mhs4771 04-08-2015 03:12 PM

Rick, that was our plans too, but ended up with a new body wrapped around that new Fridge. Think it cost a few dollars more to do it that way tho.

Dave&Ginny 04-08-2015 03:20 PM

I'll be doing some test driving this weekend and have already told the dealer about the fridg. They can fix it cheaper than I can.

Rick and Mindy 04-08-2015 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhs4771 (Post 46371)
Rick, that was our plans too, but ended up with a new body wrapped around that new Fridge. Think it cost a few dollars more to do it that way tho.

The key is to NOT LOOK at all the new models out there. And DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go to an RV show..................it can be costly!!!!!:):)

Dave&Ginny 04-08-2015 03:56 PM

The first 2 years I had the Redwood, I refused to go to an RV show. Then I made the mistake.....Vaughn told me about the Entegra and we toured the factory. So it's "Piperguy" who did this to me:lol:

piper guy 04-08-2015 04:56 PM

:socool: I'm not taking the total "hit" for that !!

Grizzby 04-08-2015 07:11 PM

Dave...sorry about the fridg. Have you finished the deal on the Entegra?

Blenhardt 04-09-2015 12:38 AM

Dave, How high did you raise the front of your coach? When we are preparing to leave we put food in the refer and the coach is not always level due to being hooked to the truck. Usually do this for one night prior to leaving. Trying to learn how much out of level is bad for refer??

Shane Wood 04-09-2015 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny (Post 46354)
Last week I was looking at my generator and since I got tired of stooping down, I raised the nose of the trailer high. Even though the refrigerator was empty, I had it on.........I left it like that for about 4 days. OOPS...... The heat exchanger is toast!

I've gotten quotes ranging from $1400-$2000. My next unit will have the residential refrigerator.

Dave
I thought the newer dual rv refrigerators had an automatic shutoff if uneven etc. Also with the refrigerant under pressure how does being uneven take out the condenser heat exchanger etc:huh:

Dave&Ginny 04-09-2015 01:43 AM

Bruce I had it up almost all the way.

Dave&Ginny 04-09-2015 01:44 AM

Shane I don't know. I always knew that they worked most effectively when the unit was level but I didn't realize that it would actually do harm to the unit.

Shane Wood 04-09-2015 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny (Post 46387)
Shane I don't know. I always knew that they worked most effectively when the unit was level but I didn't realize that it would actually do harm to the unit.

I know in past years I was told that the fridge had to be level before turning it on. Being old I can not remember the reason except that it would damage them. You would think with today's technology that wouldn't be the case

mhs4771 04-09-2015 01:57 AM

Here's what I know about RV Fridges:
The cooling fluid (some are changing to different fluids) sits in a holding tank where it is then heated, either by an electric element or heat from the propane heater tube, which turns it into a gas that flows up through the heat exchanger. When off level the fluid is no longer at an equal distance from the heat source causing an uneven heating and can cause some fluid to crystalize.
This is how it used to work in the olden days, but I understand some of the newer fridges are a little more forgiving. I think the Norcold book lists the amout of off level that is acceptable for operation.
That's my story and I sticking to it!

Rick and Mindy 04-09-2015 01:58 AM

Dave, I wouldn't be 100% convinced that your heat exchanger is shot. Google absorption refrigerators and you will see problems that can arise and possible fixes. It could be vapor locked. :confused:

Dave&Ginny 04-09-2015 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy (Post 46390)
Dave, I wouldn't be 100% convinced that your heat exchanger is shot. Google absorption refrigerators and you will see problems that can arise and possible fixes. It could be vapor locked. :confused:

How do I un-vapor lock it? I'll be pulling it this weekend. Maybe bouncing down I80 will do it some good.

Beechguyjim 04-09-2015 04:34 AM

Dave I've got a two year old one that works fine took it out of mine $1200 come down and get it

Rick and Mindy 04-09-2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny (Post 46398)
How do I un-vapor lock it? I'll be pulling it this weekend. Maybe bouncing down I80 will do it some good.

I just did a quick search and the options for un-vaporlocking the refrigerator entail removing the refrigerator from the cabinet first so I doubt that you really want to try that. There may be other solutions and possible fixable issues if you google it. Then again, going down the highway bouncing a lot might also help. :)

Dave&Ginny 04-09-2015 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beechguyjim (Post 46400)
Dave I've got a two year old one that works fine took it out of mine $1200 come down and get it

Jim, are you in Missouri or AZ?

I'll see what happens after this weekend. If I keep the Redwood I'll have to fix it but I've heard from many folks about a company about 4 hours away in Indiana that can repair the unit for around $1000.00. If we like what we see this weekend, I'll just trade it in as is and work it into the deal. Both dealers already know about the issue.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.