Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

Mini Rally-Boondocking at Quartzsite

Well, here is visual proof that Redwoods do dry camp and survive well in the Arizona dessert! Ramblin Roadrunners and I are in the 10th annual circling of the Montana's, a rally that has attracted over 70 rigs.

It has been a learning experience as dry camping presents it's own sets of issues. I have the residential package and the magnum inverter/converter has been problematic, sending fault codes. Magnum has sent me to the tent at Q for repairs today so we shall see.

We had a demo from the Lippert folks yesterday that was very interesting. The inventor of the Trailair pin box was here yesterday along with his grandson that works for Lippert. Great folks and great info. They have come out with a new pin box that is an upgrade to the tri-glide. I only have the rotoflex basic pin box so I'm going to check out the upgrade today.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2448.jpg (195.1 KB, 7 views)
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Well, here is visual proof that Redwoods do dry camp and survive well in the Arizona dessert! Ramblin Roadrunners and I are in the 10th annual circling of the Montana's, a rally that has attracted over 70 rigs.

It has been a learning experience as dry camping presents it's own sets of issues. I have the residential package and the magnum inverter/converter has been problematic, sending fault codes. Magnum has sent me to the tent at Q for repairs today so we shall see.

We had a demo from the Lippert folks yesterday that was very interesting. The inventor of the Trailair pin box was here yesterday along with his grandson that works for Lippert. Great folks and great info. They have come out with a new pin box that is an upgrade to the tri-glide. I only have the rotoflex basic pin box so I'm going to check out the upgrade today.

Ken
Ken,

I'd like to hear more about this new Trailer pin box please?

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
Site Team

I'd like to hear about the new pin box too
Old 01-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #4

It looks like the Flex-Air is a hybrid of the Trail-Air and Roto-Flex, rather than the Demco style head on the Triglide.

Not totally sure I understand the advantage of one over the other, other than it must eliminate that "banging" some folks were getting on the Tri-glide.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #5

Brad,
The way they explained it to me is that it is like a chair with glides. They replaced the rollers and zerks. Nothing to lube.

Check it out at http://lci1.com

Ken
Old 01-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
It looks like the Flex-Air is a hybrid of the Trail-Air and Roto-Flex, rather than the Demco style head on the Triglide.

Not totally sure I understand the advantage of one over the other, other than it must eliminate that "banging" some folks were getting on the Tri-glide.
Yep AA, in place of the 3 Roller Shafts that you have to grease, there is now a Rubber Block (similar to MoRyde).
This should eliminate the "Banging" some are getting with the TriGlide.
The upper part of the hitch with the air bag is the same, just the lower part has the Rubber Block instead of the 3 Roller Shafts.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:28 PM   #7

New Flex Air Pin Box

Old 01-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #8

Rob has it right, here is the info on the pin box:
http://lci1.com/flex-air-pin-box

Here is the info on the center point air suspension I'm having them install:
http://lci1.com/center-point

Ken
Old 01-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #9

Here is the arial photo of part of our group. The 2 Redwoods are at the bottom of the photo, just right of the red pickup.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 Q.jpg (167.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-18-2015, 08:12 PM   #10

Awesome Ken, that is cool on the aerial photo!

You won't be able to tell which helped more - the pin box or suspension now that you are doing it all at once I'd be curious on cost of the suspension when you get done.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #11

If you notice on the Lippert site, they are no longer selling the Tri-Glide to individuals. So if you call them for an upgraded pin box, you'll get the new Flex Air, but it appears they are still suppling the Tri-Glide as OEM. I always thought that a TrailAir Air Bag on a Mor/ryde Pin would give a great ride, so the Flex Air looks about as close as you could come.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I always thought that a TrailAir Air Bag on a Mor/ryde Pin would give a great ride, so the Flex Air looks about as close as you could come.

I would agree, looks like a great combo

Old 01-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
Site Team

Ken, I'd also like more info on upgrading the base.
When you get the Flex Air, play with the air pressure. Most of us find that if you inflate it all the way up to the top of the arrows the nose rides a little high and the ride is harsh. In mine, I run about 75 lbs pressure and it sits about 1/2 inch down from the top of the arrows.

You may have to lower the hitch height in the truck
Old 01-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #14

Vaughan ,
Great tip! I drove back to camp, about 6 miles with it set at the arrows, about 85 lbs. I lowered it as you suggested before driving about 90 miles to Yuma yesterday. It road much better. Thanks!

Ken
Old 01-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #15
Site Team

Glad I could help. Now the next step will be either the Center Point suspension - which several people have had good luck with - or the MorRyde IS Suspension. I have the IS and disc brakes and will tell you I'll never go back. May try the Center Point in the next coach if I can't get the IS but will always have some sort of cushioned suspension with shocks. Ride and handling difference is night and day.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #16

It's too soon for me to comment on the center point, however I do like the ability to keep a higher pressure on the heavy side of the rig.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #17
Site Team

Ken, my apologies. I forgot you did the center point too. I'll be very curious how it works out for you. I'm thinking seriously about another coach and the center point would be much less than the IS.
A good test is to leave a fairly heavy plastic bowl on the island and then check it about 2 hours later. I did this with a piece of non skid under it with the stock suspension and always found the bowl somewhere in the living area. Did it again 3 times after the IS went in and the bowl doesn't move. Neither does the paper towel holder next to the stove or the coffee maker next to the stove. With the original suspension, the coffee maker was always living in the sink ....
Old 01-22-2015, 09:23 PM   #18
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Here is the arial photo of part of our group. The 2 Redwoods are at the bottom of the photo, just right of the red pickup.

Ken
Must be a lot of generators in use as I don't see a lot of solar panels on those rigs.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #19

There were lots of both solar and gen's. My Champion 3100 worked very well and is pretty quiet. I seemed to me to sound about the same as Ken's Honda 2000 duel set up. I ran mine a lot to keep my deepfreeze frozen. I was not planning on boon docking when I bought my Redwood. I felt it did the same as the Montana's.
Full timers Oct 2014
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote