Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Somewhere on this forum I saw that someone uses bottled water to make their ice cubes. I cannot locate this post again. If someone knows exactly how to do this I would like to know. We use bottled water also and it would be good to do this in the frig if possible in the ice maker.
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMac

Somewhere on this forum I saw that someone uses bottled water to make their ice cubes. I cannot locate this post again. If someone knows exactly how to do this I would like to know. We use bottled water also and it would be good to do this in the frig if possible in the ice maker.
You'd have to put some type of pressure behind it, possibly a different pump which I guess wouldn't be hard to do. I do run soft water through mine.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #3

We used our ice maker for the first time this past weekend. We have not yet install the inline filter but did place a filter between the supply hose and the trailer. One of the Walmart charcoal filters. Our ice had a heavy "hose" taste. Has anyone found that the factory installed filter eliminates this issue or perhaps know another solution?
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #4

The Redwood filter does not remove taste, it removes a lot, if you have hose taste, be sure you are using a drinking water hose from an rv store. Good luck. There is a water pump for the 5 gal water bottle but where are ya gonna put the bottle. We don't have the auto job so we use the molds and bottled water. Bud
Old 07-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
We used our ice maker for the first time this past weekend. We have not yet install the inline filter but did place a filter between the supply hose and the trailer. One of the Walmart charcoal filters. Our ice had a heavy "hose" taste. Has anyone found that the factory installed filter eliminates this issue or perhaps know another solution?
I don't believe I have an extra filter in the ice maker line. I haven't so far experienced a bad taste but we do use a water softener which might help with that. The only problem I've had so far is that if the container slides out from under the maker while traveling, I get ice cubes being made and dumped on the bottom of the freezer. After a long drive, if I don't check it before going to bed I get quite a few of them.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Site Team

I do think we're getting a chemical reaction with the ice cubes. After a long day of traveling, something in the ice cubes makes my Jack Daniels evaporate rather quickly. I've check my glasses for leaks, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #7

Ha Ha Dave
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #8

Dave! Stop using ice in the JD. Better that way. Even I know that , and i am Canadian
Old 07-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campers
Dave! Stop using ice in the JD. Better that way. Even I know that , and i am Canadian
Bud....I appreciate that advice! I like the Canadians.....beautiful country up there and I hope to experience camping there in the future.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #10

See ya in Aug