Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #1

Camping trip to Bryce, Zion, Arches

We are planning a trip out West in April or May, 2021 to Bryce, Zion, Arches, etc. and would love to hear from someone who has been out in the area. Not sure how many days to spend in each area. We do not hike so will be driving through the parks and getting out to look at what we can from the road. Is 4 days too long at each park? I have a list of about 12 campgrounds from our National Parks book but would also like your comments on a campground that you would recommend or one that you would tell us to stay away from It's always good to hear from someone who has been there. I'm thinking if we don't start making camping reservations now we will be too late???? Appreciate any help/direction. We own a 2018 3991RD.
bker60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #2

Southern Utah is one of our favorite places to go. Way too much to see and do than one trip can hold. We've been to all the National Parks you mentioned. Arches in 2019 was a great place to visit if you're not too into hiking. Most formations can be seen from parking areas along the road or within short (1-2 mile RT) walks. Delicate Arch is a good hike from the parking area, though. I highly recommend Dead Horse State Park. There is a easy trail along the rim which gives you great views of the Moab area, La Sal mtns, and part of Canyonlands. The Canyonlands scenic drive is nice, but most of Canyonlands requires hiking or Jeep/UTV/ATV to see, but still the scenic drive is incredible. If you're up for a longer day drive take in the Monument Valley while there. We stayed at the Portal RV Resort with our 2104 31SL, we stayed 4d/5n in Moab and just scratched the surface.

If you're not into hiking, then I recommend only one or two full days in Zion. We stayed at the Watchman CG in the park. We went Spring 2020 and there were plenty of COVID-19 restrictions on the number of people who could drive the Canyon. The Pa'rus trail, Grotto Trail, and the Riverside Trail are easy paved walking, but most of the rest are fairly rigorous hikes. Make sure to take 1/2 day to drive up the Zion-Mt Carmel Hwy and through the tunnel. Springdale is a nice little town with lots of shop and stuff.

Bryce is spectacular. We spent three full days there and saw/did most of the easy hikes and drives. Most of the trails into the canyon are kind of challenging, but well worth the effort. We tackled the Queens Garden/Navajo loop trail and were all definitely pooped by the time we finished. We stayed at Ruby's Inn CG right outside the park; the in-park CG were closed. It was a nice campground, but pretty busy. We chose to avoid the Zion/Mt Carmel Tunnel and drove around (Hwy9/I15/Hwy20/US89/Hwy12) from Zion to Bryce. That turned out to be an easy and relatively scenic drive.

If you are driving from Moab to Bryce and you're up for a scenic but challenging drive, use Utah Hwy 12 from Hanksville to Bryce. It has some steep grades and curves but the views are spectacular.

I'm not sure where you are coming from but if you are on I70 from Green River to Richfield it has some long steady grades with little fuel to be had between Green River and Salina. So make sure you top off in Green River. If you're traveling I70 through Colorado you'll have several grades to traverse as well.

Hope you have fun, we sure did.

Robb & Julie
2013 GMC Denali HD SRW
2014 31SL stock

If
rlmankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:32 PM   #3

Ditto what Robb and Julie posted. I want to double down on avoiding towing your rig through the tunnel in ZION. Go around. While it can be done, they have to close traffic one way while you go through the center. I also think they charge for that now. A real PITA. You will love the trip.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #4

When we were at Zion a few years ago we were charged an "oversized vehicle" entrance fee, $15 if I recall, for our dually & they had the traffic flow alternating one way through the tunnel. As for the tunnel, I'm not sure your RW would fit even in the middle, personally I wouldn't take close to the tunnel.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:04 PM   #5

I cannot thank you all enough, this is huge & helps us out a lot as it always helps to hear from others who have been there and can offer guidance. I now need to sit down and map out our trip and get our camping reservations made. Safe travels. Kay
bker60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:37 AM   #6
Site Team

If you’re doing that area,I would also suggest a couple days nd go to Lake Powell. Spectacular and worth the drive.