Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2018, 03:25 AM   #1

When does trailair air spring need replacement?

So our 2015 (built 2014) trailair tri-glide pin box air spring is starting to crack a little from the rubber drying and flexing. When and what are the indicators to mark when spring needs replacement? If it wasn’t about $250 I’d replace it right away but for that price, I want every last bridge junction bounce out of it.

Also, has anyone come up with a solution to cover the trailair pin box when not in use to protect from sun damage? We cover our tires if we’re parked for more than a few days but never the rubber air spring!

Thanks!
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #2

I would not put any money into a tri glide, there is so many of those failing that LCI is extending the warrenty to owner that complain. Do your home work and deside if you want a different type . The trailer flexair / flexair roto is a newer version , the tri-glide isn't made any more.

I am looking at a morryde pin box to replace the rotoflex on mine
Old 08-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #3

The air bag & shock can be replaced from your local Firestone tire dealer & cheaper than going through Lippert, if you choose to repair it.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #4

Ok thanks. We will replace it with a MORryde pin box to eliminate two problems at once. Our old tri-glide is for sale :-)
Old 08-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Call Lippert and complain that your TriGlide is making clanging noises. They will replace it for free. They replaced mine with a new FlexAir which has been perfect.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:33 PM   #6

Can someone describe what exactly the failure is with the trailair tri-glide pin box?
mfsmith57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfsmith57 View Post
Can someone describe what exactly the failure is with the trailair tri-glide pin box?
The king pin is mounted to a plate that sits on a "rocking chair" mechanism to allow it to swing forward and backward. It has 9 grease zerks (3 of witch are a pain to get to) and if neglected can fail. Some even claim if you constantly grease it, failure is just delayed. Great concept, bad engineering.

When it fails, a couple thing can happen. The king pin plate to pin box connection can get very sloppy, loose and noisy while some have even experienced one or more of the 6 arms of the "rocking chair" break off. At least that is what I have heard. I haven't checked in a while but there used to be a few videos on YouTube of failed units.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #8

Thanks for that info. I can move the lower plate forward and backwards with not too much effort, so I'll call Lippert and see if they can send me the newer version. Would you consider this failure a safety hazard?
mfsmith57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:09 PM   #9

Mine was bad from the day I picked it up. The plate was loose and it chucked back and forth driving down a normally slightly bumpy road. I greased it and it made no difference. The dealer called Lippert and they sent a Flex Air to replace it. The Flex Air seems to work pretty well, but I don't have much to compare it to since this is my first fiver. I have seen the pictures of failed Tri Glides and it scared the heck out of me having one on the front of our new RW.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfsmith57 View Post
Thanks for that info. I can move the lower plate forward and backwards with not too much effort, so I'll call Lippert and see if they can send me the newer version. Would you consider this failure a safety hazard?
If all the pins fail the trailer comes loose from the truck. I'd call that a safety hazard.

If the trailer slams forward and backward with an accompanying banging noise in the pin box then the unit is showing signs of abnormal wear. Several of my pins failed and the sliding plate moved vertically as well as horizontally.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #11

We are going to book time at Morryde in IN to get a new inbox installed.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:21 PM   #12

When you can move the plate up and down at the front or back. failure is imminent.
I greased mine often, but it still failed. Lippert sent me a trail air bottom jaw, and I'm happy with it.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:12 AM   #13

I just replaced our triglide with the MorRyde. At the same time we installed the IS. Worth every penny on these two upgrades. The ride in the truck is much smoother and the DW does not get the whiplash as before. I can't tell which made the biggest improvement since the IS & pinbox were installed at the same time.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote