Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #1

Truck Tire Sizing

I have a 2011 F350 Dually King Ranch with stock tires. I would like my replacement set to be larger. I am thinking of going with M/T 285/75 17. I understand these may require a 2 inch spacer.

My question. Where can I go to get a larger tire installed with the correct spacer. I have approached two Ford dealerships and they won't do it. They will only provide the stock tire.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Also, should I be concerned with upgrading the tire size. Right now this is more a personal preference that the truck will simply look nicer with a fuller wheel well. I also might gain some marginal load rating.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Look around for an "Off Road" or "performance truck" type of shop. These folks live and breath modifications like this. You can order the tires and spacers from "Tire Rack". Be aware though that getting the larger tires balanced ends up being a pain.

When you get them balanced, if you have problems try the silicon sand or ceramic beads.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #3

You not only have spacers but more than likely longer studs which would be a real pain to install. The 285 takes an 8" wide rim, is 2" taller and 1.5" wider than the OE 245/75R17 that takes a 7" wide rim.

I guess I would be more inclined to spend the money on new rims than spacers and studs.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:09 AM   #4

Keep in mind the M/T will be a noisy tire so you should take that into consideration if you plan long road trips. Also, that size tire will extend beyond the wheel well and will throw road trash at whatever you're towing. Additionally, there's a good possibility that the front tires will rub when clocked hard right and left. This is the tire size I have on my truck and I installed a 2" lift so I wouldn't have to worry about rubbing.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:35 AM   #5

Also remember M/Ts usually don't have as long a tread life either.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:14 AM   #6
Site Team

Rick, It's your truck....if that's what you want...go for it. If there's a will....there's a way.

Happy Trails...enjoy
Old 06-23-2014, 04:26 AM   #7
lwg

However some very aggressive A/T's (Toyo Open Country A/T II) are both decently quiet on the highway towing and have a 50k tread wear warranty. Just have to find the right size.

I always change tires and rims on my trucks. As Titan says consider some nice new rims and tires and problem solved. Their are some sweet aftermarket options for dually's now. Spendy but nice.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #8

I currently do not have a dually, but I'm running 20" Michelin's on my F250 and the ride is great.