Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

Traveling with Items Tied/Attached on Rear Ladder

Friends,

I am trying to determine why I should or should not travel with a multi-ladder tied on to the ladder on the back of our REDWOOD 38FL.

I have seen recent thread about Yakima bike rack and red the article about the ladder that fell off the camper in Jacksonville area and am now second guessing my way ahead on how to travel with my multi-ladder. I initially thought it was the ideal place for this 50-ish pound ladder.

I first moved it in the back of the truck bed but this ladder larely laid down flat with an empty bed and did wind up putting a dent in my wheel well... I have seen other various items which have been strapped onto the ladder for movement but never a multi-ladder like I am considering. Just so ya';; know what it is... It is a Werner MT-22 ladder from Lowe's. I use it in tall step ladder mode to clean the tops of slides and also get in the roof from a more secure standpoint.

I did search the site but didn't see anything that talked about putting this type of ladder on my roof ladder.

I plan on securing it with vinyl encased light duty chain on four corners with pool noodles to protect steps and roof ladder vertical rails.

As always, I treasure your insight into this and hope to do the safe and proper thing but need your broader experience base to assist me get to that right/safe solution.

Happy Travels to all,

Bill and Diana

His TV: 2014 RAM 3500 MC DRW 6.7 CTD AISIN
His RV: 2014 REDWOOD 38FL (House)
Her TV: 2013 RAM 1500 CC 5.7 Hemi
Her RV: 2010 VCross 20VFB (Camper)
Bill n Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Bill and Diane,

I wouldn't trust the ladder on back of the Redwoods. They seem very flimsy and not well made. I carry a "Little Giant" 17ft folding ladder in my basement and it has served me well. If I were to carry something on back of my Redwood, it would be on a platform that would attach to my rear hitch.

If you're real creative, you could probably make some sort of bracket that hung under your trailer by the spare tire (depending on how thick your ladder is). Keep in mind the closer to the axles the better so you don't drag it on steep inclines.

Good luck
Old 03-31-2015, 12:04 AM   #3

Service center guys said NOTHING on the ladder or void the warranty, besides DW says it looks horrible (like the Beverly Hillbillies).
I have one of those multi use ladders, but it fits under my truck toolbox, it folds to only about 4 1/2' tall.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:43 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I have carried a ladder on the ladder on previous 5vers but they were attached a little better. I would not hang anything but laundry on this one. I am sure it would probably handle one but the previous ones were chrome and this black one would get scratched all up
Old 03-31-2015, 04:36 AM   #5

I carry a collapsible ladder in the genny compartment. One the next trip out I will try my luck with a 6ft step ladder on the rear. I don't think it weighs 20lbs.

Mark
Old 03-31-2015, 04:48 AM   #6

I have heard that carrying ladders, bicycles. etc. on a ladder can cause enough movement that the sealant on the roof where the ladder attaches can be disturbed enough that it can cause a leak through the attachment points. No first hand experience, but a friend I trust.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:01 PM   #7

Well, silly me. I just attached an 8' Werner to my ladder. Wish me luck! Guess I have been forewarned. Just leaving Arizona for a trip to the National parks in Utah, then home to California. Should be a good test.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:17 PM   #8

Did a couple trips with the two bikes on a ladder bike rack. Didn't have any problems, just didn't like the way they stuck out. Went with the Swagman because we can carry it on all the vehicles. Have an extension for it on the RV.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:10 PM   #9

Well, call us a hillbilly! We have a 4' step ladder and a 3 piece extension ladder we bought at Home Depot, although Lowes sells the same ladder. We attach them to our ladder on the back using a rack we bought at Camping World. I strap them to the carrier using the supplied Velcro and them attach at the bottom with another strap to the Redwood ladder.