Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #41
Site Team

It used to be that Illinois was known for having the the best politicians money could buy and the worst roads. Now we still have the most expensive politicians but I've been across several states with bad roads
Old 05-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #42

Try Quebec... best politicians mobsters can buy... bad roads... worse bridges. The whole province is in rebuild infrastructure mode because it is all coming apart.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #43

I have a Pullrite and I just added changed out the stock pin box for the TrailAir Glide Right last month. A big, big improvement. I tested it on a really bad stretch of road near the Salton Sea in California and I only really experienced bad chucking once compared to about a dozen or more times with the old stock pin box. This bucking and chucking could be my truck suspension bottoming out.

I'll be playing with the air pressure in my rear air bags this summer, but there are some really bad roads out there. I also carry a small air compressor in my Redwood garage so I can adjust the pin box airbag as our load changes.

I'm getting a new 2013 Ram 3500 this fall and I considered a DRW but since only 25% of my driving is towing I just can't quite get there in my mind around the bigger, wider truck.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #44

I have a 2012 Ford F450 Lariat DRW that is 25' long and I have no trouble around town, it has a shorter turning ratio than the F350 though.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #45

Silverado crew cab, dually, 8ft. box. Only vehicle we have and get around fine with it.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #46

Takes about 1 hour to get used to the truck's "hips"... where the mirrors fit, the truck fits.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #47
Site Team

I simply back in where ever I park. This way I can fit into very tight places. I do have a back up camera and back up sensors.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #48

Brad it's like whiskers on a cat, if they fit the rest will follow. The mirrors on my previous rig saved me many times. Especially the Garden State Parkway in NJ.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #49

I'm actually pretty shocked at how easy this dually is to get around. The turning radius is improved over the prior years (even though mine is not new by any means).

However, I would have much rather stayed with a SRW. It's only been a week and already I'm kicked out of the neighborhood car wash, and I have difficulty getting it parked at the airport. Hopefully it will prove itself tomorrow towing for the first time.

Funny about the mirrors - this one has retractable mirrors which would have been a nice feature on my SRW, but seems completely unnecessary on this dually.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
I'm actually pretty shocked at how easy this dually is to get around. The turning radius is improved over the prior years (even though mine is not new by any means).

However, I would have much rather stayed with a SRW. It's only been a week and already I'm kicked out of the neighborhood car wash, and I have difficulty getting it parked at the airport. Hopefully it will prove itself tomorrow towing for the first time.

Funny about the mirrors - this one has retractable mirrors which would have been a nice feature on my SRW, but seems completely unnecessary on this dually.
You still need the mirrors. I wish they still put the "old style" West coast mirrors on the trucks. I think I could see around a trailer easier with them.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant

You still need the mirrors.Â* I wish they still put the "old style" West coast mirrors on the trucks.Â* I think I could see around a trailer easier with them.
no, I meant I dont need the electric fold in feature on the mirrors, because the rear fenders dictate the width now.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #52

The retractable mirrors are handy. When you go to the car wash (yes, there are some that are set up to take a dually), and in some parking lots where the spaces are narrow, by putting them in you don't have somebody getting them out of kilter trying to walk between the vehicles.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #53

I just park ours at the end of the parking lot and take up 2 spaces. I don't feel bad about taking up more than 1 space since I park at the outer edge.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #54
Site Team

I usually end up giving all my trucks nick names, more really for humor for the ladies that take care of our business banking than anything else. The nick name for this truck is "Little Bit". Because she's a little bit fat, a little bit hungry and she has a little bit of a growl with the exhaust I have on it.

« Hitch | Lube Plate »