Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle Tire Issue

On my recent trip back home from the Service Center with my 31SL in tow I experienced a tire separation on a rear tire of my 2011 Ford. The truck came with General Grabber HTS tires (LT245-75- R17). I purchased the truck in 2013 but it was a new vehicle with less then 200 miles. So the tires were already 2 years old when I purchased. I currently have 13000 miles on the tires. Luckily I didn't throw the tire while pulling the Redwood but I am now concerned as to the credibility of the remaining tires. Ford pro-rated the tire and replaced it accordingly. Has anyone else had problems with these tires or I'm wondering if this is just a fluke that this one tire was defective. I only ran Michelins on my prior TV and wondering if I should switch now.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #2

Just did a search on the ford 6.7 forum, no one is posting about tire issues with the generals that I could find... (and they's sold one or two of those trucks with generals )

hopefully it's one-off issue for you..
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Just did a search on the ford 6.7 forum, no one is posting about tire issues with the generals that I could find... (and they's sold one or two of those trucks with generals )

hopefully it's one-off issue for you..
Thanks, I never thought about checking out their forum. My brother has a 2012 Ford and it came with Continentals but I think I read somewhere that General and Continental are the same company.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
lwg

I actually replaced the wheels and tires on my Ford immediately after buying it. I've had a few Fords over the years and they've never came with what I'd consider good reliable tires. At least they don't run the Firestones anymore.

I went with a tire rated at 4080 each and a wheel that's slightly lower. This gives me peace of mind well beyond each individual axle rating on my truck, which is 5600/7000 (although technically the Sterling 10.5 is rated at 9750 in other applications...).
Old 06-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
I actually replaced the wheels and tires on my Ford immediately after buying it. I've had a few Fords over the years and they've never came with what I'd consider good reliable tires. At least they don't run the Firestones anymore.

I went with a tire rated at 4080 each and a wheel that's slightly lower. This gives me peace of mind well beyond each individual axle rating on my truck, which is 5600/7000 (although technically the Sterling 10.5 is rated at 9750 in other applications...).
So, what brand of tire are you running?
Old 06-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
lwg

I run the Toyo ATII 295/65/20. They are slightly bigger than stock for the new Fords and probably more aggressive than most people would want. They have some nice AT or street tires with M+S rating as well if that matters.

I'm a huge fan of Toyo Tires. They are made in the USA and absolutely bulletproof. This is my 3rd set of them on various applications and I don't worry about road debris or separation at all (knock on wood). They are a bit more spendy and sometimes hard to find but that's my preference. Nitto Tire are somewhat similar (sister company to Toyo).
Old 06-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
I run the Toyo ATII 295/65/20. They are slightly bigger than stock for the new Fords and probably more aggressive than most people would want. They have some nice AT or street tires with M+S rating as well if that matters.

I'm a huge fan of Toyo Tires. They are made in the USA and absolutely bulletproof. This is my 3rd set of them on various applications and I don't worry about road debris or separation at all (knock on wood). They are a bit more spendy and sometimes hard to find but that's my preference. Nitto Tire are somewhat similar (sister company to Toyo).
Thanks for the info, I will definitely tale a look at those 2 brands when I make a move.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #8

I run the Toyo on my truck. A great tire but be prepared to reach deep into your wallet.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
I run the Toyo on my truck. A great tire but be prepared to reach deep into your wallet.
Very true, they are not the cheapest tire by any means. Just dropped $1200 to replace the worn out ones on our Non-Tow vehicle that drives with us.

But keep in mind the new ones that are considered LT tires have a 50K warranty on them. That's what I have on my Tow Truck. So far with about 15K on them they are just barely showing any wear. And that's with about 4K of Redwood towing.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:55 PM   #10
Site Team

Spindrift ~ how's the ride on the Dually with the Toyo's ? Looking at the Generals on mine with 23k, I don't think they'll make it much past 40k (I dobnt wait till a tire is totally worn before I replace it)
I was going to go to Michelins but now you've got me thinking ..........
Old 06-17-2014, 12:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Spindrift ~ how's the ride on the Dually with the Toyo's ? Looking at the Generals on mine with 23k, I don't think they'll make it much past 40k (I dobnt wait till a tire is totally worn before I replace it)
I'm probably not the guy you want to ask. My Toyos are M/Ts so they're much more aggressive...and much noisier than most folks would want on a truck pulling a fiver long distances. With that said, I've got 22K miles on them and there's plenty of tread left. I just rotated my tires as the fronts were beginning to show some wear. The truck gets a workout in all conditions and these tires just tear up anything that's unfortunate enough to come into contact with the tread. Because of the tread depth/pattern, they were a little squirmy when new but they broke in fairly quickly. Obviously, I don't expect to get a lot of miles out of them but I can say they have performed flawlessly...for an M/T that is.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:00 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
My RAM came with Michelins and I had 56K plus on them last spring, mostly highway commuting miles. I was guessing I could have put on another 10K, but, decided that I would replace them since the next 8,000 miles was going to be mainly towing the RW out to Colorado and down to Florida.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:37 AM   #13
Site Team

Toyo are good tires. I put Michelins on mine and I've had a tough time getting them balanced. I've ran these tires on a lot of trucks over the years but I wouldn't do it again.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #14

Our 2011 dually also came with the General tires, I just replaced the rears after almost 100,000 km. I have had no problems with them. The fronts didn't last as long. I went with Michelins, they had a $70 rebate program going here in Canada
Old 06-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #15

Fyi...dually tires should be rotated in order to gain maximum miles. It's certainly more difficult, but definitely worth the time and very little expense. At some point in the rotation process, those inner tires need to come off the steel wheels. Personally, I leave that particular rotation to the tire shop.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #16

I have put bf goodrich all terrain ko series on all my trucks and planning on putting them on this one two. Never had a problem with them and they go thru anything I put them in.
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #17
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
I'm probably not the guy you want to ask. My Toyos are M/Ts so they're much more aggressive...and much noisier than most folks would want on a truck pulling a fiver long distances. With that said, I've got 22K miles on them and there's plenty of tread left. I just rotated my tires as the fronts were beginning to show some wear. The truck gets a workout in all conditions and these tires just tear up anything that's unfortunate enough to come into contact with the tread. Because of the tread depth/pattern, they were a little squirmy when new but they broke in fairly quickly. Obviously, I don't expect to get a lot of miles out of them but I can say they have performed flawlessly...for an M/T that is.
I just put these on our other travel vehicle. They're well known to be squirmy until they heat up. My wife actually wanted these on our TV as well as she likes the aggressive look, luckily the ATII Extreme's were available in my needed tire size and they are fairly aggressive by today's standards.

We need a tow truck thread with pics of our TV's!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRAKOWITZ View Post
I have put bf goodrich all terrain ko series on all my trucks and planning on putting them on this one two. Never had a problem with them and they go thru anything I put them in.
Had those on my last two Ford Excursion deezles...
the last set weren't worn out @ 90k miles, but taking a long towing trip, so decided to replace them ...

HOPE to get that kind of wear out of these Michelin's !!!
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #19

Quote:
We need a tow truck thread with pics of our TV's!
Excellent idea. I'll start a thread under this section.