Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 03:16 AM   #1
Site Team

Smart Weigh Results

Ok, just because inquiring minds want to know ......

We frequently have the discussions on this forum about whether or not you need a Dually to tow most of the Redwoods. I know in my case when we bought our 2013 36RL, my 2012 F350 CC Short Bed with an 11,500 GVW was not enough truck. I was almost 1000 lbs overweight on the truck rear axle and even more than that on the truck tire capacity. Thus my SRW very quickly turned into a DRW and someone in Nebraska got a very nice truck.

So here's my question - for any of those rigs that were at the Rally that were SRW, did you get weighed and care to share the results ?

Not looking to ignite yet another truck war, but am curious about the weights and whether any SRW owners have changed their opinion on SRW vs. DRW, or had your position affirmed.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:18 AM   #2

X2!! Want to hear more about weight results!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #3

I would be interested in the weights and comments as well. I'm still towing with my SRW, have about 20k miles on my RW. I am looking at duallies now.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #4

I am also interested in GVWR results, as this needs to be improved at the manufacturing level, IMO. BUT, maybe I am wrong, and of course, everyone has different amounts of "stuff". I consider us to be more on the light-side for fulltimers, but I want to see how heavy others are! :-) I can appreciate the desire to provide a lighter option and less expensive suspension if it's appropriate, but I would also like to encourage Redwood to consider (if they haven't already) offering an upgrade for custom orders that would allow us to beef it up a lot so that we are not so severely restricted on weight. We like there to be a MARGIN of allowance, not at FULL CAPACITY all the time. And I want to be able to travel with something in my tanks with a clear conscience!

This is the NUMBER ONE REASON WE ARE CONSIDERING A MOTOR HOME!! I bet, if you polled other MH owners who left the fiver group, a lot of them would say so too!

I love my Redwood, but I am thinking about "my weight" every day, and I don't want to do that!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 08-14-2015, 02:00 AM   #5

Just be careful with those MH comments, we have friends that once there are seated in the driver's and passenger's seats they are over on their front axle (it's a Gasser so there is plenty of weight up front).
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:07 AM   #6

Yes, I know what you mean Michelle and Ann! Well, IF that ever happened it would be diesel pusher with a tag axle :-) But for that much money, I could keep my RW and just buy new stuff every time I went somewhere instead of hauling all my belongings around! LOL!

Old 08-15-2015, 12:06 AM   #7

People are going to use srw trucks, even the guy that pulled in at the rally with the DRV Mobile suite. The End.

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:17 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Just be careful with those MH comments, we have friends that once there are seated in the driver's and passenger's seats they are over on their front axle (it's a Gasser so there is plenty of weight up front).
I sit in front of my front axle and that's not a problem at all. As for weights, I can carry 10K (beside full LP, water and fuel) and still pull a 15K trailer. If I can find a place to put it, I can carry it.

I wouldn't go back
Old 08-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #9

The results of a SmartWeigh I had two years ago showed I had a pin weight of over 4K with the water tank and propane tanks full. My RAM DWR was over loaded unless
I took out 75 gallons, and the truck is as heavy duty as you can make it. A SWR would not have made it.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:36 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
[QUOTE=Dave&Ginny;52572]I sit in front of my front axle and that's not a problem at all. As for weights, I can carry 10K (beside full LP, water and fuel) and still pull a 15K trailer. If I can find a place to put it, I can carry it.

I wouldn't go back[/QUOTE
Dave
Just give it a couple years and you won be saying the same thing about sitting in front of the front axle you may be overloaded.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:45 AM   #11

I have been in Dave's new ride...... He won't be going back anytime soon Shane!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=Shane Wood;52636]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I sit in front of my front axle and that's not a problem at all. As for weights, I can carry 10K (beside full LP, water and fuel) and still pull a 15K trailer. If I can find a place to put it, I can carry it.

I wouldn't go back[/QUOTE
Dave
Just give it a couple years and you won be saying the same thing about sitting in front of the front axle you may be overloaded.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:08 AM   #12
Site Team

[QUOTE=Char & Steve;52640]I have been in Dave's new ride...... He won't be going back anytime soon Shane!!!!!!!

Actually in 4 or 5 years I'll be shopping for a new "Corner Stone". The grand dad of Entegra.

We've been running around the 2 lane roads of the Catskill Mountains of New York this week and the more I drive the more impressed I get.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:33 AM   #13

Dave, if you get up into the Finger Lakes-Niagara Falls area, give us a shout and see if we can hookup. Or if you get in this area and need a place to park for a few days, we've got plenty of room and water and electric.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #14

My uncle was trying to sell me his Newmar MH he used to full time in, as they are through RVing. In discussion with him, I was actually shocked when he said I would have to watch the cargo capacity because it was easy to overload. His is just a single drive axle pusher. I thought those monsters would carry anything but always worth researching.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #15
Site Team

Brad ~ that was one of the reasons Dave went to a tag axle. HUGE increase in useful load.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #16

Ya I would have to spend some time researching them, as they are a new ball game. Looked through a used 45 ft Newmar Sat for grins. It would fit our bill, but too much of a price tag for us as weekend warriors.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Dave, if you get up into the Finger Lakes-Niagara Falls area, give us a shout and see if we can hookup. Or if you get in this area and need a place to park for a few days, we've got plenty of room and water and electric.
We've been in the area since last Monday but today we have to start heading to home. I appreciate the offer though.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
My uncle was trying to sell me his Newmar MH he used to full time in, as they are through RVing. In discussion with him, I was actually shocked when he said I would have to watch the cargo capacity because it was easy to overload. His is just a single drive axle pusher. I thought those monsters would carry anything but always worth researching.

You have to do a lot of research on these just like the 5th wheels. There's several out there that can't handle the weight in the basements. One popular brand had a plastic floor in the basement that was prone for failure.

In motor homes just like 5th wheels, some brands focus on the glitter and glitz rather than structure.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Brad ~ that was one of the reasons Dave went to a tag axle. HUGE increase in useful load.

I just read my yellow tag to make sure these number were right.

My Carrying capacity is 11,440 lbs plus I can tow a 15k trailer. My GVW is 62,660 and naked she weighed 36,205 with full fuel and LP.

She has more than enough power with the 450 hp and I can't feel the Silverado behind me at all. It's a joy to drive
Old 08-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #20

Vaughan,

Saw black Luxe behind a black Dodge on I-70 yesterday - looked awesome.