Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2021, 12:01 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to superdav
Well we did it...it is on order. So what they explained to me is that the GVWR is the total weight in/on the truck so if the pin weight is 3700 +/- then the truck can handle 7700 +/- more weight in/on the truck.. It can tow 2100+. So it is as beefy it can get with 11,400 GVW. The axle rating is way more than 3700 on it...so we will be more than fine. My 250 was borderline at 9800 and could tow 15,400! That lasted 10+ years. So this will work great!

What a stressful time having to purchase right now...prices are up but it is that or give up RVing! Love the Redwood too much and we aren't done yet....just a tad bit poorer! lol

You guys helped us think and research it through....maybe we will see you on the road!
superdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdav View Post
Well we did it...it is on order. So what they explained to me is that the GVWR is the total weight in/on the truck so if the pin weight is 3700 +/- then the truck can handle 7700 +/- more weight in/on the truck.. It can tow 2100+. So it is as beefy it can get with 11,400 GVW. The axle rating is way more than 3700 on it...so we will be more than fine. My 250 was borderline at 9800 and could tow 15,400! That lasted 10+ years. So this will work great!

What a stressful time having to purchase right now...prices are up but it is that or give up RVing! Love the Redwood too much and we aren't done yet....just a tad bit poorer! lol

You guys helped us think and research it through....maybe we will see you on the road!

I'm sorry.... I feel bad that those people at the dealer lied to your face... Or that they are really that stupid...

They are wrong on almost EVERY statement they told you...Who flippen cares how much it can tow..... Care about how much it can carry in the bed....

If your dead set against the DRW, for the minimal cost, you should have at least gone to the long bed and had the 4k payload and NOT the 3500 version....
Ive had BOTH the short bed, AND the long bed... so much better of a tow with the long bed...

Sorry
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
I'm sorry.... I feel bad that those people at the dealer lied to your face... Or that they are really that stupid...

They are wrong on almost EVERY statement they told you...Who flippen cares how much it can tow..... Care about how much it can carry in the bed....

If your dead set against the DRW, for the minimal cost, you should have at least gone to the long bed and had the 4k payload and NOT the 3500 version....
Ive had BOTH the short bed, AND the long bed... so much better of a tow with the long bed...

Sorry
Yep! What he said!!!
NO NO NO! You cannot load up another 7700lbs on that truck!
Rv & truck salespeople typically have no idea, no experience towing a RV other than what someone has told them or whatever the brochures say, which are also full of misinformation.
I'll say this with the truck you've ordered you'll be about a 1000+lbs less overweight than you were with your F250, but you will still be over loaded.
From this point on I'll just say GOOD LUCK to you, enjoy the new truck & drive safe!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post

Sorry
Whoa...you must have misunderstood or didn't read the post. Nobody lied to me. I got the Long Bed and I beefed up the rear end. It is MORE of enough truck to tow my Redwood and it is an F350 not a 3500...thanks for your input
Old 11-23-2021, 04:00 AM   #25

Wait what are you guys telling me? A Ford F350, Lariat, Diesel, Long Bed, 4x4, beefed up suspension and axle, GVWR of 11,400, with a 5th wheel package will not be able to tow my Redwood???
Old 11-23-2021, 02:28 PM   #26

Again TOWING is not the issue, the Cargo capacity is the issue. What they were trying to tell you is the MAX your new truck can weigh is 11400 Lbs that includes all passengers, pets in the back seat, cargo in the bed AND the Pin Weight of the RW. The truck it's self will weigh somewhere around 8500 Lbs give or take as a guess.
You won't be alone towing OVER LOADED, because it is believed 60 to 70 percent of RVs on the road are overloaded.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:41 PM   #27

So any truck besides a dually should not tow a 5th wheel? What trucks can?
Old 11-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #28

Quote:
So any truck besides a dually should not tow a 5th wheel? What trucks can?
For your particular 5th wheel a dually is absolutely the best option to "carry" the weight. As you've already proven you can "tow/move" a rig your size with a lesser truck, but it was EXTREMELY overloaded on all of the trucks posted weights. I'll say the truck you have ordered is a 110% improvement over what you've been towing with.
The new truck has a GVWR of 11400lbs & as M&A pointed out the truck itself weighs 8500 that leaves 2900 lbs for everyone/everything else in the + the 3700lb pin weight so by those guessimates you're all ready 800 lbs over without the people & stuff. Now if you're new truck has a payload, the amount it can "carry", of 4k+ you'll be golden. That number can only be found on the drivers door jamb & is specific to that truck.
As M&A pointed out you won't be alone on the highway being overloaded! Dealers are notorious for selling folks either too much rv for their truck or too little truck for their rv in order to make a sale &/or not knowing any difference.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #29

Okay...I get it. Thanks for all responses.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:48 PM   #30

There are many Fifthwheels that are much lighter than RWs and can be towed by 250/2500 series trucks, there even some Ultralite units that can even be towed by PROPERLY equiped 150/1500 Half Tons, but the catch is the phrase "Properly Equiped".
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:34 PM   #31

For the record, MY 350 -SRW has a GVW of 12,400.. NOT 11,500.. MY truck Loaded for a trip comes in at 8520#

As long as you know that you cannot add another 7500# like you originally stated... Your numbers will be maxed out, or at the TOP LIMIT with no padding.

IF you educate yourself with the proper numbers you will see what we are talking about.. CHECK you RAWR rating, mine is 7240 ( that is the max weight between the rear axle of the truck on a scale along with the PIN weight of the trailer ) .... CHECK the MAX load on your rear tires. mine are 3750 # each ( 7500 total )

Safe Travels, Happy Camping
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:09 PM   #32

I would look into a short bed with a b&w companion puck system hitch. No need for a slider if you get a 5th airborne hitch that pivots at the pin and not at the hitch. Plus gives a very smooth ride. A long bed with the crew cab is a b$@;ch to drive around everyday. Make sure you opt for the puck system if buying new.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:31 PM   #33

Short vs long bed

Quote:
Thanks for the answers....So the engine will work just as hard whether it is short or long bed? Difference would be the pin weight?

What about backing in my driveway with the long bed....will my backing radius be the same? or will I be out an additional 1-2 feet? That is my main concern...
We had a F250 short bed with the super glide slider. We traded for a 2017 F350 dully. Best choice we've made. Easier pulling, backing, towing, smoother ride. And a whole lot safer. We have a 2013 36RE. Pin weight is around 3500 or so. Front living is more. Also it don't sit as high either.
skipperr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:24 PM   #34

When considering purchasing a new truck research the size of the fuel tank. Generally the long bed has a larger tank then the short bed.

Jay
Jay & Deb Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:56 PM   #35

short bed trucks dont leave much room for a in bed aux fuel tank . I have 63 gallons in the bed and 36 gallons under the truck (OEM) . At 8.5 MPG towing I can go a LONG way before I stop.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:22 PM   #36

Choosing between a short bed and a long bed for towing your 36fl RV boils down to your specific needs. While you're used to the maneuverability of a short bed in tight spaces, a long bed offers better stability for towing and doesn't require a sliding hitch.

The main difference between the two is how they handle weight distribution. A long bed positions the weight more centrally over the rear axle, which can be more stable for towing. Engine workload isn't significantly affected by bed length, but towing capacity and weight distribution are key.

In terms of backing into your driveway, a long bed might need a bit more space, but it’s likely manageable with some practice. If you prefer a short bed for its maneuverability in everyday use, just make sure it meets your towing requirements, especially regarding pin weight.

When choosing your truck, it's important to verify the payload and towing capacity, which you can usually find on the door sticker. Your choice ultimately depends on finding the right balance between your towing needs and everyday driving comfort.
NIOMARVIN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 02:10 PM   #37
Site Team

Just an fyi for you - you do realize that you are replying to posts that are years old ………