Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2015, 06:13 PM   #1

short bed

will a regular bed 3500 ram ( 6'-4" ) work with a redwood 36rl ?
swannymh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Yes it will
You may need a sliding hitch so you don't lose your back window
Old 08-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #3

If the 36RL has this pin box (Tri-glide):

You most likely will not need a slider. We took our slider out of our prior shortbed F350 when taking delivery of the Redwood. The Tri-glide is like an extended pin box and the tapered frame on the Redwood took away any concern we have for even coming close to the back window. However, measure the arc for yourself using your hitch and the 36RL you are looking at, as the truck, hitch, hitch mounting position can all impact that distance. Also keep in mind the angles that can change that distance when pulling out of a parking lot or through a gutter, where the truck is angled up and the trailer down.

The 36RL is extremely nose heavy. With out water you might expect to see 3,400 lbs on the pin, and with water nearly 4,300 lbs. We could not stay within our tire capacity on our short bed F350 and went to a dually. This is our no water or food weight with the dually. We have a side by side washer and dryer and Onan 5500 generator, but we do not have the slide in a slide, all of which impacts pin weight on the 36RL.

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #4

dually

Yes, the truck we are looking at is a 3500 dually cummins ....We have a long bed now and are just trying to shorten up a bit.
swannymh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #5

One thing that I never considered (while loved the tri-glide!) is that you not only have to worry about the 5er to truck cab clearance, but the long length of that tri-glide MAY cause issue with your truck bed...

Since I had a slider no problem with tight turns !!! right ? Nope - the very nice pullrite superglide actually moved back and to the side a bit... making the hitch to SIDE rail distance tighter thus :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg junctionbox.JPG (66.9 KB, 8 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
One thing that I never considered (while loved the tri-glide!) is that you not only have to worry about the 5er to truck cab clearance, but the long length of that tri-glide MAY cause issue with your truck bed...

Since I had a slider no problem with tight turns !!! right ? Nope - the very nice pullrite superglide actually moved back and to the side a bit... making the hitch to SIDE rail distance tighter thus :
I'm confused.......I thought you had a Motor home?

As far as the 6 foot bed......The first F350 I had was a 6ft bed and I towed the Redwood without problem. You do however ALWAYS have to be careful of weird angles with either 8 or 6 ft beds.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:50 PM   #7

Quote:

So in your case, the slide actually hurt you rather than helped!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by swannymh View Post
will a regular bed 3500 ram ( 6'-4" ) work with a redwood 36rl ?
My F350 is a short bed with a Reese Elite 18K slider hitch and is great for my 36 RL. So far I have not had to use the slider feature however I keep an eagle eye out when cutting sharply. The RW nose design is intended for short bed trucks.

I also have the the TrailAir hitch which also helps with the clearance issue.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:31 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt View Post
Welcome to the forum and to the Redwood community. I hope you are successful in finding the RW that suits your needs. We Really like and enjoy ours. While not full timers we use it quite a lot including spending about two months at a time in the South during winters.
with my shot box I moved that plug box up inside the pin box. It was dangerously close to the tailgate.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
with my shot box I moved that plug box up inside the pin box. It was dangerously close to the tailgate.
I did the same after the first tow. It rubbed on the tailgate.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAircraft View Post
My F350 is a short bed with a Reese Elite 18K slider hitch and is great for my 36 RL. So far I have not had to use the slider feature however I keep an eagle eye out when cutting sharply. The RW nose design is intended for short bed trucks.

I also have the the TrailAir hitch which also helps with the clearance issue.
found the same with my GM short box and I have the root flex pin box which is shorter than the air ride pin boxes \he trail a air extends out an extra 6 inches and makes a difference
Old 08-05-2015, 02:17 AM   #12

To Dave, yes I do have a motorhome - but just giving a lil heads up regarding the trailair and how far to the side it can extend when pivoted

To AA, yes, the pullrite slide not only backwards but to the side a bit like in and shallow inverted W ....
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote