Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #1

Rolling Earthquake

You've heard the term mentioned many times on the forum, but here is the real thing! I have no basis of comparison but this is on what I would consider a reasonably smooth paved road (I-76 near Hudson CO). I have 8K axles and G614 tires inflated to 110 psi, along with a tri-glide. There are much worse parts of 76, but not in the plan today.

Mor-ryde, Trailair center point, all these sound great, but would be interested in how much they help!

Edited out, but the dishwasher drawer does not lock without power, so it spends most of it's time banging against the cupboard which I didn't know, and about in the middle watch the hard bump followed by a whoop-de-doo! The slides flex in! I won't complain anymore about a few nail heads sticking out, and I'm definitely not going to take the time to stack the forks and spoons anymore

https://youtu.be/cRGaBX08srI
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:23 PM   #2

I really thought it would be worse, it's not good, but I expected cabinet doors & drawers to open/close then slam shut. It looks like the island actually rocks back & forth. Nice job!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Shame we're not closer. It would be interesting to put it in ours and see what the difference would be with the IS in the equation. Otherwise, your rig and mine are twins.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:36 PM   #4

I wondered about the dishwasher, so we put an old cheap pillow between the slide and dishwasher before starting out, at least it's not slamming into something hard.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #5

Once I got my first nick in the fridge from the island drawers sliding into it., I got in the habit of putting the couch pillows between the pantry/trash drawer; dishwasher/oven; and fridge/island drawers. No problems since. Low Tech solution.

I also got bagged by the curb side sofa cushion vibrating forward and lodging between the dining slide and wall - ripping off the trim behind the slide. This is indicated by the load cracking sound when extending it. Now I take the outside sofa cushions off and store them between the dining chair and recliner while under way.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #6

I was a bit shocked at how much that island moved as well! Probably not something that happened in our old horseshoe kitchen Montana. The pillows are a must now, I've heard you folks talk about it but I never tried. I do end of with the couch cushions caught in the slide if I'm not careful.

Jim, that would have been a nice comparison - same road and coach!
Old 09-12-2015, 11:55 PM   #7

Brad,
Now you have an excuse to try that shock kit

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:44 AM   #8

I think that was a pretty darn smooth ride, all things considered.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:50 AM   #9

My main objective was to make sure the tires were balanced. I keep getting signs of trauma back there..chaffing on the slide seals, sawdust, lose screws, etc., but the balance seems fine.

I agree the overall ride was not bad, but the road was not bad either. Further up I-76 turns into a hitch slapping nightmare from the worn concrete interstate. It would be interesting to re-video next time I head up there towards Nebraska.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:00 AM   #10

Brad last summer coming back from the rally taking the interstate from Ogalalla to Denver, that was the worst interstate highway I've been on yet. We were porpoising for over 100 miles.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
I really thought it would be worse, it's not good, but I expected cabinet doors & drawers to open/close then slam shut. It looks like the island actually rocks back & forth. Nice job!
I agree. I kept waiting for the "oh no" moment, but it didn't happen. There has to be some vibration, but I guess so long as you don't cut a corner too hard (Vaughan), the wine stays in the cabinet and off the carpet.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #12

The only thing that's ever fell is a portable heater we keep in the cabinet above the couch, it will be laying on the couch & the cabinet is closed & latched. Everything travels pretty well in ours 90% of the time considering some of shi##y highways we have been on, someday someone will figure out that they CAN transition the highway to the overpass/bridge.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
Brad last summer coming back from the rally taking the interstate from Ogalalla to Denver, that was the worst interstate highway I've been on yet. We were porpoising for over 100 miles.
I made the mistake of towing the boat with the super duty up that highway once. Never again. That F350 dually is very unforgiving when empty and when I looked in the mirror that boat trailer was catching air under the wheels each bump! I moved to the left lane and stayed there.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Guy's Gal View Post
I agree. I kept waiting for the "oh no" moment, but it didn't happen. There has to be some vibration, but I guess so long as you don't cut a corner too hard (Vaughan), the wine stays in the cabinet and off the carpet.
hahaha - I've actually never lost anything out of Cupboards on the Redwood. Some of the drawers on the island open, but that's about it.

Coming from a Motorhome years ago - I sure don't miss rolling down the highway with all that rattling and trauma in the same cab with you!
Old 09-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #15

I think the shock kit is on my shopping list over the winter.
We have never traveled the far Western roads yet as we go up and down the East coast every year but in all our years of travel, I have to say the absolute worst roads we have been on (HWY) is Rt.95 from the CT./NY. line all the way to the Jersey line.Down through the Bronx is just a nightmare!! We bypass it now and shoot out 84 and hit 95 again just after Fredericksburg VA. It adds two hours to the journey but worth it.

Steve
Old 09-13-2015, 11:09 PM   #16

We always put one of the sofa cushions on the floor in front of the RIGHT side "file drawer" (which has the booze in it, so heavy) and it fits JUST RIGHT when the slides close to limit the movement of that drawer until I can get a lock installed. We put one of the decorative throw pillows in front of the dishwasher drawer to keep it from opening/closing too. The drawer under the bed also comes out, so I put a bed pillow in front of that too. So far, so good. Oh, and all the hangers fall off the closet rod if they are empty, so I squeeze those between clothing, and they stay. Obviously, everything off the surfaces... I put all of my utensil canisters off the stove area and put them in the kitchen sink, along with everything on the hutch top by the table, all on top of a large bath towel in the sink. On our limited tows, no issues so far. Thanks for posting Brad, VERY interesting! It's useful to know what's going on in there, so you can PREVENT damage... That dishwasher drawer probably does NOT like banging open and shut!
Recently I rode in ours from the campsite to the dumpstation to check it out and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of movement and vibration. I was happy about that.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:12 AM   #17
Site Team

Brad thanks for posting that. That island sure seems to move more than I had thought it would have. All those little jolts have got to take it's toll over time.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:18 AM   #18

Dave, your right. If you look full view, that faucet is really telling the story. I was a little shocked to see the island move.

I'm assuming that MH is a little smoother inside? I'm sure they have pretty nice suspensions these days.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:40 AM   #19
Site Team

I just got back today from a trip and yes it does. I keep a bowl of fruit on the kitchen counter along with the typical plastic containers as well as the coffee pot and toaster. It all stays pretty much where I put them unless I have to do some quick maneuvering. The only problem I've had is the freezer door has to be locked or it opens and slams shut which scared the hell out of me the first time.

I am having trouble with a rattle coming from the generator door and I guess I carry too many tools because I can hear them rattling sometimes. Ginny followed me and said that the whole unit seemed to be more planted going down the road. She said when following the Redwood she could see it bounce over bumps and this MH just absorbs them. I guess the 44,000 lbs helps the ride.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:48 AM   #20

All my stuff stays basically where I put it, and I have the standard Redwood setup.