Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2019, 04:18 AM   #1

Replacing lower jaw assembly: Trail Aire Hitch

First of all, I hope this is the correct forum category to post the following in;

I have spoken to Lippert Components about my issues and concerns regarding the design flaw(s) involving their Trial Aire hitches that were installed on the 2013 - 2015 (I believe it was) Redwoods that were failing. Ie: cracked and broken bolts that hold the lower jaw assembly on, etc. They are shipping out the replacement jaw assembly to me, and I plan to attempt to do the change out myself. Keeping in mind I'm fighting terminal cancer and am somewhat weakened by it, I do plan to have an assistant helping with the lifting, etc. But in looking at the directions diagram they sent me via email, this looks like a fairly simple process.

Has anyone else attempted this job on their Redwood? If so, any advice on how to go about it other than following their instructions step by step and properly bracing it until secured with the mounting bolts?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ccd_0002002.pdf (881.6 KB, 40 views)
Eaton Fuller Super 10-speed Transmission
ET Senior Fifthwheel Hitch,articulating air ride pin box
Resident Lead Host @ Ross Prairie Trailhead & Campground
Gary Hage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
Site Team

First of all, so sorry to hear of your illness.
Yes, many of us have replaced the lower jaw. It is not a real difficult task other then it is somewhat heavy both to remove the old one and to attach the new one. I just backed my truck under it and used some blocks and a floor jack to help support it. I did also have one person help me.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #3

We replaced ours earlier this year.....I worked at it on my own....but had access to one of our tractors to take the weight....I assume you are talking about removing the "tri-glide" system and replacing with the replacement fixed jaw that lippert sends out.......No issues....simple job....with two men....would be super simple....The only issue I had was alignment of the large hinge pin...one side easy....but getting it in place on the far side was a task....if I were do do this again I would probably take a file and remove the sharp edge on the pin (just slightly) so it tracks into its home hole easier....once its started....you can use the security bolt to draw it in place....of course....give everything a fine coat of quality grease before assembly...
Most of the weight is the tri-glide head....its a beast....
They also send out all new hardware....and a new shock (plus bright new decals)
So they do a great job sending out the complete replacement kit..
Good time to give the air bag a good inspection....especially if you have not kept it covered out of the elements...

Good luck...Wes
2015 38RL 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:31 AM   #4

Receive Lippert Tri-Glide replacement part yesterday

As a part of the design issues LCI had been experiencing with their Trail Aire Tri-Glide pin box assembly, I had contacted them with the concerns I was having regarding issues with mine on our Redwood 36FB when towing. They agreed to warranty out the original pin boxes long jaw assembly by replacing it with the air ride non tri-glide (fis pin) version they had developed to quickly and inexpensively resolve the issue. My replacement part(s) arrived yesterday afternoon via an XPOLogistics truck.

You can rather imagine my surprise when the driver rolled up the door on the back of his trailer and there sat a brand new Lippert LO5 Air Ride pin box assembly rated at 21,000 lbs, rather than just the long jaw replacement assembly. I am literally starting over with a brand new pin box from the RV frame out! Based upon the cost of replacement parts such as the air spring, gas shock, etc. and the fact that our RV has been parked under an RV carport and out of the weather for most of its life, I'm going to gut these parts off of the old pin box and keep them as backup parts.

My experience working with LCI to resolve this issue and our concerns could not have been a more wonderful experience, as they were very friendly and helpful, (unlike the many negative comments about LCI throughout the years) and the shipper they chose to deliver the 206 lbs pin box were very professional and informative from the time the part was picked up all the way until it was delivered. Now I have to get busy dropping the original pin box assembly and installing the new one!
Old 12-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #5

I am Happy that Lippert took care of you....I also found them polite....responsive and they shipped out (in my case parts) fast/ pre-paid....Shows the urgency of the repair...and the dedication of the company....If someone has had a Lippert made frame issue (one of the more common things to talk about around the camp fire).....we have to remember...that the design of the frame (specs) originated from the actual rv builder...like crossroads ...or keystone....Lippert just filled the order....With the exception of missed or poor welds....most of this issue came from too light specs for a certain application....
Great that you now have a replacement...get some help to get into place....one more thing you don't have to worry about....Hoping for the best on your medical issues.....Regards

Wes.....2015 38RL 2016 F-450
Old 12-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #6

It's just too bad that Lippert took so long to own up to the issue with the Tri-Glide. There was a group of us several years ago fighting for replacement and go nowhere, so while at the Rally a few years ago, MORryde took a truck load of Tri-Glides to the scrap year as we replaced with a MORryde Pin box.
Very glad for you and others more recently that got a replacement.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #7

I was on the fence with replacing with MoRryde when our Tri Glide was not working correctly. But Lippert sent us the same replacement at no cost and it has worked great so far. I also saved most of the extra parts before scraping the metal.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:42 PM   #8

LCI contact #

Hi. I have a Trail Aire hitch on my Redwood. I have had trouble trying to get any satisfaction from my RV dealer regarding my hitch here in Canada, so would like to know the contact number you used to get satisfactory support from LCI. We have towed our 38RL to the southern tip of Baja, as well as Mexico City without any problems, but the stories I hear and read scare me. So I’d like to switch out my hitch-at no cost if possible.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #9

I called the customer support number for Lippert and they were helpful. I had to send them the numbers of the Pin Box and they approved the replacement. I told them that the Trail aire Pin box was moving easily and clanging loudly. 574-537-8900
Old 12-23-2019, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
I called the customer support number for Lippert and they were helpful. I had to send them the numbers of the Pin Box and they approved the replacement. I told them that the Trail aire Pin box was moving easily and clanging loudly. 574-537-8900
Exactly the sane thing I did that got such great results! We've already taken the old Tri-Glide off and installed the new Air Ride pin assembly hung in the pin box on our Redwood. I have not torqued (or tightened) the mounting bolts, as I plan to replace them all (bolts. washers. and nuts) with brand new Grade #8 Zink coated hardware rather than the standard steel finish that rust.

Since I have a feeding tube permanently implanted in my stomach, I am very limited on lifting, and the range in which I can lift. So I built a work table tall enough and strong enough to place a couple of my small piston jacks underneath the pin assembly to lower and raise it as needed, and to support it while removing/installing the bolts, etc. Other than lifting the pin assembly from the ground and up onto the table, all went very easy, with little strain to the muscles. Once I receive the hardware that I ordered to install this pin assy and install it, this project will be completed, and we will be able to rest assured that we will not have to worry about the issues and possible failure down the road that oour Tri-Glide presented.

My thanks to those who helped pave the way in getting Lippert Components Inc. to understand the issues and concerns with those pin assemblies, and the finally make resolution for the problem by replacing it at their cost, and not the customer's. I was all could have received the help that I have been given by LCI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4232.jpg (317.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4230.jpg (343.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-24-2019, 12:53 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hage View Post
Exactly the sane thing I did that got such great results! We've already taken the old Tri-Glide off and installed the new Air Ride pin assembly hung in the pin box on our Redwood. I have not torqued (or tightened) the mounting bolts, as I plan to replace them all (bolts. washers. and nuts) with brand new Grade #8 Zink coated hardware rather than the standard steel finish that rust.

Since I have a feeding tube permanently implanted in my stomach, I am very limited on lifting, and the range in which I can lift. So I built a work table tall enough and strong enough to place a couple of my small piston jacks underneath the pin assembly to lower and raise it as needed, and to support it while removing/installing the bolts, etc. Other than lifting the pin assembly from the ground and up onto the table, all went very easy, with little strain to the muscles. Once I receive the hardware that I ordered to install this pin assy and install it, this project will be completed, and we will be able to rest assured that we will not have to worry about the issues and possible failure down the road that oour Tri-Glide presented.

My thanks to those who helped pave the way in getting Lippert Components Inc. to understand the issues and concerns with those pin assemblies, and the finally make resolution for the problem by replacing it at their cost, and not the customer's. I was all could have received the help that I have been given by LCI.
When I replaced my TriGlide with a new Flexair (all at Lippert’s expense) the RV repair shop insisted that we replace the fasteners with Grade 5 and not grade 8. They stated that grade 8 are very hard but somewhat brittle and not the best for the shock loading application as they could fracture. Also, we placed the bolt heads on the inside of the pin box and the locking nuts outside to be able to properly torque the nuts to the bolts. There is insufficient room to attach a torque wrench to the nut if it is inside the pin box.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Snowbirds View Post
When I replaced my TriGlide with a new Flexair (all at Lippert’s expense) the RV repair shop insisted that we replace the fasteners with Grade 5 and not grade 8. They stated that grade 8 are very hard but somewhat brittle and not the best for the shock loading application as they could fracture. Also, we placed the bolt heads on the inside of the pin box and the locking nuts outside to be able to properly torque the nuts to the bolts. There is insufficient room to attach a torque wrench to the nut if it is inside the pin box.
My thoughts exactly on grade 5 vs grade 8.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #13

Generally speaking....Grade 8's are a poor choice for "Live" loads....as when they fail they simply break with no warning...Grade 5's will distort and stay attached with heavy loads....
At the dealership we used grade 5's for most things to do with hitches and pin boxes...
Clamping force is better with grade 8's....but shear forces are the thing to consider.....and 5's win that category hands down...
Wes

2015 38RL. 2016 F-450
Old 12-25-2019, 11:58 PM   #14
Site Team

Agree with the above. Lots of years in racing and we were very specific as to which grade went where. If clamping, grade 8. If any chance of shear force, 5
Old 02-26-2020, 03:36 AM   #15

For those of you that have replaced the tri glide with lipperts replacement fixed jaw: I noticed that its it’s about an inch higher. Does that help increase the bed rail clearance while still towing level? What about the electrical box area that gets dangerously close to the bed rails while turning sharply? Seems to me that after replacing the tri glide movable lower jaw, I could raise my truck hitch higher. Thus getting more clearance. Or am I missing something?
dave737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:23 AM   #16

I raised my hitch in the truck to max height...no issues...And yes there was about 1 - 1 1/2 " difference between the two pin boxes..

Wes

2015 38RL. 2016 F-450
Old 02-26-2020, 05:21 AM   #17

Ok Wes, I am feeling a little stupid now. Did you net gain bed rail clearance by removing the trail air lower jaw? Or did you have to raise the truck hitch just to get back to the clearance you had before? My tri glide is fine right now. I am trying to figure out a way to gain more bed rail clearance without getting more nose high. Pin box is already at its highest setting. I can raise my truck hitch an inch or two more.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #18

Before I removed the tri-glide ...I measured from the under side of it to the ground....when I installed the new assembly (fixed lower jaw) from lippert...I re-measured...found that measurement had increased ....Instead of moving the whole pin box down ...I raised the truck hitch up to max hieght (which happened to be 2 more inches)The only thing this might interfere with is if someone had a cover for their box used when not towing....it may not clear the in truck hitch head....(looks close)....In regards to bed clearance...its maintaned..

Wes
Old 02-26-2020, 04:26 PM   #19

Thanks Wes, that makes sense. I am going keep a close eye on my tri glide for now. Will replace if it starts failing. I can move my hitch up 2 inches when the time comes.