Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #1

Rear Camera at Roof Height

Has anyone successfully fished in a rear camera to the roofline? Either through the rear clip or ceiling?

I don't want anything to show exterior and not sure how it's going to get done. I debated installing on the deck below the rear window, but bikes are going to be in the way most of the time.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #2

I hope someone chimes in on this. I have the camera, and everything to do the install, but wasn't sure where to run the wires. I thought about running my fish tape through the marker light and down to see where it comes out. I already did my hitch camera, installed it on the bottom of my Bakflip tonneau cover pointing at the hitch and displaying on my GPS.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #3

The marker light was my thought Could probably fish down as well as across to center, providing there is a big enough hole behind those lights. Doesn't sound fun.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #4

Pm Rollie & Laurie, he's done it, but I don't know for sure how. I am sure he would be glad to share.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #5

Steve & I are looking into purchasing the wireless unit. I thought below the rear window also but didn't think about the bikes like Atom mentioned hmmmmm
Old 04-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #6

The wireless unit would be easier to do, you could tap into the marker light for power and not have to run any long video cables. I have heard that it is hit or miss for the wireless on our units due to height and length.
USN Retired

Old 04-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #7

I've heavily considered wireless, and not giving up, but I'm just not seeing where they work well in the reviews. Some offer a an extension wire to move the antenna closer to the truck, but then it is no longer as simple as powering the camera off of the marker light, rather its back to running wire from the roof.

I've got the garmin wireless for my nuvi in my "shopping cart", but it just seems like its $150 smacks down the drain if it doesn't work well. It already has several strikes such as very low resolution, no night vision, and no real mounting hardware other than the license plate. However, I have not ruled it out for a try.

I'm looking at the Safety cam with the clip on mirror monitor.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #8

I was in the same boat. Decided on a wired system. Have the quick releases for the RW and truck. I am either going to use my Garmin's video port for the camera or my Lockpick. My only dilemma now is where to put the camera. I have fabbed up a mount that attaches to my hitch extension, it would put the camera right above my bike rack.
USN Retired

Old 04-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #9

On edit, I meant Rearviewsafety.com, not safety cam

Will the Garmin nuvi accept a camera other than their own? I don't see where I would plug it in.

What do you mean your hitch extension?
Old 04-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #10

My Garmin the DZ series has a small video port on the base. I bought a video cable adapter from GPS nation. The hitch camera plugs right in and when my backup lights come on, the Garmin switches to the camera view. For the hitch extension, I bought an extender to push the bike rack away from the RW. It is a simple male/female extension piece. I fabbed up a aluminum socket that accepts an aluminum square pipe (from the winegard antenna when I replaced it). It is just taped up right now trying to decide the best approach. I would love to mount it up high facing down.
USN Retired

Old 04-23-2015, 07:49 PM   #11

Ah, I misunderstood, I thought you had the camera mounted above the bikes.

I was actually considering viewing low, is it that bad?

Hmm, just looked at my Nuvi base, it does have video and audio inputs.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:29 AM   #12

Just took a good look at it and it doesn't look like much fun trying to get the wire from the upper marker light to the camera if you want it centered on the unit. If I offset the camera much closer to the marker light it would be easier. If we go with a wired camera it looks like enough room to snake down the side of the rear window and most likely enough room to see were it's headed if you take the signal or parking lights out.
The other thought I had when looking at it was possably using the ladder tube. One hole on the side at the top and as long as I can get behind the bottom it would be one hole through the fiberglass. Just have to see what will be easier but still reading the wireless reviews since it would save a bunch of time.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:06 AM   #13

Wow, -super idea on the ladder tube!

On the upper markers, I was just figuring taking the center one and the side one to get it fished over.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:57 AM   #14

On a wired camera, it might also be viable to mount it high on the rear cap and then fish the wire above the ceiling back to the front. That's the technique I used when I installed my scare lights at all four corners of my RL.

I actually dropped all the ceiling lights and used their wiring to pull the wire back to the front from the rear corners. Probably a few devices up there that you could borrow the power to connect to.

If you're clever, you could bring the wire down the pigtail to connect to the truck's nav monitor. For example, on a GMC, you could hit the wire for the rear camera in the tailgate handle.

The above is a lot of challenging work - but the alternative is getting the wire from high on the rear cap down past the window so you can run it through the bellypan. Just a thought...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:47 AM   #15

Why again are we trying to go with a wired camera? I went with the Voyager wireless with 7" screen for in the cab of my truck. Clear video, and sound when backing up. I mounted mine below the center clearance lights on the rear cap. Tapped into the center clearance light for power and ground. Just turn on running lights and it works great. Truck is over 19' long. Our RW is a 2012 36RL. Thought that all the metal in the frame and front might block signal? No! Works great! We mostly use it for backing up but have adjusted it for view down the road while traveling. Our bikes don't go any where, so I just turn it on when needed.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1934.JPG (81.3 KB, 7 views)
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:58 AM   #16

I would gladly go wireless - yours is the first testimonial I've heard that says it works! What model Voyager?
Old 04-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #17

Me too...I am ready to buy.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #18

OK, Home from work and found my model number. Voyager WVOS511. Comes with 5.6" LCD screen. Works on vehicles up to 60' in length. A link to one at amazon- http://www.amazon.com/Voyager-WVOS51.../dp/B004RCSW4I

Work was using these as on option on the 5th wheels we built. Think it retailed for about $600 or so. I remember paying about $300 for it a year ago. Work has gone to a lesser cost unit, Furrion. Don't know if Furrion would work as well on our big Redwoods.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:30 PM   #19

hmmmm - I wonder if the word "digital" is a new technology for these which has resulted in good reviews for the wireless.

$600 smacks won't go over well with the DW. I may pull the trigger on this one. The extra $50 over the wired type for trailers would save a lot of wiring if it works.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/produc...cigarette.html

Problem is where to put that big monitor. Not a lot of room left in this F350.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:22 PM   #20

AA

Do you think it would work on the navigation system screen (my Ford touch) as there are extra video inputs?

Jim

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote