Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #21

Mixwtx, keep your chins up and smiles on your faces. You'll get through this. I know it's hard right now, but one day you'll laugh on what you've accomplished say we did this. Best wishes on getting back on the road. Vic
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #22

Thanks for the support ADAMSVR! Taking the time to update our NUVI maps while "vegging" at the motel. Also napping to make up for the lost sleep and stressed nerves. Will keep everyone updated on the outcome so that others can be more aware of possible problems and what other things to look for while doing maintenance.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #23

Micwtx, hopefully your issues will be corrected quickly. I am glad Lippert reacted with such great customer service, that is comforting to know. Understand you are enroute to the factory. We just left the factory service center. The entire team did an outstanding job and we were extremely pleased with the work, service and customer support
Old 10-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
When I am towing my RL, I look in the mirror and compare the road stripes looking down the side of my trailer. It doesn't seem to track straight. It might be an optical illusion, but I would gladly pay to confirm it.

I often read where owners or dealers discover the axle alignment is off, but where can you have this specialized work completed? Don't you need specialized laser alignment equipment to do this?

When I toured the factory, I didn't see this type of equipment which means they rely on Lippert to do this before they receive the chassis. I'd like to verify this alignment independently.

Mike If you know where there is a good tractor trailer place like Fleet Pride, you could take it there to have an alignment checked. I used to do this for the company I worked for before Fleet Pride bought them out. We used to us a laser setup that went off the rear axle and we shot it at a target that hung off the pintle pin in the front. If the rear axle was in line we then set the front axel to the rear. We checked this by a center to center tool.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #25

micwtz, we are happy that all is going to work out for you and your new coach. Safe trip next week!!!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Home
Wow is right Dave. You gave me an Idea. We were FMCA people for many years and they had a feature where you could call on fellow members in that area for some help and references if all else fails. Even sleep overs if you had the space. This could be something we could have on this forum. A (Buddy list) This could be guarded with a registration only using your four number vin code. You could enroll and be protected after joining the forum. No number, no access no crap from spammers. SUGGESTIONS Please!
GREAT IDEA! we seldom travel with ALL of the tools needed to do a major fix on the road but I sure do have them in my garage if someone was traveling near me. I also have a 50 amp plug if someone wanted to plug in and park in my driveway.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
Wow, what an experience... That's a nightmare situation that's difficult to preempt and can happen to anyone. I confess that I've never even had the wheels off of mine, but I think I'll have my tires rebalanced (just to verify my dealer) and repack the wheel bearings for my winter prep.

BTW, what part of the country is this and what was your actual purchase date - this October or last?
One thing you can do to check for "extra play" in your wheel bearings is to lift your wheels off the ground and try to shake your wheels from side to side. There shouldn't be any play or very little play. If there is, then the axles nut has to be tightened. Be careful not to over tighten the axle nut.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #28
Site Team

Although it's unfortunate that there was a problem....it's refreshing to hear that it sounds like Redwood and Lipert has gone the extra mile trying to help a stranded RV.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #29

If you want to treat yourselves to a wonderful meal there in Cadillac, go to Herman's downtown - great German restaurant, not opened Sundays.
We're very familiar with the Cadillac area.
Good luck!
Old 10-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #30
Site Team

[QUOTE=lillyputz]

After reading about your bearing problem, I checked ours. It took alot of grease, just under a tube, before the grease started coming out of the outter bearing on all four. I would suggest, everyone check there's. Still have three zerts on the suspension, that won't take grease.

Be careful when greasing the EZ lube hubs. Too much grease and the grease will go past the inner seal and onto the brakes. Some people won't even use the EZ lube to add grease. On our Montana I would give each wheel a couple of pumps every two thousand miles or so.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:53 AM   #31

Bearings gone bad

Tuesday, 03/18/2014, we were pulling our 2012 RW36RL north on I75 at 70 mph near Fort Myers, Florida when a van pulled up on the driver's side and motioned for me to look at our rear wheels which were smoking. We immediately pulled off on Exit 141 and maneuvered through some barrels on a newly paved section of the exit so that we were out of the traffic lanes. When I checked the driver's side rear wheels I noticed the rear most wheel looked out of alignment. When I raised the wheels off the ground using the leveling lifts, the rear most wheel almost fell off. We contacted Coach-Net for help and started loading our truck with everything in the camper, clothes, food, everything we could get in the truck because we new we would have to abandon the Fiver for a few weeks while we had it towed and serviced somewhere. About 90 minutes later a truck/tractor trailer mechanic checked out the wheel and said that the bearings were destroyed as well as the brake pad assembly and the brake drum. He promptly threw all the broken parts in his truck and headed off to get replacement parts. He said he would have us back on the road in several hours and he did. We were lucky. The wheel could have fallen off anytime and done some major damage to our camper and possibly caused damage to other vehicles or caused a major traffic crash. I asked the mechanic what could have caused the bearings to go bad on an RV that has only been towed 10-15,000 miles. He said the grease can dry up, but that wasn't the case here because the broken bearings and axel end were covered with grease. I believe the carter pin broke (the weak link in this wheel retention system) allowing the drumb retention nut to unscrew and allow the wheel to come loose. I believe the alignment of the tire or axel is off and put stress on the wheel and the weakest link, the carter pin, finally broke. I am going to have the alignment of the wheels and axels checked by a truck repair company and also have the remaining three bearings replaced with new bearings. I don't want my Lippert (Falcon Axles) chassis warranty to be voided, so how do I go about getting approval for this alignment check by a truck repair company that was recommended to me by my Ford dealership when I needed to have my F-350 dually truck aligned? Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Whistler
Whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #32

Wow!!! You were lucky. Sorry for the mishap... the first thing I would do is call the Crossroads Service Center at 1-260-593-3850, and then Lippert at 574-537-8900. Demand the bearings be replaced with USA made bearings from Timkens. Atomant posted the following part numbers:

These are the lippert numbers and CR numbers.

Outer bearing #129752, CR #02475
Inner bearing #122066, CR #25580
Outer race #168687, CR #02420
Inner race #124287, CR #25520
Seals #122088, CR #22333TBN
Oil cup #280480

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #33

Thanks for the advice. I'll call Redwood and Lippert as soon as I can. Thanks for the part numbers.
Whistler
Whistler is offline   Reply With Quote