Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2020, 08:37 PM   #1

Possible clutch problem

This more of a truck question then an RV question. My truck with about 42,000 miles sat most of the winter. Had to go help my daughter get a refrigerator today and about 10 miles into the trip it appeared the clutch was slipping in 4th 5th and 6th gear during acceleration, RPM's going up rapidly without really going any faster. I got up to speed in 6th and all seemed well. At the next light I kept the brakes on hard and was able to stall the truck in 2nd gear, then no more indication of slipping the rest of the trip, even though I tried at every stop light. has anyone had a similar thing happen to them (hopefully there are some stick people on the site)? Is there a chance that a film of rust built up on the flywheel while it sat over the winter? I guess my next test will to hook up the 5th wheel and see how the clutch works.
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:28 PM   #2

I seen a flywheel that got a few rust spots and left a raised line where the disk face had relief lines in the clutch face. Its more likely a throw out bearing that was sticking on the return so the pressure plate could not apply the full clamping force. You could try doing a few standing starts in 3rd or 4th gear so it has to slip the disk on the flywheel. If that seams fine then push and release the clutch peddle fast 20 times , the truck doesn't have to be running or moving. Your just looking to let the action maybe scrape off any rust if its binding on release. I would say if you notice it slipping when your not pulling a load its really bad and should be looked at if you still have a issue after trying my abusive clutch trick.

post back if this seams to cure it , I have a guy I work with that has a Cumming 5.9L 6 speed stick in a GM truck . I could ask him if the has had any issues , his truck sits all winter also.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #3

If you're talking standard transmission clutch I'm no help.
If automatic, my last '05 GM the torque converter went out causing the same issue. The dealer said that was the 1st Allison tranny he'd ever known of to have that issue. He said typically if that transmission had problems, usually never, the tranny was replaced. In my case there was not a factory torque converter for it anywhere in the country, replaced with an aftermarket high torque unit & no problems for the next 100k miles before trading.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:04 PM   #4

Got another chance to drive truck today. Went easy at first, then just before getting home did some full throttle 4th gear accelerations up a hill. Obtained full boost and there was no slipping. So it appears XCMARK you may have been correct about the sticky throw out bearing. At least in my mind not slipping at first then as the truck warms exhibits some slipping and at normal operating temperature, no slipping. I did everything you said, so it may be fixed, at least for the time being, have to assume whatever made it stick is not rally fixed.
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote