Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #41

Tried something new....never again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0436.jpg (301.7 KB, 21 views)

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #42

Yes, but Ron with that setup you can tow an RW with a 150/1500 series and not have to worry about pin weight, tho you might be a bit over the GVWR.
To me, that setup defeats the entire reason for going with a 5th Wheel vs Bumper pull.
As for looking for a better hitch, not sure how well a good Air Ride Hitch would play with the Tri-Glide. Might have to change the pin box anyway.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:18 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Yes, but Ron with that setup you can tow an RW with a 150/1500 series and not have to worry about pin weight, tho you might be a bit over the GVWR.
To me, that setup defeats the entire reason for going with a 5th Wheel vs Bumper pull.
As for looking for a better hitch, not sure how well a good Air Ride Hitch would play with the Tri-Glide. Might have to change the pin box anyway.
I have the trailer saver TS3 it has 2 air bags and 2 shocks, the RW has a standard pin box. With only one air bag and one shock on the pin box I would think the air hitch would have twice the cushion. I can see the RW bounce up and down coming off of bridges but the truck don't bounce much.

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:44 AM   #44

That set up looks like it would put you over length in most states! I can visualize a Tundra hooked up to that!!
I wouldn't swap for my B&W & if I could swap the lower plate on the Tri Glide it would be the perfect set up for me!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty glampers View Post
I have the trailer saver TS3 it has 2 air bags and 2 shocks, the RW has a standard pin box. With only one air bag and one shock on the pin box I would think the air hitch would have twice the cushion. I can see the RW bounce up and down coming off of bridges but the truck don't bounce much.
I think I will have to agree here... After looking this hitch over well at the Rally it looked incredible! A hitch brand once again is personal opinion on most (there are exceptions) but way to much talk about your pin box. I have the standard right now with no air bag so I will upgrade but if you already have the air bag the next best move is the hitch. Are there any other brands then this one mentioned that run the bags and shocks?
This hitch combined with the air bag pin box most likely can not get much better.

Steve
Old 09-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
I think I will have to agree here... After looking this hitch over well at the Rally it looked incredible! A hitch brand once again is personal opinion on most (there are exceptions) but way to much talk about your pin box. I have the standard right now with no air bag so I will upgrade but if you already have the air bag the next best move is the hitch. Are there any other brands then this one mentioned that run the bags and shocks?
This hitch combined with the air bag pin box most likely can not get much better.

Steve

I am no expert on the subject, but, I have always heard that air bags on both the pin box and truck hitch don't work well together and can actually degrade the towing. So, one or the other, but, not both. I don't think there is a complete solution for today's poor roads.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #47

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
A helicopter
Old 09-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #48

We have had the TS3 for several years and when we ordered our 38 rl, it was suggested to stick with the standard rotoflex pin box. I have not been satisfied with the rotoflex and when we were at morryde getting the IS installed, I had the pin box changed to the morryde which does cushion any fore and aft shock. This is the combination we had on our Montana and it seemed to be the best for us. The TS3 does a fantastic job with the vertical shock (the front of the trailer floats along as the back of the truck bounces) and the morryde cushions horizontal shock.
Ken&Cyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
I am no expert on the subject, but, I have always heard that air bags on both the pin box and truck hitch don't work well together and can actually degrade the towing. So, one or the other, but, not both. I don't think there is a complete solution for today's poor roads.
I've heard that too!

When we hit a whoop-de-doo - that Trailair launches up in the air - I couldn't even imagine what that would be like if the hitch did also - I would feel completely out of control, and I would worry about the rear dipping too far down as well, especially with a bike rack or towing.

I'm real happy with our tri-glide- best riding pin box I've had, but always considered the TS3 as the ultimate with a standard pin box or even the Mor-ryde pad pin box. The only problem for me is the weight of that hitch and trying to remove it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #50

With the TS3 you definitely need a standard pin box, what I looked at was the wider foot print of the air hitch vs the narrower air pin box. The TS3 has almost 3x the area for the pin to ride on then the air pin box. The 2 drawback I've found is the weight (Hensley recommends pulling the pins out and leaving it locked to the pin box and raise the front of the trailer lifting the hitch.) The other is you can't use the return to the unhook position feature on the RW because the airbags on the hitch are never in the same place. ( if the sun is hitting in the back of the truck the airbags raise the hitch or vise verse.) Not a problem though I keep the pin low and let it push the hitch down as it goes in to lock.

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #51

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Does anyone know how much lower the flexaire pin box sits compared to the rotoflex. It looks like it is about 4" lower. I need to gain somemore clearance from the bed of my truck and I have run out of adjustment with my current setup
Thanks
Old 09-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #52

You should gain 2+ inches.

Mark
Old 09-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #53

Thanks
That's all I need I only have 51/2" now
Old 09-10-2015, 06:18 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Does anyone know how much lower the flexaire pin box sits compared to the rotoflex. It looks like it is about 4" lower. I need to gain somemore clearance from the bed of my truck and I have run out of adjustment with my current setup
Thanks
It sets about 4 inches lower, but once I hooked it up the truck the RW was perfectly level once the airbag went up, I have a 2012 F450 with a B&W Companion hitch. I was able to use 6 pin box bolts on each side.I can tell you It weighs twice as much as the Rotoflex. It rides so smooth now.
Buddy Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #55

Thanks all
Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #56

ya if its like the tri-glide, I have tons of clearance and the hitch is all the way down and pin box all the way up. In fact the b&W didn't go low enough for me.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Wallace View Post
Trailair Flex Air 5th Wheel Pin Box - Lippert 1621 - 18,000 lbs Lippert Components Fifth Wheel King Pin LC328492

I just ordered this Flex air Pin Box from E Trailer, does anybody have one, if so how is the ride with it?
I have the TrailAir 18K and love it. I started with the standard hitch pin supplied with the RW and drove about 100 miles after taking delivery. I returned to the dealer that evening and had the TrailAir installed. What a difference it made.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
RCAircraft01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #58

Hello all, I see this post is more then a month old and relatable to my situation. When I purchased my Redwood 31sl it came with the rota flex, Goodyear ST E rated tires, needless to say, received my first blowout so now upgraded to Goodyear G rated tires. They also gave me a Reese 16 pro hitch. Decided to move up and purchase a Trailer Saver DB3 that has a tow capacity of 18,000 lbs. what I've experienced is a little more chucking but over all ride quality is nice. My problem is my 1999 ford dually 2 wheel drive is riding low and my 31sl is not level so I'm now considering Firestone airbags for truck along with Viair portable air compressor to fill airbags and G rated tires.
So here's my dilemma, I may be able to level out truck and fifth wheel but not sure about both airbags working with each other and if so I'm concerned about bed rail height. So either I keep the Trailer Saver DB3 or buy the Trailair that everyone seems to be talking about for height clearance of bed rail. Any comments would be highly appreciated.
CampAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #59
Site Team

I would think you should be ok with the AirBags on the truck. It's my understanding that the TriGlide pinbox is NOT a good idea with a air ride hitch.

I will have a TriGlide pinbox and Reese Elite 25k Ford Puck mount hitch for sale in the near future as I am changing my RL to a MORyde pinbox and a ComfortRide hitch. I know with the ComfortRide, which is a similar design but does not use airbags, they told me the pinbox would fight the hitch.

If it was me, I think I would add the Airbags and see what that did and then do pinbox if needed. Just my .02
Old 10-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampAddict View Post
Hello all, I see this post is more then a month old and relatable to my situation. When I purchased my Redwood 31sl it came with the rota flex, Goodyear ST E rated tires, needless to say, received my first blowout so now upgraded to Goodyear G rated tires. They also gave me a Reese 16 pro hitch. Decided to move up and purchase a Trailer Saver DB3 that has a tow capacity of 18,000 lbs. what I've experienced is a little more chucking but over all ride quality is nice. My problem is my 1999 ford dually 2 wheel drive is riding low and my 31sl is not level so I'm now considering Firestone airbags for truck along with Viair portable air compressor to fill airbags and G rated tires.
So here's my dilemma, I may be able to level out truck and fifth wheel but not sure about both airbags working with each other and if so I'm concerned about bed rail height. So either I keep the Trailer Saver DB3 or buy the Trailair that everyone seems to be talking about for height clearance of bed rail. Any comments would be highly appreciated.

You wont have any problems as long as you keep the Firestone bags inflated to a higher level. Remember these bags are intended to raise the ass of the truck and not be used for air ride suspension.