Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #1

OK, gave up on the wireless cameras...

So far none worked WAY on the back of the redwood...
I even tried a portable just to see the 5er hitch from the ccsb drivers seat and it was not dependable, so....

Even though it was easy to remove the center headrest on our ford, still difficult to see the in-bed 5er hitch...

WAS going to get the $$$ lockpick or the $800 wireless voyager kit, but
opted to spend $10 or $15 for the DC3Z-14A412-A wiring harness to connect to our built in tailgate rear view camera when I go to hookup and when towing...

Plan is to just plug it in to activate the in bed camera whenever I go to drop the tailgate, hopefully it makes it about 5 less times jumping in and out of the truck to line up the pin and hitch those last 5 feet or so

There is is a plug under the rear of the bed for disconnecting the tailgate harness when removing the tailgate.
This is where you plug the new harness in and route it up to the bed side by the 5er plug so you can switch camera feeds...

IMHO, MOST wireless camera will not send a strong enough signal from the rear of a 5er... so I haven't resolved that one yet... have to trust the wife with the cellphone
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
Site Team

On mine with the Reese hitch, if I align the two mounts where the headrest used to be on the center of the pin when I look in the rear view mirror, I can back up till I don't see the pin anymore then stop, get out and raise or lower the pin and then just back in and latch. I load mine all the time single-handed.

I have an Eyeball wireless remote hitch camera that works well but have only used it for the ball mount when towing utility or car trailer. Takes me more time to mount the camera for the fifth wheel than it does using the centering in the mirror method.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #3

Similar to Vaughan, I hitch up single handed, but leave the centre headrest in place.

I want the face of the king pin arm just open and lined up with the headrest. The bottom of the bag just above the headrest. I back up until just before connection, get out to make a final adjustment on height and then back in to connect.

Not having DW assist is 1 less distraction watching out where she is. Once I'm connected she assists with the lights check.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #4

I can generally hit the pin first time after all these years of hitching up 5er's. Would like to find a good reliable backup camera for the rear of the rig to connect to my Lockpick. Wife and I have a good system for hooking up, but after all this time I can't locate her backing in, wrong side, blind spot, etc. I have seen a few folks that have mounted one of the small cameras in their third brake light connected to one of the small monitors. If you are on the DieselStop, there was a discussion a few months back about installing in the third brake light.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
So far none worked WAY on the back of the redwood...
I even tried a portable just to see the 5er hitch from the ccsb drivers seat and it was not dependable, so....

Even though it was easy to remove the center headrest on our ford, still difficult to see the in-bed 5er hitch...

WAS going to get the $$$ lockpick or the $800 wireless voyager kit, but
opted to spend $10 or $15 for the DC3Z-14A412-A wiring harness to connect to our built in tailgate rear view camera when I go to hookup and when towing...

Plan is to just plug it in to activate the in bed camera whenever I go to drop the tailgate, hopefully it makes it about 5 less times jumping in and out of the truck to line up the pin and hitch those last 5 feet or so

There is is a plug under the rear of the bed for disconnecting the tailgate harness when removing the tailgate.
This is where you plug the new harness in and route it up to the bed side by the 5er plug so you can switch camera feeds...

IMHO, MOST wireless camera will not send a strong enough signal from the rear of a 5er... so I haven't resolved that one yet... have to trust the wife with the cellphone
John,
Were you ever able to try the wireless one for your Nuvi?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #6

Never pursued it...

the backup camera in the bed is not a 'MUST HAVE', just a 'like to have'

I did get all the parts to hookup one in the bed (ford harness for tailgate, camera, and cable) but I am mostly averse to manual labor so it's still in my office over there on my credenza !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #7

hahaha - ya you're like me. Still have the parts in the Redwood for the Trailair compressor (actually installed the compressor but opened a beer and never finished the switch and valve).

I would like the Nuvi wireless just for the backup camera on the truck, but this truck may be on it's way out soon anyway.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:32 AM   #8
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post

I would like the Nuvi wireless just for the backup camera on the truck, but this truck may be on it's way out soon anyway.

Mr. Ant what is this, your "truck may be on its way out" don't tell me you have caught the fever

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:53 AM   #9

Ya - don't necessarily like the lower color scheme on the 15s, so may jump at a 14 when I hear the new discounts Saturday from Ford.

Of course the wife has different ideas, because she is also looking at a new Ford for the same reason, and we sure ain't going to do them both
Old 08-22-2014, 04:40 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Ya - don't necessarily like the lower color scheme on the 15s, so may jump at a 14 when I hear the new discounts Saturday from Ford.

Of course the wife has different ideas, because she is also looking at a new Ford for the same reason, and we sure ain't going to do them both
Call Woodhouse and save some money. They're closer to you than they are to me and I saved a bunch. You might be able to get both.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:26 AM   #11

I drove all the way to them from Oregon and they saved me a bundle. Plus it was the easiest vehicle deal I've ever done. PM me if you want other details but they were great to work with.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
Site Team

X3. I've posted on here before how great Woodhouse was to deal with. My next new vehicles will come from them no matter what brand (they are dealers for Chrysler products too among others but Ford is their big store)

Great people and they have a big I house accessory division. My truck was delivered with the 25k Reese and a Roll n Lock cover as part of the deal among other stuff I added.

Send me a PM if you need more info.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
Site Team

Love auto spell. That was supposed to be a big in-house accessory division. Lol
Old 08-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #14

Trying them now
Old 08-22-2014, 11:53 PM   #15

pictures, Brad, pictures.......

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote