Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #1

My first good tow in three seasons

After three seasons of that trail air slamming every time I stop and every time I go. Filling the grease fittings. I told the dealer when I bring it in for service that pin box is leaving. I called lippert and asked them how do you stop the slamming. The customer service guy asked do I have 6 or 9 grease fittings. I said 9. He said they will warranty the pin box. They shipped the dealer a new "fixed" lower jaw.
I picked up my rig yesterday and towed it to the storage place for the winter about 50 miles. The best tow I had in three seasons. The only question is why did I wait so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2016, 02:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
After three seasons of that trail air slamming every time I stop and every time I go. Filling the grease fittings. I told the dealer when I bring it in for service that pin box is leaving. I called lippert and asked them how do you stop the slamming. The customer service guy asked do I have 6 or 9 grease fittings. I said 9. He said they will warranty the pin box. They shipped the dealer a new "fixed" lower jaw.
I picked up my rig yesterday and towed it to the storage place for the winter about 50 miles. The best tow I had in three seasons. The only question is why did I wait so long.

That's how I felt after swapping my tri-glide for the flex air... HAPPY - HAPPY - HAPPY
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
That's how I felt after swapping my tri-glide for the flex air... HAPPY - HAPPY - HAPPY

It looks like they swapped the tri-glide with an air-ride. What a difference.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Sorry to hear you had the problem and it's good that Lippert is now doing the right thing.

A couple of years ago I was having problems and Lippert said I was crazy. I seriously thought that I had tweaked the system due to the extra torque I had built into the truck. When the folks called me that were considering buying my Redwood from the dealership I warned them that the pin box was concerning.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #5

That is disheartening. We never had a lick of trouble with our tri-glide. No clunking - towed like a dream. I liked it much better than anything we had before, including the 5th airborne. I wonder how it is doing now with the new owners.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:01 PM   #6

One thing to keep an eye on with the "flex air" in the 1"rubber insert/pad. I had the Flex Air installed at the rally this year and noticed just be fore coming to Florida that it had twisted. The curb side had slid 3/4" towards the rear. Lippert assured there was no danger in driving with it that was but they still arranged to have Palm Beach RV change it out when we got here. 45 minutes and all was done. The dealer said it was rare but it does happen. Also thanks to Palm Beach RV for their service...
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #7

We've also towed with our Tri=Glide for three years now and only experienced chucking once or twice. Very satisfied with the ride and feel behind us.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:23 PM   #8

Cool

Had our tri-glide two years keep it greased no probems yet.

Dale & Tracey
Dogs; Ringa & Callie
2015 38RL
2012 Dodge Limited
Dale & Tracey Fietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Got rid of the TriGlide this year at Rally and went with MorRyde pinbox. Best move I made along with the Comfort Ride Hitch. Bridge joints that used to make us cringe even with truck airbags and air hitch are now a minor "thump, thump, " inconvenience.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:55 PM   #10

Driving down the highway a guy would come on with no regard to me. I tapped the brakes and slam the trailer came crashing forward the couple of inches in the plate. Then he got up to highway speed and I stepped on the gas and slam backwards. I cringed every time I started or stopped. Lippert didn't even blink when I called to ask how to stop that. They said gave your dealer called and we'll send him a newer model pin box. The dealer even commented how easy they made it. Right now I'm a happy camper. [emoji1][emoji1][emoji449]

Old 12-18-2016, 01:47 AM   #11

There was quite a few of us at this years Rally that changed out the Tri-Glide for the Mor/ryde Pin Box, even DRV has switched back to Mor/ryde after using the Tri-Glide for a couple years.
We wanted a more robust pin since we're pushing 18K plus and the Tri-Glide was only rated for 18K, made me a little jumpy, especially with reports of Tri-Glide failures.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:57 AM   #12

M & A

Our Tri-Glide pin box has printed on top:

21000 GVW. Is that true or false?

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
There was quite a few of us at this years Rally that changed out the Tri-Glide for the Mor/ryde Pin Box, even DRV has switched back to Mor/ryde after using the Tri-Glide for a couple years.
We wanted a more robust pin since we're pushing 18K plus and the Tri-Glide was only rated for 18K, made me a little jumpy, especially with reports of Tri-Glide failures.

The pin is certainly heavier. When I picked up my rig I grabbed a new plastic plate to ride between the box and hitch. The two of us couldn't even get it on the pin. The hole in the plate seemed to small yet it fit on the old pin with no problem.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:27 AM   #14

I had a complete failure of the Tri Glide, contacted Redwood and they shipped me a replacement Tri Glide Pin Box, but after the failure I was not comfortable with the Pin Box.
While at MoRyde last summer getting the IS installed, I told them to go ahead and change the pin box.
My Redwood has towed great since the MoRyde Pin Box and IS upgrade.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:18 AM   #15

Jim & Mary, I believe Lippert did make a 21K Tri-Glide cause I saw one on a different brand, but the 18K was the one used on most of the RWs.
The 18K rating on the Tri-Glide is why RW only rates RWs with 8K axles for 17.9K Gross when the upgrade to 8K axles should give you an 18.5 rating.
Seems there is still some confusion as to what is on the new '17s, if the Flex Air is 18K or higher.
We now have a 24K Comfort Ride Hitch and 24K Mor/ryde Pin Box and couldn't be happier with the overall ride and comfort.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:19 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
That is disheartening. We never had a lick of trouble with our tri-glide. No clunking - towed like a dream. I liked it much better than anything we had before, including the 5th airborne. I wonder how it is doing now with the new owners.

I believed they worked a new pinbox into the deal.

I installed the Tri-Glide myself the first year we had the Redwood. We were amazed with how much of a difference it made. But about a year later it started slamming back and fourth. I tried the grease that others said resolved the issue but we didn't have any luck, just more mess.

Again, I might have damaged it myself with the extra torque that the "Beast" was putting out. In one case I had to get off from a dead stop in a construction area where we were about to be rear-ended. I lit up the tires and I know this must have put a lot of strain on that pin box. Another time we almost hit an Elk coming down a mountain. There was strain on everything that night while I brought the rig to a stop.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
Driving down the highway a guy would come on with no regard to me. I tapped the brakes and slam the trailer came crashing forward the couple of inches in the plate. Then he got up to highway speed and I stepped on the gas and slam backwards. I cringed every time I started or stopped. Lippert didn't even blink when I called to ask how to stop that. They said gave your dealer called and we'll send him a newer model pin box. The dealer even commented how easy they made it. Right now I'm a happy camper. [emoji1][emoji1][emoji449]

What did they send you???
gvtahoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:22 AM   #18

When I had a catastrophic Tri Glide failure an d contacted Redwood / Lippert, I requested a new model replacement, but was sent the same model Tri Glide that failed.
I did not want to have another failure in the middle of no where and almost loose my Redwood like last time so I ran the new Tri Glide till I could get to MoRyde and send the Tri Glide to the scrap metal pile.
I will say, during the short time I towed with the new Tri Glide it preformed fine.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvtahoe88 View Post
What did they send you???

They sent the air ride lower jaw..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk