Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #1
Site Team

MORryde Pinbox and Comfortride Hitch Update

OK ~ as promised, here is a report on the new combination. We've now pulled it approximately 650 miles through the rotten roads of the Ohio Turnpike, PA Turnpike, and I70 in Maryland.

Some background ~ my RL is almost 4 years old. I've pulled it with both a 2012 SRW F350 and a DRW 2013 F350. Won't go into all the reasons for the change but suffice to say the difference in trucks is substantial.
The coach has a MORryde IS system and also Kodiak Disc brakes. Truck has Airlift 5000 airbags with on board compressor and remote.
Previously had the Trail Air Tri Glide pinbox and a Reese Elite 25k on factory puck mount system. Overall trailer pulled well, ride wasn't bad, had a lot of clunks and bangs from hitch even when well greased.

Now for the new setup ~ only words that quickly come to mind are OMG what a difference. Within the first 2 miles, Tracy looked at me and said "wow, the whole rig feels totally different. More stable and feels like truck and trailer are all one " We hit the first bridge joint, one that we've hit before and had some chucking (although controlled and not bad with the old setup) and had nothing but 2 "thumps". No chucking, no back and forth, no up and down.
Cruising down the highway, I could see the coach nose in the center mirror moving up and down with the bumps like it would with the Tri Glide. Difference is no airbags to mess with.
I started playing with the airbags on the truck. Used to be I ran about 45-55 lbs pressure for suspension control and to get best ride from the old hitch/pinbox. The truck didn't need airbags for weight carrying.
Found best ride was with airbags set to 10 psi. Pretty much just along for the ride and not doing much other than controlling suspension.
Ride, we feel, is actually better than the truck alone.

Bottom line ~ was it worth the money ~ ? A resounding YES. Have no more concerns over the pinbox, no more airbag to play with, and the ride is nothing short of incredibly better. As Michelle had said ~ we are very Happy Campers.

Wound up swapping my Reese to someone else who needed a 25k hitch and now have a 20k B&W Hitch for sale if anyone needs it. Ford factory puck mounts.

Please contact me if you need more info on the Comfortride. I was so impressed with it and the construction that I am now part of the company and will be demo-ing and showing the Hitch at shows and Rallys
Old 08-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
OK ~ as promised, here is a report on the new combination. We've now pulled it approximately 650 miles through the rotten roads of the Ohio Turnpike, PA Turnpike, and I70 in Maryland.

Some background ~ my RL is almost 4 years old. I've pulled it with both a 2012 SRW F350 and a DRW 2013 F350. Won't go into all the reasons for the change but suffice to say the difference in trucks is substantial.
The coach has a MORryde IS system and also Kodiak Disc brakes. Truck has Airlift 5000 airbags with on board compressor and remote.
Previously had the Trail Air Tri Glide pinbox and a Reese Elite 25k on factory puck mount system. Overall trailer pulled well, ride wasn't bad, had a lot of clunks and bangs from hitch even when well greased.

Now for the new setup ~ only words that quickly come to mind are OMG what a difference. Within the first 2 miles, Tracy looked at me and said "wow, the whole rig feels totally different. More stable and feels like truck and trailer are all one " We hit the first bridge joint, one that we've hit before and had some chucking (although controlled and not bad with the old setup) and had nothing but 2 "thumps". No chucking, no back and forth, no up and down.
Cruising down the highway, I could see the coach nose in the center mirror moving up and down with the bumps like it would with the Tri Glide. Difference is no airbags to mess with.
I started playing with the airbags on the truck. Used to be I ran about 45-55 lbs pressure for suspension control and to get best ride from the old hitch/pinbox. The truck didn't need airbags for weight carrying.
Found best ride was with airbags set to 10 psi. Pretty much just along for the ride and not doing much other than controlling suspension.
Ride, we feel, is actually better than the truck alone.

Bottom line ~ was it worth the money ~ ? A resounding YES. Have no more concerns over the pinbox, no more airbag to play with, and the ride is nothing short of incredibly better. As Michelle had said ~ we are very Happy Campers.

Wound up swapping my Reese to someone else who needed a 25k hitch and now have a 20k B&W Hitch for sale if anyone needs it. Ford factory puck mounts.

Please contact me if you need more info on the Comfortride. I was so impressed with it and the construction that I am now part of the company and will be demo-ing and showing the Hitch at shows and Rallys
I'm very happy for you! The biggest issue with RVing is getting a good balance between the truck and trailer. Along with this, getting the 2 units not to fight each other while going down the road. It sounds like you've found the solution which will limit stresses for truck, trailer and yourself. Congratulations!
Old 08-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #3

We have about the same results. Started with 4 Cells for the first leg of our trip. Installed the 5th cell for the second leg, and switched back to 4 for the final leg. Think 5 was just too stiff.
Overall a much better towing experience than with the Tri-Glide and our 20K Reese.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote