Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2014, 03:14 AM   #1

Level Up issues

1. Ever since a Camping World mechanic tried to use the level up with a dead battery, I don't get many of the programmed features and the LCD is blank at all times. Jacks still operate and it will self level. How can I reboot it?
2. When I lock the hitch and retract the front jacks, the coach moves backward nearly 6 inches when I start to raise the rear jacks, even up hill. Has anyone else had this issue?
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #2

On number 2, just curious what scenario you would have where you hitch up, raise the front jacks, then raise the back?

I've always raised the rear jacks before I even hook up to the truck.

Just wondering if that is why you are noticing the roll-back more than usual. Rollback is normally just the truck rolling back to rest on the park pin. It can be minimized by setting the park brake.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #3

No clue what's going on with the blank LCD screen on the LevelUp???

As for #2, mine also rolls back several inches when I lift the front pads, I always assumed it was due to putting back pressure on the king pin when hitching. I use the Auto-Retract feature which raises all the jacks at the same time.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW Cal View Post
1. Ever since a Camping World mechanic tried to use the level up with a dead battery, I don't get many of the programmed features and the LCD is blank at all times. Jacks still operate and it will self level. How can I reboot it?
2. When I lock the hitch and retract the front jacks, the coach moves backward nearly 6 inches when I start to raise the rear jacks, even up hill. Has anyone else had this issue?

My screen went black and the service center sent me a new one to install. The install is VERY easy and took about 5 minutes. As for the rig moving when you raise the jacks.....this is normal unless you block the wheels. As long as the trailer is hooked up to the truck.......no worries.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #5

Sorry, I probably did not state the conditions well.
When I hook up to my Ram 3500 from a level starting position I raise the front manually until I can get near the correct hitching height, which is pretty high due to my high truck bed. Once I'm hitched, safety wire attached, power cable attached to the truck and truck brake set, I retract the front jacks. Then I retract the rear jacks manually, which raises 4 jacks. The RV immediately moves backward when I initiate the rear jack retract. I always chock when the site is even a little sloped, but the rear wheels will ride up very high on the chocks when I retract the rear jacks. I am thinking the problem is due to a jack not being perfectly vertical, thus placing a horizontal load component on the rig to the front, which releases upon retraction. I just returned from a 6000 mile trip with 18 different sites and the problem seems to be getting a little worse.
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #6

Don't see the results being different regardless of whether you raise the rear or front jacks first, the coach typically rolls back a small distance unless the wheels are blocked?

Just our of curiosity, why do you raise the rear jacks last?
Old 10-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
Site Team

I don't think you have a problem.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #8

I recommend you raise the rear jacks first, then raise or lower your front jacks to hitch up. There really is no need to have your rear jacks down when hitching up.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:

Relative to No.1..............check the connector on the back side of the controller. Pull it out and check that all of the 6 or 8 pins are fully seated into the connector housing. Sometimes the pins don't get fully seated or work themselves loose from the connector housing. Then plug the connector back into the controller and try the controller again. If it still doesn't provide a display, the controller likely needs to be replaced.

Relative to No. 2............I always raise the rear jacks manually before hooking up to the truck. I then raise the front of the trailer to a predetermined height that I measure with a tape measure so that it is very close to the correct hook-up height. I back the truck into position and adjust the trailer height if needed. Once hooked up, I raise the front jacks place the trailer weight on the truck and then remove the wheel chocks if I have used them.

On edit.....I have never had the trailer move more than a couple of inches when I raise the front jacks to put the trailer weight on the truck.

Good luck.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #10

Hmmm.... I never even thought of that!
I'll give it a try
Old 10-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #11
Site Team

I ALWAYS use the "auto retract" mode when I retract my jacks without any problem at all. What's the point of having an automated system that doesn't make the system automated.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post

Relative to No.1..............check the connector on the back side of the controller. Pull it out and check that all of the 6 or 8 pins are fully seated into the connector housing. Sometimes the pins don't get fully seated or work themselves loose from the connector housing. Then plug the connector back into the controller and try the controller again. If it still doesn't provide a display, the controller likely needs to be replaced.

Relative to No. 2............I always raise the rear jacks manually before hooking up to the truck. I then raise the front of the trailer to a predetermined height that I measure with a tape measure so that it is very close to the correct hook-up height. I back the truck into position and adjust the trailer height if needed. Once hooked up, I raise the front jacks place the trailer weight on the truck and then remove the wheel chocks if I have used them.

On edit.....I have never had the trailer move more than a couple of inches when I raise the front jacks to put the trailer weight on the truck.

Good luck.
Well, Hoosier guy, Indiana just became my favorite place!
I disconnected the 4 wire cable from the back of the panel. All the connectors looked good, but in removing the 12VDC the system did a reset and my LCD now works. I presume the programming also works, but I didn't check it yet.

As to my rearwards movement problem, I think when I raise the front while the rear jacks are down I tilt the RW and the rear jacks pick up the load. Then when I retract them they have to slip. I think raising the rear jacks prior to the hitching will fix this, too.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
Site Team

RW-cal remember, all transmission have a little play in them when you put a truck in park. When you raise the landing gear the trailer rolls a little.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Well, Hoosier guy, Indiana just became my favorite place!
I disconnected the 4 wire cable from the back of the panel. All the connectors looked good, but in removing the 12VDC the system did a reset and my LCD now works. I presume the programming also works, but I didn't check it yet.

As to my rearwards movement problem, I think when I raise the front while the rear jacks are down I tilt the RW and the rear jacks pick up the load. Then when I retract them they have to slip. I think raising the rear jacks prior to the hitching will fix this, too.

Glad to hear that it helped. Safe travels.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #15

I'm like Dave...
Having done the manual leveling and all with previous 5er's,
I have a hard time deciding if I like the auto level or auto retract more

I have an idea you could try - maybe the roll back means you are pushing too much when hooking up and putting a slight bind on the connection...

as soon as I hear the distinctive 'clack' of our hitch grabbing the pin,
I put the truck in neutral and let off the brakes to let it 'settle' so there is no pressure on the rw either way...

then if it moves, it's very slight...

but have heard from others our ford trucks when going from reverse to park WILL push back a bit more when you let off the brake
(I can prove it by takng a peek at the sheet rock at the back of the garage at our house - has indentations where the backup sensors made little circles in it !)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
(I can prove it by takng a peek at the sheet rock at the back of the garage at our house - has indentations where the backup sensors made little circles in it !)
hahaha - was just going out in the garage tonight to fill all those holes I made with the old truck! This one is a bit easier to get in and the camera helps so hopefully no more holes.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote