Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #1

If you're planning on buying a new Ram

Just heard this at the dealer that I go to this morning. In the 2019 model year Ram is offering the Allison transmission as an option. I would imagine that would take the place of the Aisan transmission. That would be a great combination in my opinion. On the way home I contacted a friend of mine that works as an engineer at one of the transmission plants in Kokomo and he confirmed it. He also said that there has been rumors that Ram and Cummins could possibly be parting ways and there replacement would be the Detroit diesel. I hope not. Just thought I would pass this along.
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #2

Great information. I have a 2013 Ram 3500 Dually and I've heard the same rumors since I purchased my 2013 too. The reasoning I heard (not verified) was that the Diesel Exhaust System was a huge problem. I had nothing but headaches with my Cummins, until they finally figured out the problem and fixed it. Allison is a great Tranny to have, but Detroit Diesel not the best choice. I hope RAM keeps the Cummins in their trucks.
camper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Brenda View Post
Great information. I have a 2013 Ram 3500 Dually and I've heard the same rumors since I purchased my 2013 too. The reasoning I heard (not verified) was that the Diesel Exhaust System was a huge problem. I had nothing but headaches with my Cummins, until they finally figured out the problem and fixed it. Allison is a great Tranny to have, but Detroit Diesel not the best choice. I hope RAM keeps the Cummins in their trucks.
The Cummins is the only reason I buy Rams.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #4

I'm a GM guy, the Duramax is a great engine & with the Allison tranny for towing is hard to beat. If they put the Allison behind the Cummins, that thing would be a beast.
Cummins or Duramax teamed with Allison transmissions & Ford will be in deep 3rd place in the towing business. Just my .02 cents!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #5

I thought that Ram with that new xmission was the Cat's Meow. Wonder why they would be considering a change.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:32 AM   #6

Maybe Fiat is upset the Cummins is selling smaller diesels to Nissan?
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:07 AM   #7

I had heard the rumor about switching away from Cummins, but what I heard was Cat, so I guess only time will tell.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I had heard the rumor about switching away from Cummins, but what I heard was Cat, so I guess only time will tell.
cat got out of the over the road truck engine market back in mid 2000's . They didn't EGR / DFP and the EPA.