Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #1

Check Trailer Break Wiring/Break Disconnected

I'm traveling in the Yukon and Alaska and am having break problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated since no local techs are available.
When I first connect and start driving I have breaks. A few minutes into the drive, the Check Break Wiring message shows up, followed by the Breaks Disconnected message (2015 RAM 3500). At that point I have no breaks for the drive.
With truck disconnected:
- Pulled breakaway switch, breaks work
- Ohms check shows magnets at .7ohms (no open wires)
- Current check shows 14A when breaks engaged
- Connected Ford truck and breaks work
Truck checks:
- Took truck to dealer, controller checked ok, connectors cleaned

Is there an in-line thermal fuse on the Redwood brakes? I have a 2015 36FB. When I shut down everything and restart the truck, with the trailer attached, the breaks work for a few minutes and then cycle to check wiring and then disconnected??!! Any ideas welcome...
Steve
LoSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #2

most newer trucks look for the resistance of the magnets connector the truck, If it doesn't see the magnets resistance or the resitance becomes shorted to ground it gives you a error message and in the case with GM trucks the controller will not put out power to the brakes in the trailer. If your connector is clean and every spot you feel has good connections like the back of the trailer wire plug in the truck (very rare a factory connector has problems ) if its a plug a RV dealer installed start looking there for poor connections. the next area to look at is many manufactures put the brake power wires threw the axle tube from left to right side wheels. This is a VERY BAD IDEA , the wire get chafed inside the tube because its not supported. I had a trailer this happened to ,cut the wires pulled them out the far side and found very little insulated wire useable! I tie rap an new cable on the top side of the axle and pulled it for the next 3 years with out a problem. look at those two areas first , also check the 4" sq box right behind your pin box , maybe you have a bad spice . rough roads and many miles and the wires in the axel don't last .
Old 07-28-2019, 07:51 PM   #3

Question, I have a 2013 Chevrolet Duramax, When I picked my 2019 3901WB up at the dealer and started to leave, I discovered that I had no brakes on the trailer. I had them on my trade in that I dropped off at the dealer at the same time. The Service Manager connected something to the trailer that made the brakes lock up. So they said it was my truck. Upon getting home I took the truck to my local Chevy dealer to check the brakes. They found nothing wrong. Is there an issue with the GM integrated trailer braking system when connecting to a redwood? If so, does anybody know the fix?
toebenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by toebenders View Post
Question, I have a 2013 Chevrolet Duramax, When I picked my 2019 3901WB up at the dealer and started to leave, I discovered that I had no brakes on the trailer. I had them on my trade in that I dropped off at the dealer at the same time. The Service Manager connected something to the trailer that made the brakes lock up. So they said it was my truck. Upon getting home I took the truck to my local Chevy dealer to check the brakes. They found nothing wrong. Is there an issue with the GM integrated trailer braking system when connecting to a redwood? If so, does anybody know the fix?

I am.assuming the new trailer has disk brakes.and your old trail had.drums. most GM trucks with factory controller need a disk brake adapter installed in the trailer , once it's installed your factory controller will work but the gain adjustment should be set around 6 for.your first try and fine adjust from there. Leaving it set to 10 will turn on your disk brakes way.to hard. See if that helps
Old 03-29-2021, 03:23 AM   #5

XCMARK

Is the disc brakes adapter for the truck or for the trailer? And who am I getting it from?
Paultherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:40 PM   #6

Brakerite EHB Converter

If your hydraulic power pack is TITAN by Dexter you can get it from Performance Trailer Braking. Call Mike (405) 626-7009

2007.5 Chev Dually, B&W Companion, RDS 50 Gal. Transfer Tank
2012 36RL, Titan Disc Brakes, Upgraded Springs, MORryde wet bolts, MORryde Crossmember, Sailun Tires
jrlsburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:35 PM   #7

Or you can build your own using several electric brake magnets.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultherock View Post
XCMARK

Is the disc brakes adapter for the truck or for the trailer? And who am I getting it from?
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...r/HBA-CAM.html

This is what I have installed in my trailer next to the pump. Regardless of what brake control is connected to the CAM is fools the control and thinks it has a connection. I have a 2020 GM truck and I had a 2016 GM both had no issue with the Titan pump with this installed.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:59 AM   #9

For some unknown reason, the 2017-19 GMs didn't need an adapter, BUT the 2020-21 do.
Who knows what GM was thinking.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote