Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #21

There is a separate setting for AGM on the battery charger I purchased to keep my Classic Truck battery charged and maintained. Which begs the question, will our Redwood Converter/Chargers properly charge AGM?

Being on this forum for a couple of years now, I am sure I remember people successfully converting to AGM without a problem, but I think the setting on my charger changes the rate of the charge.

Do you have to change anything in the Redwood charging system or is it simply change the batteries?
Old 12-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #22

I called Magnum and spoke directly to the tech’s there, and there is a special setting just for AGM’s.

He even went as far as to tell me that the Lifeline has their own serting on there..

I suggest you drip them a line and verify that yours will also... I do not want to assume that they are all the same .
Joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:53 PM   #23

Magnum makes it difficult to find in the manual and I can't even find it myself again today, but our 2812 Magnum had a battery type setting for FLOOD, AGM 1, and AGM 2. The AGM types were for Trojan, Lifeline as 1 if I remember, and all others 2. The setting tells the inverter what voltage to maintain on the top end so I assume AGM's like a different fully charged voltage than flooded.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #24

Here are the manuals for the Magnum. Battery selection is in the manual for the remote.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Magnum Inverter.pdf (1.10 MB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf Magnum ME-MR Remote.pdf (574.9 KB, 20 views)
shrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrode View Post
Here are the manuals for the Magnum. Battery selection is in the manual for the remote.
Ah ha!! There it is. Thank you - I keep forgetting the remote has its own manual. I guessed wrong on several counts - there are 4 types of batteries and Lifeline is unique but Trojan is in with the bulk of the other types of AGMs.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Now would be a really great time to put a battery tray in .......
When this set gets replaced there will be a MorRyde tray installed at the same time. Just sayin'

That is exactly what I did 3 years ago..............

I installed 2 Interstate Marine/RV Deep Cycle, grp 29 batteries in the tray and that has worked well for my needs. The batteries are easily accessed for service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 RW Bat 006.jpg (201.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 2014 RW Bat 011.jpg (206.1 KB, 17 views)

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
That is exactly what I did 3 years ago..............

I installed 2 Interstate Marine/RV Deep Cycle, grp 29 batteries in the tray and that has worked well for my needs. The batteries are easily accessed for service.
Guy...Nice install. Are you concerned about the batteries gassing off? My battery box covers have been removed since day 1 and I haven't seen any ill effects. Of course, that doesn't mean it's right.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Guy...Nice install. Are you concerned about the batteries gassing off? My battery box covers have been removed since day 1 and I haven't seen any ill effects. Of course, that doesn't mean it's right.
I understand the concern the concern about the batteries out gassing, but, as long as there is ventilation, I don't think the batteries necessarily need to be enclosed and ventilated. I added a second ventilation hole under the tray.

At the time I installed the Mor/Ryde tray, I could not find a battery box small enough that would fit the tray and still accept at least the group 29 batteries. I have had the tray installed with the batteries for slightly over 3 years and have not seen any detrimental effects. There's not really much difference than the way batteries are installed in most automobiles.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcountrybarry View Post
E-Z Red S520 Side Battery Lifter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OQHRR4..._8ThnAbDPTT8AK

Uriah Products UV001970 17-1/2", Vinyl Battery Carrier Strap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FDXIGWS..._zVhnAb26QJ51G

Both work well, strap needs a bit more headroom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I ended up getting both these lifters from Amazon and they were both useful. I wrestled the wet cell grp 27's out. They were lighter than the grp 31 AGM's. I should have removed the battery cases that were housing the 27's, but they were riveted in place, so I left them in. The AGM's fit, but just barely! Once you get a grp 31 in to the case it takes some grunting to get it in place. If I ever replace the grp 31's I will pull out the 2 cases and put in a battery tray.

I set the Magnum to AGM-2 and used 200 AH, which is a little less than the 210 AH combined rating. Also set to 100% charge. I'm not really sure why!

We are spending Christmas in Jacksonville, FL at the Flamingo Lake RV Resort. Pretty noisy site, but it is 80 degrees!
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #30

Well that’s pretty cool to hear. I live in Jacksonville near the Intracoastal on Atlantic Blvd. I bet there is pretty good traffic noise off of 295 there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote