Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2022, 05:48 AM   #1

Aux fuel tank

Hello everyone, I have a question about adding a 100 gallon fuel tank in the front of the truck bed. 2019 Chevy 3500 DRW 8ft bed. pulling a 2017 36 RL. Pin weight is around 3500#. Payload on the truck is approximately 5000#. I am just barely touching the overload springs. Would the weight of the auxiliary tank and fuel improve the ride quality? Hitch is a Curt 24k. RW has the Tri glide pin box. Truck also has air bags installed.
dave737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave737 View Post
Hello everyone, I have a question about adding a 100 gallon fuel tank in the front of the truck bed. 2019 Chevy 3500 DRW 8ft bed. pulling a 2017 36 RL. Pin weight is around 3500#. Payload on the truck is approximately 5000#. I am just barely touching the overload springs. Would the weight of the auxiliary tank and fuel improve the ride quality? Hitch is a Curt 24k. RW has the Tri glide pin box. Truck also has air bags installed.

100 gallon maybe more then you need for a full day plus of travel. Think about it 130 gallons x 6 MPG = 780 miles and 6 gallons to spare for safe margin to your next stop. I have a RDS 60 gallon tank and If i could have found the money transfer flow tank was at the top of my list. There pump and software driven controls is really the safe way to never have a fuel spill. The tank I have has a small shallow tool box and all sits under the bed rails so a soft cover goes right over it to conceal its in the truck. Yes the fuel weight does take the harsh hits out of the back of the truck .
Old 04-09-2022, 08:03 PM   #3

I have a 2020 GMC 3500HD Dually and added a 90 gal tank in my bad ... I absolutely love it BUT you do need to in fact do all the math to make sure you do not crush your truck's payload capacity ...

Our GMC is a diesel, crew cab, 4x4, long bed which all add weight to the base weight thus taking away from the payload remaining (14,000 pound payload capacity with 5200 pounds remaining before I added the tank/fuel, tool box, and pin weight). My tank, and American Truck Cover with scrolling tonneau cover and tool box all set above the tank and then totally covers the entire bed, tank, hitch and all ... add in the hitch, weight of passengers, and my Redwood pin of 3920 pounds, I am technically 140 pounds overweight. If I add any additional passengers or cargo, I will need to potentially reduce the fuel load BUT all that being said, the truck performs very well, there is no squat when I hitch up, and we get about 11-12 mpg when towing. This gives us about 1,300 to 1,400 miles on a full tank (GMC has 36 gal tank for a total of 126 gallons) This gives us the ability to fuel up when we are not towing the RV thus get into any gas station ... not just the big truck stops with the over the top price for diesel. We still pull over often on our travels, but just not for gas! It is totally worth the effort, just make sure your truck can carry the weight.
webberwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 04:20 AM   #4

Thanks for the information. I already have a 100 gallon tank that we use on the farm. Was thinking about using it mainly for convenience. The truck stops can be a pain sometimes. I will check out my weights close, and can stop at less than 100 gallon if needed. If it improves my ride, then that is icing on the cake.
dave737 is offline   Reply With Quote