Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2021, 07:30 PM   #1

A tail of 2 valve stems

Back in February I discovered the drivers inside dual tire to be flat. We don't drive the truck much, I try and take it for a spin once a month, that's when TPMS said 0. The rubber on the valve stem had rotted. Took just the tire to the stealer (I never learn) and they replaced the valve stem and the TPMS sensor (they are 2 separate pieces easily taken apart). Last month on our way back from Utah (about a 6000 mile trip) on our second to last leg my TPMS said the front tire had 2 pounds in it. Pulled over and front tire was fine. Continued on and when we got to the next campground I discovered the Passenger inside dually was flat (TPMS said front tire was at 0 now). Got trailer set up and put on spare. The spare was OEM and never used so it was taller then the second tire. Of course it doesn't have a TPMS and I was a little concerned it would not share the load with the other tire, although I had just driven maybe a few hundred miles on 3 tires in the back with no noticeable affects. The three remaining back TPMS stayed the same pressure for the rest of the trip home, so it appears the height difference had no affect. It appears that RAM TPMS valve stems only have a useful life of around 7 years. So now I have replaced the second valve stem ($7 from Amazon) and put the tire back on. Does anyone think I damaged the tire by running it flat for say 100 miles. It hadn't come off the bead or anything, and it pumped back up just fine. We aren't towing the trailer until the end of July so any feedback would be appreciated. I plan on driving it solo a few times before we go and monitoring the tire.
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:38 PM   #2

Only way to really tell, is take it to a reliable tire dealer and have it dismounted and inspected.
I ran one flat for an unknown number of miles before discovering, my dealer say it was damaged internally.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:45 PM   #3

Inside tire flat

I just had an unexplainable thing as well. I don't drive my tow vehicle as often either. But I do check my tires often. Last week cranked up and was running down the interstate and check the computer for my tire pressure. The inside driver side said 25 psi. Hmmm Drove a bit further and pulled over to eat. checked it with manual gauge and sure enough 25 PSI. So I pulled out the compressor and brought it up to 65 psi. Drove another 130 miles and watched it to see how quickly it lost PSI. It didn't!! Watched it for the past week sitting for 3 days then driving it again. And after a full week no loss of psi. ???? Now I am fearful it will let me down once I load up my RV next week to haul home.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:56 AM   #4

I would replace it.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:13 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Had a similar problem with a brand new Sailun tire on our redwood. Turned out that the tire was leaking where it seals with the rim. Tire shop deflated the tire and spread some black sealant on the inside of the rim. Reinflated tire and no more problem.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:51 PM   #6

Might have something in the tire that leaks only when setting on it.
I think I would at least pull it and check it closer.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:47 AM   #7

mstan. I would recommend aggressively wiggling the valve stem. My first failure the rubber was visibly cracked and would leak as soon as

i put air in it. The second tire pumped up fine and there was no audible leaking until I wiggled the valve stem. The rubber on that valve stem didn't appear rotten like the first one, but as soon as I pushed on it a little the air escaped between the rubber and the inner metal tube.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:49 PM   #8

I would only use metal valve stems on high psi wheels/tires. My dually only came with them that way, and I had them installed on the Redwood. Especially if you use a cap style TPMS!
webberwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:53 AM   #9

it appears Dodge cheaped out on the inner tires of the duallys as the other 4 tires all have metal valve stems. I didn't really look further then the OEM valve stems for the inner tires. My redwood already has metal valve stems.