Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #1

5th wheel pin box lock

here's a conversation I haven't seen yet. we all know with certain prices of 5vers comes with different levels of security for it. how much money would you spend on your redwood while your away? and would a pin box lock be all you would use? if so what brand? and what price?
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRAKOWITZ View Post
here's a conversation I haven't seen yet. we all know with certain prices of 5vers comes with different levels of security for it. how much money would you spend on your redwood while your away? and would a pin box lock be all you would use? if so what brand? and what price?
I absolutely recommend a pin box lock, especially if you store your fifth wheel where others have access. Mine is a "u"shaped piece of steel with a lock that attaches to it around the pin. Could someone break that lock? Yes, but they would have to spend some time doing it, so I figure they would look for an unlocked rv first. I also recommend you lock your propane tanks, those have been known to disappear from storage.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #3

I used to lock my SOB, but got tired of dealing with the grease that gets on the lock so I just quit doing it. I'm not so concerned with it I guess. Depends on whether you would be nervous about where you store it maybe.

I do lock the doors and sometimes lock the bikes, but realistically between chairs, grills, gadgets I have laid out at the campsite, I leave a lot to trust
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #4

we store ours at our ranch in south texas were the oil drilling is extreme so you can see what and who is around in my area. but my ranch is different than most because it has a leeway thru the center of it with a cylinder lock on it with 12 locks so other ranchers can get in to their ranches past mine. I have cattle on my place for the tax write off so I need to keep gates closed....but in my area in a very small town it seems that every one there either has a key to one of the locks or knows a combination to another so security is important to me. but i'm kinda tied between what to use for pin locks because in the last 5ver I had a gooseneck conversion on it and had a different lock on that one.
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I used to lock my SOB, but got tired of dealing with the grease that gets on the lock so I just quit doing it. I'm not so concerned with it I guess. Depends on whether you would be nervous about where you store it maybe.

I do lock the doors and sometimes lock the bikes, but realistically between chairs, grills, gadgets I have laid out at the campsite, I leave a lot to trust
It can definitely be a hassle locking everything. Our experience in campgrounds is that if things end up missing it's usually teenagers that are out at night running around without their parents knowing it. they are usually looking for something to do at all hours of the night. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I am more concerned with what can occur in the storage facilities where a lot of people have access at all hours.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #6

I agree with you on that...at the coast in tx were we stay in august we have had some issues but that's cheap compared to your own trailer...in my other 5ver I always had ice chest full of beers waters and soda because we had the single door norcold and space in there was prime real estate so I lost to using ice chest....well I left a couple of them outside and always noticed drinks missing out of them. but it was my nearby neighbors helping themselves because later in the week they brought back what they used but in cheap A$$ beer instead...at least they did that...but I am more interested in the trailer than anything.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #7

ive had my propane tanks emptied out at our ranch...that sucks when its deer season and no heat for the night.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #8

I imagine a guy could hook up and take one of these and stick it out on some section of land and live out of it and nobody would give it a second thought. No registering or license plates. The risk is certainly there.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #9

there are the two pin locks I have narrowed to. a master lock or a war-lok. both are used widely on trucking company trailers and both have great reviews but the war-lok has the best in my mind because it handles back up damage because of the conical shape.

img.jpg

TKP-10.jpg
Old 07-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #10

so you can see why I am concerned since my ranch is out in the middle of nowhere kinda next to Egypt
Old 07-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #11
lwg

I have frequently considered this. I currently don't lock the 5th Wheel Pin Box, have thought about it and decided you'd have to understand how to raise the leveling jacks along with other bits on this trailer to steal it, and do that quickly. So when we're camped (which is all the time) we don't lock it. However I do use the long coated cables you get from Lowes with massive combination locks to lock down the bikes and the grill. I make sure the lock is very visible.

So far no problems...
Old 07-18-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
Site Team

I have a lock but don't use it
Old 07-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #13

We've been RVing since 86 and have never had any problems of any kind. Just reading this thread makes me think about things though....naw, I'm retired and don't do that anymore!
usaf1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
lwg

If I ever left ours in a storage lot I might add the pin lock, but otherwise it doesn't make sense for the places we camp.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #15
Site Team

I figured my trailer is insured, if they take it, I'll get another one.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #16

X2 Dave, after downsizing to go fulltime we realized it's just stuff & can be replaced. It would piss me off though.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRAKOWITZ View Post
I agree with you on that...at the coast in tx were we stay in august we have had some issues but that's cheap compared to your own trailer...in my other 5ver I always had ice chest full of beers waters and soda because we had the single door norcold and space in there was prime real estate so I lost to using ice chest....well I left a couple of them outside and always noticed drinks missing out of them. but it was my nearby neighbors helping themselves because later in the week they brought back what they used but in cheap A$$ beer instead...at least they did that...but I am more interested in the trailer than anything.
If my neighbors take my beer, they better not bring me back a different brand, or they will get an ear full. My Miller Lite is sacred.
JerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:42 AM   #18

I'm 150% polish. Beer is beer it's like water to us. At least they tried Most of them would've taken and not returned
Old 07-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #19

My buddies 5er was robbed while at the dealer (stuff inside robbed). They took tools, electronics, and oddly enough his socks.

He has never been able to shake off the fact that they took his socks

Every time he talks about it and starts to get angry, he brings up the socks. I think it did permanent damage to him. I leave a pair on the step of his coach every morning when we camp together, in case he doesn't have any.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #20

Ok that's comforting to hear since my 5ver is at the dealer with all if our stuff in there including socks.