Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #61

The thing I hate most when Towing is when you pass a Semi and some idiot behind me cannot even wait until I get back over into right lane. They jump over in the right lane and try to pass on that side. But to there surprise I put on my blinker and come on over. They might want to think twice about that move again.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:17 PM   #62

Being retired, we don't have any "hard" schedules to follow and we generally haul at 60-65 MPH, even here in California where the interstates are posted at 55 we follow the truckers who seem to do 65 regardless.

One thing that makes us laugh is seeing some of those speed demons pass us two or three times on each stretch we travel!

Recalling some of my long ago Engineering, wind resistance increases at the square of the velocity so we save some fuel $$ as well.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
The thing I hate most when Towing is when you pass a Semi and some idiot behind me cannot even wait until I get back over into right lane. They jump over in the right lane and try to pass on that side. But to there surprise I put on my blinker and come on over. They might want to think twice about that move again.
I installed some awesome mid-turn lights on my last rig that usually warned off that guy on the right. I should probably install them on this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05102007 Midturn Lights 02.jpg (617.5 KB, 6 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc View Post

One thing that makes us laugh is seeing some of those speed demons pass us two or three times on each stretch we travel!

We just came back around to laugh at the old goats!
Old 01-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #65

I have blinkers on the sides of our RW they are close to the front. The idiots should never pass on the blind side anyway but some people cant wait. Guess they take the chance I don't see them and come over.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
I have blinkers on the sides of our RW they are close to the front. The idiots should never pass on the blind side anyway but some people cant wait. Guess they take the chance I don't see them and come over.
Your Redwood has mid-turn lights? or did you add them?

I know some brands have them, didn't know Redwood started it yet.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
duplicate post!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:14 PM   #68

Quote:
Brad, in our days RVing in Mexico we were frequently passed by cars, we used to laugh and then say "there goes Pedro, he's going nowhere fast" (after a famous Mexican F1 driver that us of a certain age will remember). Sure enough 10 miles down the road Pedro was parked at a store or dining establishment. We haven't come up with a phrase for folks here NOB yet.

I can say that I was glad that I was going only are around 60 or so when I had a G614 on our trailer explode on me (probably debris on the road) on the interstate in Memphis Tn. It took out the fender, damaged the lower cover behind the fender and ripped open part of the plastic under body cover, fortunately the disc brake lines remained intact. We were able to pull off and with duct tape and a spare we got on the road again.

I wouldn't like to try that at 75 or 80.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc View Post
Brad, in our days RVing in Mexico we were frequently passed by cars, we used to laugh and then say "there goes Pedro, he's going nowhere fast" (after a famous Mexican F1 driver that us of a certain age will remember). Sure enough 10 miles down the road Pedro was parked at a store or dining establishment. We haven't come up with a phrase for folks here NOB yet.

I can say that I was glad that I was going only are around 60 or so when I had a G614 on our trailer explode on me (probably debris on the road) on the interstate in Memphis Tn. It took out the fender, damaged the lower cover behind the fender and ripped open part of the plastic under body cover, fortunately the disc brake lines remained intact. We were able to pull off and with duct tape and a spare we got on the road again.

I wouldn't like to try that at 75 or 80.
So are you saying the whole world needs to slow down to your speed because that is where you feel the most comfortable?
Old 01-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #70

What were your crappy tires???
gvtahoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:35 PM   #71

This is the way I see it . . . On the average highway you have 3 lanes of traffic... the Granny Lane (RIGHT) should be used for the speed limit or less... The Sandwich Lane (MIDDLE) is used to pass the Granny Lane , and an intermediate speed.. Then the Hammer Lane ( LEFT ) is used to PASS ONLY...

WE ALL should be able to so-exist on the highways no matter what speed we are doing , towing or not towing.... Its just that simple.

I have NO ISSUES with people that want to do 60mph in a 70mph zone , as long as they are in the proper lanes.. don't be in the Hammer Lane doing it... That clogs up the entire highway for folks that ARE NOT TOWING , and folks that tow at a higher speed...

I generally try and stay right around 65 towing , and I WILL be in the right 2 lanes ONLY...

I just drove to VA and made a note about what I saw... Whenever I came up to major traffic clogs , it was 75% caused by someone going real slow in the left lane and everyone switching lanes back and forth trying to get around them... That's just down right dangerous
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvtahoe88 View Post
What were your crappy tires???
Those "crappy" tires were Goodyear G614's with less than 2 years on them!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #73

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
We're you using aTPM when it happened. Mine saved me twice on our last trip when a valve stem started leaking. It helped avert a blowout. The problem with the g and higher rated tires is they don't look flat until all the air is out. By that time it's to late. They look fine in the mirrors until they let go.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
This is the way I see it . . . On the average highway you have 3 lanes of traffic... the Granny Lane (RIGHT) should be used for the speed limit or less... The Sandwich Lane (MIDDLE) is used to pass the Granny Lane , and an intermediate speed.. Then the Hammer Lane ( LEFT ) is used to PASS ONLY...

WE ALL should be able to so-exist on the highways no matter what speed we are doing , towing or not towing.... Its just that simple.

I have NO ISSUES with people that want to do 60mph in a 70mph zone , as long as they are in the proper lanes.. don't be in the Hammer Lane doing it... That clogs up the entire highway for folks that ARE NOT TOWING , and folks that tow at a higher speed...

I generally try and stay right around 65 towing , and I WILL be in the right 2 lanes ONLY...

I just drove to VA and made a note about what I saw... Whenever I came up to major traffic clogs , it was 75% caused by someone going real slow in the left lane and everyone switching lanes back and forth trying to get around them... That's just down right dangerous
I agree. Some of the states around here are writing tickets for slow drivers hanging out in the left lanes, I think Wyoming - New Mexico, but I don't think Colorado. I really think its awful when we can't move traffic through a city after a 5 year upgrade to 10 lanes wide, just because everyone spreads out and drives next to each other, oblivious to life around them. That was an expensive upgrade that we will pay for for decades.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:14 PM   #75

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
As far as road running goes I run 68 to about 73 for my best mileage. I have no quams about driving up to 80 when necessary. Drive whatever you are comfortable with
Old 01-04-2016, 10:18 PM   #76

Quote:
So are you saying the whole world needs to slow down to your speed because that is where you feel the most comfortable?
Well I like to drive at a reasonable speed but I will give some experiences from another locale.

A number of years ago where we come from we had a problem with a rash of multiple fatality accidents caused by tractor trailer "cowboys" causing accidents because of high speed driving, unfortunately in most cases the cowboys lived but the folks in the cars they hit got killed.

Our legislature smartened up and passed a law requiring all tractor trailers (whether local, out-of province or American) to have their tractors governed to 105 km./hr (that's about the same speed as for cars in California and it's 5 km./hr above the legal limit on our controlled access highways). It's easy to do with today's computer technology.

The law has reduced the fatal accidents. It's probably easy to spot the offenders, if the truck is running 110 km./hr it gets pulled over and the computer gets plugged in, the driver gets a speeding ticket and a hefty fine for not being governed. Safety inspections would also reveal if the truck was governed or not. Not sure if the Americans have the capability of governing and un-governing their trucks on the fly or not, or their trucks coming to Canada are dedicated and governed.

The only downside I see with the change is the occasional "racing" I see, a unit in the curb lane and another in the second lane over, both going at 105, but that can be fixed as well (it's called blocking traffic).
Old 01-04-2016, 10:45 PM   #77

Ya, we can pass "nanny" laws too, and even turn the driving over to Google, but I hope those are days saved for after I'm gone.

I will say truckers are their own bad example, and don't represent anything close to the average joe driving an RV. There are professional drivers, and then there are those paid to be professionals but don't have a care or a clue.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:56 PM   #78

Brad
I had the side marking lights on the RW converted to be blinkers. I have a Friend that did it. He did the work in about 2 hours worked out great. I need to have the rear marking lights done but have not gotten around to it yet.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #79

Thats great! Thats probably what I should do someday. The truck style midturn lights I did on the prior rig I posted actually replaced the side marker light. They were dual filament, but probably a little large for the Redwood.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:44 PM   #80

The back ones should be easy enough to convert over. I don't know if we are keeping out RW or not have not made up our mind since we just bought a new house. If we keep it I will have them done this spring.