Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2022, 11:12 PM   #1

2022 1 Ton and a 2022 4001LK Pin Weight

Due to the lemon law, I am sending back for re-purchase my 2022 GMC 3500 DRW. I’ve used it to pull my 2022 Redwood 4001LK for the past 3000 miles. During that time, I’ve had absolutely no issues as I have the right truck for the right fifth wheel. With that said, there has been many times when not hitched that an SRW would have been preferred. Since I now have the opportunity to revisit my first truck purchase, I’m trying to think of some of the changes I may make. Today, I weighed my truck and the truck plus trailer to determine my pin weight. My pin weight is 4,420 pounds with everything loaded on the RV that normally would be loaded. In doing some quick math that is a 24% pinweight, which is on the higher side but within the normal. This extra weight mostly comes from a generator, a bank of lithium batteries and solar equipment plus the washer and dryer all over the pin.

I know similar topics have been discussed here, and I have read them all sometimes reading them multiple times but this situation is somewhat unique in that I already know my exact weights and I know the manufacturers pinweights advertised. In looking at a few 1 ton trucks I find that the latest 2022 models can support this pin weight, but the real problem is I understand the pin weight advertised is the best case scenario before equipment options are deducted.

Since this truck has to be ordered, and there’s nothing available on the lots to look at the door panels how can I know with certainty before spending $90-$100,000 on a truck that I will be within the pin weight if I decide to go in SRW?

Or, am I just being plain stupid and should I stick with the DRW and deal with the negatives associated with it when not pulling? Your insights are appreciated, thanks!
pciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:22 AM   #2

DRW only if you ask me.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:42 AM   #3

Don't forget that in addition to the pin weight you need to add in the hitch, anything else in the bed, full tank of fuel and passengers in the cab. With that pin weight you're probably pushing the cargo limits of a Dually and would be way over on a SRW, unless you went with a standard single cab with a small gasser engine and then you wouldn't have the grunt to pull that beast.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:31 PM   #4
Site Team

What Michelle said Also - unless you’ve pulled the RW with a SRW before and know what it feels like, I can pretty much guarantee you won’t like the change.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:48 PM   #5

We switched from the F450 DRW to a F350 SRW and it was miserable. Determined either go back to the DRW or sell Redwood and truck and go to MH. Since we are not full timers so the Gas Motorhome made more since for our travels.

We had a 38RL at the time
Old 05-09-2022, 12:34 PM   #6

I appreciate the insight. I'll stick with the DRW, but this time im seriously considering the upper level trims of the Dodge Ram. It's the only 1 ton offering the adaptive cruise, 50 gallon tank and an all black configuration on a DRW.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:35 PM   #7

I had a SRW with 3700 LB of pin weight , I will NEVER entertain pulling that weight with out a DRW truck ever again. Your right at the max weight on the tires and rear springs , it doesnt feel stable and it constantly requires steering corection because the rear of the truck gets pulled around. DO yourself a favor and get a DRW truck of any brand.

Why is GM buying your truck back ? is it due to the motor issue and antifreeze getting into the motor and hydro locking ?
Old 05-10-2022, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCMARK View Post
I had a SRW with 3700 LB of pin weight , I will NEVER entertain pulling that weight with out a DRW truck ever again. Your right at the max weight on the tires and rear springs , it doesnt feel stable and it constantly requires steering corection because the rear of the truck gets pulled around. DO yourself a favor and get a DRW truck of any brand.

Why is GM buying your truck back ? is it due to the motor issue and antifreeze getting into the motor and hydro locking ?
Thanks for the additional information on going with the DRW. The buyback is related to a computer/software problem which goes back to certain trucks that were produced end of last year.
2022 Redwood 4001LK
1500W Solar, 800AH LifePO4 Battery, 6000W Inverter
Cellular Internet, alarm.com system, Cameras w/recorder
Custom Desk w/ 2x 24” Monitors