Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #21

I think we need "Autozone or O'Reillys" type access to parts for our RWs. The response from dealers that "you have to order replacement parts from us, we have to install them, and by the way, it will be 45-60 days before we can get you in" is just unacceptable. I just don't understand the rationale behind this policy. They seem to have more than enough service work to keep them busy. It would be a heck of a lot less stressful if we had access to RW parts that we are willing and able to repair/replace ourselves.
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #22

My dealer is not the problem. We talk all the time. He tells me when he asked for approval, when he gets it, and when the parts, sometimes back-ordered, and when they came in. We are still waiting for a part to come in. Most of the work is completed, and I could pick it up to use for a while, but I want it completely finished when I pick it up. Ask your service manager how he likes dealing with Redwood warranty service vs. the other lines he carries. I cannot recommend a Redwood to anyone.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4happyfeet View Post
Sure would like to hear some encouraging response from ChristianM and Taylor about these issues! I hope they weren't sent to just find out what color of dishes we like with our Godiva interior.
I'll be perfectly honest, at first, we mostly were asked to get on the forums and glean fun places to travel, cool family pictures, and learn more about you guys as travelers. Our department was created to delve into the RV lifestyle and to try to form better relationships with Redwood owners by learning more about them.
However, we were quick to realize what you guys need isn't necessarily a friend, but an advocate to make sure you're taken care of, and to help try to bridge the gap between dealer, Redwood, and Redwood owner! So, many of you have private messaged us with concerns, questions, and customer service issues- and we have passed them to customer service, and followed up on many of them personally. We've had really good results with this system thus far, and hope to continue having those results.

We have definitely seen a gap in dealer communication at times. Three of you have contacted me over the past two weeks to see where your parts were. Upon doing some legwork, it was discovered that the dealer had them...but just forgot to call. Oi!
One of the things we are creating this year is a customer survey system, so that we can start getting unbiased reports about our dealers and their service departments. Because we ALL need to be on the same page in order to get these issues taken care of. (Can I get an amen?)
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:39 PM   #24

Dealer accountability must be implemented somehow, for sure. In the auto industry, you often get a call from the manufacturer after service, triggered presumably by the warranty claim from the service provider, and the service providers fear this call. They often coach the customer "We would really appreciate a high rating" type of comments. The idea of our RV service center saying this makes me laugh out loud. They do NOT care, they have more business than they can handle, and turn people away. I realize the RV industry is different, and for some reason backward to where the service providers have no incentive to care whether Redwood is content with their service or not. I am sure this is due to them being overwhelmed with business. Tracing that problem back to it's origins, it still arrives on the RV manufacturer's doorstep that they ARE so overwhelmed due to faulty, or worse, sloppy, manufacture.

This is an industry problem, for sure, and there are a FEW manufacturer's that are getting it right. It will take a lot of work to fix it. We are very happy to see that Redwood appears to be making a good effort to maintain the customer relationship AFTER the sale. Let's hope it continues. Thanks Christian.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianM View Post
I'll be perfectly honest, at first, we mostly were asked to get on the forums and glean fun places to travel, cool family pictures, and learn more about you guys as travelers. Our department was created to delve into the RV lifestyle and to try to form better relationships with Redwood owners by learning more about them.
However, we were quick to realize what you guys need isn't necessarily a friend, but an advocate to make sure you're taken care of, and to help try to bridge the gap between dealer, Redwood, and Redwood owner! So, many of you have private messaged us with concerns, questions, and customer service issues- and we have passed them to customer service, and followed up on many of them personally. We've had really good results with this system thus far, and hope to continue having those results.

We have definitely seen a gap in dealer communication at times. Three of you have contacted me over the past two weeks to see where your parts were. Upon doing some legwork, it was discovered that the dealer had them...but just forgot to call. Oi!
One of the things we are creating this year is a customer survey system, so that we can start getting unbiased reports about our dealers and their service departments. Because we ALL need to be on the same page in order to get these issues taken care of. (Can I get an amen?)
Thank you Christian, we really do appreciate what you do as an advocate for us. Really the group here is very supportive and very sharing to help each other and to share our experiences with each other. Unfortunately not all is good but for the most part everyone is positive.
The problem isn't just with Redwood and CrossRoads IMO it is an industry issue that many manufactures or dealers really don't care to deal with. Fortunately I belive Redwood is making an attempt.
I think your Customer service Department needs a complete overhaul, unfortunately the guy at the helm of that ship isn't fit to skipper a rowboat. Someone at the top needs to review Redwoods customer service department, shake it up and dump the garbage out to get it fixed.
Dealers are a whole other story and getting customer satisfaction reviews on them is a great start. Maybe some sort of incentive to dealers for favorable reviews needs to be implemented to incentivize the care of customers. (Ie: the dealers net cost of RV's is tied to their rating)
One other suggestion is to develope a resource for the consumer to purchase parts direct without going through the dealer hassle. Even if its a full price web page, many here would rather take care of their own small issues if only there were a place to secure the parts needed without going through the dealer. I'm not talking warranty here, just talking access to the parts themselves. The need for this will grow as more and more units fall out of warranty and repairs fall on the owner.
Anyway, thanks again, we really do appreciate your ear.
~~Yale
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #26

Well said Yale. I completely agree.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 07-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #27

Christian, you guys are doing great! Just remember you'll wear yourself out trying to stomp out spot fires, when the forest is burning behind you. There is a huge disconnect in the infrastructure when some of these warranty claims are denied because of owner expectations for service that is completely beyond reasonable.

I know you pointed out that other manufacturers use a similar manual, but I haven't heard of those manuals being used as a hammer or the "fine print" to deny legitimate claims. Some of these things that have happened on these rigs should have never happened.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #28

X2 what AA Said. On my next coach I will begin shopping at the service centers asking questions about warranty. Only then will I go to the dealer lot to look at the coaches. It is that important.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
X2 what AA Said. On my next coach I will begin shopping at the service centers asking questions about warranty. Only then will I go to the dealer lot to look at the coaches. It is that important.
That's exactly what I did. I went to the service centers and talked with the owners waiting for service. So far this has proven to be the right avenue.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:27 PM   #30

Is it just me, but what's the point in having EZ lube axles if you can't EZ lub them?

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:48 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
You can lube the bearings with them if you don't mind lubing the brakes at the same time!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:57 PM   #32

Exactly!!!

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty glampers View Post
Is it just me, but what's the point in having EZ lube axles if you can't EZ lub them?
I've had two previous TT's with EZ Lube axle s...Lubed them once a year before vacations. Thousands of miles traveled and never had bearing or brake problems.
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:30 AM   #34

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
The SOB trailer probablyhad quality grease seals.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:30 AM   #35

I've had two prior 5ers with EZ lube and I heard the same stories on the forums - (ahhh grease everywhere). These are just regular tapered roller bearings that used to be on our 67 Pontiacs that we never checked until we need brakes. Those didn't have grease zerks, why would we need them on these things.

Boats - maybe, but I have really tried not to back my trailer into the lake. (PS - I don't use them on my boat either)
Old 07-28-2015, 01:26 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dogs View Post
Thank you Christian, we really do appreciate what you do as an advocate for us. Really the group here is very supportive and very sharing to help each other and to share our experiences with each other. Unfortunately not all is good but for the most part everyone is positive.
The problem isn't just with Redwood and CrossRoads IMO it is an industry issue that many manufactures or dealers really don't care to deal with. Fortunately I belive Redwood is making an attempt.
I think your Customer service Department needs a complete overhaul, unfortunately the guy at the helm of that ship isn't fit to skipper a rowboat. Someone at the top needs to review Redwoods customer service department, shake it up and dump the garbage out to get it fixed.
Dealers are a whole other story and getting customer satisfaction reviews on them is a great start. Maybe some sort of incentive to dealers for favorable reviews needs to be implemented to incentivize the care of customers. (Ie: the dealers net cost of RV's is tied to their rating)
One other suggestion is to develope a resource for the consumer to purchase parts direct without going through the dealer hassle. Even if its a full price web page, many here would rather take care of their own small issues if only there were a place to secure the parts needed without going through the dealer. I'm not talking warranty here, just talking access to the parts themselves. The need for this will grow as more and more units fall out of warranty and repairs fall on the owner.
Anyway, thanks again, we really do appreciate your ear.
~~Yale
I too agree. Well said. Redwood could be a cut above the rest if they could get this service problem greatly improved.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:53 AM   #37
S&K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt View Post
I too agree. Well said. Redwood could be a cut above the rest if they could get this service problem greatly improved.
I agree totally! What matters is "after the sale" support.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:08 AM   #38

I think the EZ lube was designed for boat trailers that didn't have/need brakes & grease coming out the seal meant there was no room in there for water.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #39

OK - I just saw this in my Onan manual and had to reflect on the irony of it

Again, one of my chief complaints with Redwood is hearing folks denied warranty because they didn't follow some service interval or recommendation in the owners manual.

Onan Table 3-1, Periodic Maintenance Schedules

General Inspection (Every Day or Every 8 Hours)
Check Engine Oil Level (Every Day or Every 8 Hours)
And so on

Now obviously to me - "hours" means hours of operation, and a "day" would mean a day that is was operating, but holy cow could that be misconstrued! I would have been out of warranty the 9th hour is was on the road because I never did pull over to inspect or check the oil
Old 08-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
I think the EZ lube was designed for boat trailers that didn't have/need brakes & grease coming out the seal meant there was no room in there for water.
I realize several people have had issues with the grease seals but I had my Redwood for exactly 3 years to the day and I didn't have any problems with them. In those 3 years I pulled the Redwood over well over 30,000 miles and repacked the wheel bearings twice. The second time, the grease look so good I thought it was a waste of time.

About 3 times a year (or before a long trip) I would hit each grease zerk with 3 or 4 pumps of grease and I never had a problem. I did have the factory disk brakes.